Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Winning in mind" and the inner game of tennis

Tubguy

After reading and understanding the concept of keeping the conscious mind quite and not thinking. Allowing the sub conscious mind do what it has been imprinting. I am wondering how do this while shooting USPSA.

I understand how do the above can be accomplished in rifle shooting and pistol bullseye shooting. As nothing is really changing.

Each stage in Action Pistol requires thinking, conscious mind, as the stages are each different from each other. I'm looking for advice on how to accomplish this.

I'm looking forward to the dialog about this.

But if you don't want to share in open dialog please pm me. I understand not wanting to share what you found with your competition. I live in Minnesota and a D shooter for a short time.

The conscious mind is used during the planning stage and the subconscious mind runs the plan when you shoot.

+1, and practice & confindence feed your self image. You must have a "I can do this" outlook.

Edited by revomodel10

I like to visualize the stage when I am waiting for my turn to shoot. I try to see the sight picture I need to see on each of the targets and try to run the stage in my mind perfect until I feel like I got it down. Sometimes its just three runs in my mind sometimes it takes a quite a few depending on the complexity of the stage. One of the mistakes I've done in the past (which will never happen again) is overlooking a seemingly simple stage and not taking the time to visualize the stage, and given up points because it seemed easy. I like feeling confident with the stage when its time to load and make ready, and then I'll take a deep breath relax at the are you ready, and then just let go. My best stages don't feel fast at all, the stages I've shoot poorly on feel like I was rushed, if that makes any sense.

JG

• 4 weeks later...

After reading and understanding the concept of keeping the conscious mind quite and not thinking. Allowing the sub conscious mind do what it has been imprinting. I am wondering how do this while shooting USPSA.

Everything you will see, do, and feel must be visualized before you step up to the line. Then at the buzzer, you just start the movie.

be

Prior to stepping to the line if you can not close your eyes and run the entire stage in your mind's eye you are not ready to shoot. You should be able to "see" every target, every shooting position, how you get into every position, how you exit every position, stop markers, stage markers, everything ... Only then are you good to go. When the timer goes off your subconscious mind takes over and you just shoot ... Next to learning to call your shots it is one of the most critical skills you must master.

You can easily spot competitors who don't visualize, I call them the "hunt and peck" crowd ... As they move through a CoF they stutter step and bob and weave like a prize fighter as they try to remember which target to shoot next or if they already shot that target in front of them ...

• 2 months later...

Everything you will see, do, and feel must be visualized before you step up to the line. Then at the buzzer, you just start the movie.

be

What I'm still working on is integrating the sounds of my splits into the "movie". I have a bad habit of using the same cadence for a 20 yd shot as a 7 yd shot in walk-through and as a result - I shoot that cadence. I tried overlaying a better shooter's soundtrack over my own visualization and it helped. I think I just need more time in the practice bay to "record" my own splits on targets while getting acceptable hits. Trying to overcome to accuracy, precision shooter in me.

Make a plan, and practice until you no longer need it.

"When what you have studied leaves your mind entirely ,and practice also disappears , then ,when you perform whatever art you are engaged in ,you accomplish the techniques easily without being inhibited by concern over what you have learned. This is spontaneously conforming to learning without being conscious of doing so. The science of the art of the art of war can be understood through this."

The book of Family Traditions

Just replace the words "art of war" with art of USPSA shooting.

Edited by caspian38