Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1187 problem

John L

I have an 1187P police parkerized model that I have done the following modifications to:

1) installed a DMW "easy loader"- yes, I did install it correctly

2) a Scattergun Tech Oversize bolt operating handle. Before these modifications, the bolt would hold back just fine on loads that would cycle.  I took out the oversize handle, and put the factory one in, but that did not make a difference, so I know it must be the easy loader.

Even with Fed Classic loads, the last shot will not hold open.  Before installation of the easy loader, the gun would hold open on shotshells factory loaded with 1 and 1/8 ounce shot and 3 and 1/4 dram eq. Now, if it does lock back, it's with the classic slugs, and that is only sometimes.  I thought that maybe my rubber o-ring was worn, so I replaced it with a brand new Factory one, but with no change.

Any comments would be valued.

Thanks!

I can't remember precisely what I had to do with mine when faced with exactly the same problem.  Yes, the problem was with the easy loader, where the bolt catch get latched up when the bolt is pushed back without a shell on the carrier.  Check the geometry of those parts.  Sorry, I can only remember that I had to do additional dremel work to the easy loader, reinstall, and the problem went away.  

You may need to remove more metal on the easy loader to tune it up. You should be able to push the easyloader up at least 1/4 inch before the bolt is released. If you look on the easy loader there is a long arm that sticks up against a springloaded bolt release. The easiest way to hone this is to remove the large pin that holds the shell carrier to the trigger group. Once you remove this big hollow pin watch out because a couple of small parts will soon be flying, it is just a plunger and a spring that are easily put back together. Now you will be able to look up inside the easyloader and shell carrier to stone the area that makes contact. If this isn't clear email me, kind of hard to type what needs to be worked.... KyleL

PS also make sure the action is well lubed

Thanks guys,

kyle L, I understand what you are trying to say and mentally I think I can see the parts you mean.  I will give that a try and see what happens.

thanks again.  I am the only guy in my circle of shooting friends  that has an 1187P and so I was at a loss until now.

John L