Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Phoenix Gun Clubs

Good Evening – I apologize if this is not the correct forum to post this question on, so feel free to move it if appropriate. My wife and I are going to be house hunting in Phoenix next week and while there I would like to check out places to shoot. I shoot Bullseye, Trap, and ICORE. The ideal club would have all three disciplines. The clubs/places to shoot that I’m aware of are Rio Salado, Phoenix Rod & Gun, and Ben Avery. The club I currently belong to in Missouri, has an active seniors program for lack of a better term, i.e., retired guys who get together during the week during the day and have informal Bullseye and IDPA competitions. Every club has its cliques, however, I’m looking for a club to get together with a group of guys who enjoy competing with one another, but don’t take life or themselves too seriously. Would appreciate your comments about these and other clubs, contact names would be great. Thanks, Tom

If you are looking for a low-key, enjoyable IDPA match with some of the attributes you have described, look no further than the ones at Phoenix Rod & Gun Club. Nothing during weekdays daytime, but there are weekday evening matches in addition to weekend daytime matches. Check out their website and then go to the "Practical" section for match results and calendars.

I shoot all three locations.

Rio has trap Monday thru Friday. They only have one trap set up , but during the week that is not an issue. Be aware, Tuesday is wobble trap and the throwers are dialed fast. They also have 5 stand and a 12 station sporting clays course. Check their calendar for the 5 stand. The sporting clays course is open 7 days a week.

They also have an excellent monthly Icore match , they tend to schedule classifiers only a couple times per year and have all the stages set up as classifiers.

I understand they have a Bullseye group, but I believe it is of fairly recent origin. Not aware of any IDPA.

Regarding Phx Rod and Gun: They shine for Bullseye shooting and IDPA. However, no trap range although they have a couple of manual throwers, bring an assistant with strong arms.

Phx also has a well attended Icore match on a monthly basis. Most of the round gun shooters (including me) tend to shoot both the Rio and the Phx Rod and Gun match as they do not conflict.

Regarding Ben Avery: One of the States best clay clubs and one of the country's best ranges. I shoot clays at that range. Being a good drive , I am unfamiliar with their Bullseye or Icore program.

I shoot at Rio Salado and as of now they have ICORE the first Sunday of Every month, Bullseye match every Monday night, and they do have trap I am not sure when though. I have shot a Phoenix Rod and Gun club they have an ICORE match every second Saturday of each month and they do also have Bullseye matches. Never been to Ben Avery but I here they have an amazing facilities for shotgun shooters.

• 3 weeks later...

Personally, I'd head towards the northeast Valley, RIO SALADO is my "fits" all choice,( go on the web and check out the activities). Ever shoot a monthly scheduled 22 caliber pistol steel plate match, Sub Machine gun match, Cowboy match, Bulls eye, ICORE, USPSA, various Shotgun disciplines, High power, etc.. The Tuesday Night Steel pistol match is approaching 200 shooters per night. I moved from Wisconsin to Arizona in 1972, been a RIO member for many years. You can shoot every day or night of the week in the Phoenix area if you choose, LOT's of good ranges. Tax wise, somewhere in Maricopa County is going to be the cheapest area to live, Pinal County is higher tax wise, I'd NEVER buy a home in an area that has a "homeowner association", don't plant anything that's not meant to survive the desert heat and needs lot's of water....Good, easy freeway access is a big ++++, then you can drive to any of the ranges as you wish. PM me if you wish, Mike