Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 major loads for 165 and 200 grn

cg4880

I currently shoot a lot of USPSA in limited 40 major. My load is 180 grn with titegroup and I'm looking to try out some new loads using 165 and 200 to see what I like the best. Gun is a 40 custom from predator tactical with an sti frame and briley barrel. Anybody have load data I can try out?

I have not shot this myself, but I recently loaded up 1k of rounds with 200g lead over 3.8g N320 for a friend. We chrono'd them at about 169pf from a G35. I cannot remember the barrel, but it was either a KKM, LW, or Storm Lake. He likes the load.

I really like 4.2 WST with 200gr Bayou at 1.190. got it from a friend and now its mine!!!!! Makes major easily and is accurate and very polite

Donnie is a great guy and those bullets are my go to for practice thanks for the tip

I have not shot this myself, but I recently loaded up 1k of rounds with 200g lead over 3.8g N320 for a friend. We chrono'd them at about 169pf from a G35. I cannot remember the barrel, but it was either a KKM, LW, or Storm Lake. He likes the load.

4.0 grains of N320 under a Bear Creek 200 LTC loaded to 1.185" makes about 170 PF for me.

Looks like I need to try out some N320! Do you guys see any difference on temp change? When it's hotter out my PF drops with titegroup and I have gotten really close to 165 in a very uncomfortable way. At a previous Ohio Classic I was 165.3 but was shooting 170 with same load a week before when it was 20 cooler out

Anybody got anything on 165grn?

Edited by cg4880

Is your gun a 6"? My match load for my light 6" is 5.4 grains of N320 under a Zero 165 gr jhp at 1.180 oal in Remington 1X cases. The load makes a very consistent and nice feeling 170 pf. both at home (sea level, ridiculous humidity, usually in the 90s at my range) and at all the majors I've shot the gun in at Vegas, Utah and Arizona. At the various majors chrono was done both in the morning and in the afternoon. In Vegas I chronoed when it was probably close to a 100 degrees and the pf was still right near 170.

Is your gun a 6"? My match load for my light 6" is 5.4 grains of N320 under a Zero 165 gr jhp at 1.180 oal in Remington 1X cases. The load makes a very consistent and nice feeling 170 pf. both at home (sea level, ridiculous humidity, usually in the 90s at my range) and at all the majors I've shot the gun in at Vegas, Utah and Arizona. At the various majors chrono was done both in the morning and in the afternoon. In Vegas I chronoed when it was probably close to a 100 degrees and the pf was still right near 170.

I have a 5" would my PF go up with the same load?

I am definitely going to give this one a try!

Thanks blaster

5.3/.4 gr titegroup with 165plated or jacketed @1.210 should put you close to 170pf. Makes my gun too hot to use for practice but feels great with a 12lb spring

If you wanna shoot 200s try wst at around 4.5 for plated, 4.2ish for moly coated. 1.210 OAL

Edited by Russellhjoy

• 5 months later...

I currently shoot a lot of USPSA in limited 40 major. My load is 180 grn with titegroup and I'm looking to try out some new loads using 165 and 200 to see what I like the best. Gun is a 40 custom from predator tactical with an sti frame and briley barrel. Anybody have load data I can try out?

Hey cg. I love WSF & WST over Titgroup, BUT they do lose vel when hot, the Titegroup seems harsh to me in either the 165 and 180 TMJ ( frontier ) and FMJs. I've been using CFE pistol for 9mm 115 and 124 TMJs seems nice as good as WSF and so far in testing had some 115 9s in the summer sun they got hot, but did not have a digital therm to see exact heat and the vel was the same as cool or normal. If I get to test with a 40 will give you the results, but I thinking that the 5.7 gr area will make 170 PF in a 5in with 180 TMJs and 5.8 area for the 180 FMJ.