Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PractiScore website results being upgraded - input welcome

Ken N.

Yeah, I almost completely agree. (Exception below.) We all denigrate Symantec and Norton quite a bit, but they have a nice little app called Norton Snap (iOS and android) that scans the qrcode and displays the url and whether or not they think the site is safe, before going to it. And for something like practiscore where you would be scanning for a specific purpose (get encoded shooter name/#/class/etc), that concern doesn't even apply as you don't want a web address, rather you want the shooter's data in a specific format provided by uspsa or whoever.

Edited by wgnoyes

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...There is one critical security configuration that is highly recommend for Android users. Under Security settings it is a check box called "Unknown Sources: Allows installation of apps from sources other than the Play Store." Unless you are very comfortable with knowing what you are downloading at all times I recommend leaving this box unchecked. The vast majority of malicious code targeting the Android platform comes from "unknown sources" including shady third party App stores and other single file downloads. With this box unchecked, only applications from the Google Play Store can be installed. ...

True, but:

1. for nooks it's really a non-issue as there is no camera for scanning, and most of us install practiscore directly from a downloaded .apk file.

2. for real android devices (and those rare nooks having Google Play enabled), you don't generally want practiscore to auto-update itself until you've heard from the field that the given newest version/release has been successfully used in real matches and is good to go.

True. I was really talking mainstream devices in general rather than thinking about mainstream devices on the range. I doubt most of the range Nooks are even periodically hooked up to the Internet today.

Nooks definitely have limitations. If I understand correctly they also don't have Bluetooth. I think it would be really cool to use timers like the ShotMaxx to automatically import the score into PractiScore without the range officer having to call it out and the score keeper having to manually enter it.

On the Nook front, I would really like to white board some ideas for how to effectively use anyone's phone or tablet on the squad to record and validate scores. The model would include "cloud" storage and synchronization and should allow alternate devices to take over scoring at any time. It would also be nice to establish alternatives for digital "signing" of scores that could be done through pin, biometric, second device registered to the shooter, etc. I see tracking scorekeeper, shooter, and registered devices by some kind of ID known to PractiScore I something that will certainly be a big part of the future working models.

Yeah, but that's not actually available, is it? If so, where? I must have missed it.

You have missed it. All instructions for Android are in my post.

The main issue with bringing it to mainstream is get qrcodes prepared for each competitor. If a random person walks-in to some match, qrcodes won't help you to register him, unless he already have a business card with his own qrcode ready. So, individual clubs or even uspsa would have to take it on and start printing qrcodes on membership cards and it won't cause any more security risk that member's name already printed on those cards.

Yeah, but that's not actually available, is it? If so, where? I must have missed it.

You have missed it. All instructions for Android are in my post.

The main issue with bringing it to mainstream is get qrcodes prepared for each competitor. If a random person walks-in to some match, qrcodes won't help you to register him, unless he already have a business card with his own qrcode ready. So, individual clubs or even uspsa would have to take it on and start printing qrcodes on membership cards and it won't cause any more security risk that member's name already printed on those cards.

Yeah, I missed it, thanks. This is the first time I've tried this with a real android tablet. It also works with Norton Snap. I like it better with the Norton scanner. It doesn't force practiscore to come up in landscape mode like zxing does.

Yes, USPSA would have to take this on to make it happen. And yes, especially in this specialized usage, the security considerations are WAY overblown by some people.

Thanks again.

Edited by wgnoyes

I noticed the Android app had she new permissions. Any details that you can provide on what is in store?

Pretty sure I saw bluetooth and audio recording on the list. Any shot timer functionality coming?

Edited by alma

Yes, and in fact, in the "new & improved" website layout, the change log is no longer present at all. The only way to find was through the Play app, which is not generally used on the NOOKs.

If you're referring to 1.2.13, there's no mention of audio recording or Bluetooth anything anywhere in the change log, but the change log also has a history of being incomplete.

The newer update on Android required manual approval since the app's permissions had changed. The additional OS permissions it required included access to Bluetooth and audio recording functionality. I can post a screen capture of the full rights late on.

Edited by alma

Yes, and in fact, in the "new & improved" website layout, the change log is no longer present at all. The only way to find was through the Play app, which is not generally used on the NOOKs.

Actually it's there. Click on "App Info" at the top of the page and you'll find collapsible change logs on the resulting page.

Actually it's there. Click on "App Info" at the top of the page and you'll find collapsible change logs on the resulting page.

Well, *that's* certainly not intuitive.

If you're referring to 1.2.13, there's no mention of audio recording or Bluetooth anything anywhere in the change log, but the change log also has a history of being incomplete.

The newer update on Android required manual approval since the app's permissions had changed. The additional OS permissions it required included access to Bluetooth and audio recording functionality. I can post a screen capture of the full rights late on.

No, I'm sure you saw it, I'm just saying there's no mention of anything corresponding to those two function requirements in the change log on practiscore.com.

No, I'm sure you saw it, I'm just saying there's no mention of anything corresponding to those two function requirements in the change log on practiscore.com.

I was looking for those in the change log as well. Here are the new permissions:

Given there's an API for the DAA Shotmaxx timer and there's already an iOS Steel Challenge app that works with it I think it only makes sense that at some point in the future PractiScore will work with the Shotmaxx timers. I obviously don't know the implementation details but it would be nice to have times automagically recorded for our steel challenge matches.

We experimented with their API and found it very slow to transfer shot data. If we could just get last "time", I guess it would be fast enough, but it took a long time (30 seconds or more) to get data from it.

That's my memory... which is poor of late. So I'll check with Eugene and Russ and see if that jives with what they recall.

Ken N.

Ken, that was for recording all shots... The last shot transmission is better, but I could not make BT link work reliably using their current API for Android. It could be because I'm dumb, but I run out of time I dedicated for the task and it is on the back burner for now.

Not sure if this is the right thread to post this, but no one has replied to the other thread here - http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=191204 I have also not received a reply after emailing tech support.

It looks like there is a possible bug in the new site, I've checked several recent 3-Gun matches on the site and some of them are not showing the complete scores for each division. For example our latest match had all the scores correct under the combined scores, but nothing under Tac Optics or Heavy Metal Irons. The results looked fine on the iPad before I uploaded them to the site.

A few examples where scores are not displaying correctly -

https://practiscore.com/results/?uuid=2F8835A9-18C5-42DB-BEDE-A0ED0FB9B7C2

https://practiscore.com/results/?uuid=00CB87AF-1F1D-4DCE-9AF9-7B36A3049980

https://practiscore.com/results/?uuid=C1649707-8F12-4DBC-8503-68D77FE38F3E

Is this a site issue, or something that is happening on uploading?

Steve

• 11 months later...

How about a good ole bar code on the back of our membership cards? Easy to print, easy to read, no obscure URL's hidden within, what's not to love?

Barcode would be great way to get the registration process moving