Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon and SHOT Show - RT 1500 Trimmer

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So can you or can you not run 5.56 to 300 in one pass with the 1500? Seems to be conflicting information, obviously it's not out yet, but still curious. Just wondering if waiting for the 1500 is worth it, or just buy a 1200 with the GSI tool head and make two passes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just sent them an email on this myself, but have not received the "WHEN" reply yet.

I should have known you guys would be all over it in this forum.

So there isn't a "preset depth" that the trimmer/motor fits onto the trim die?

I was kind of hoping that would be the case so; the trim die could be locked down on the tool head then just install the trimmer, tighten it and - go to town.

What about the use of a "template" case that's trimmed to the preferred length? Could that be used to speed up the fine-tune process?

I just sent them an email on this myself, but have not received the "WHEN" reply yet.

I should have known you guys would be all over it in this forum.

So there isn't a "preset depth" that the trimmer/motor fits onto the trim die?

I was kind of hoping that would be the case so; the trim die could be locked down on the tool head then just install the trimmer, tighten it and - go to town.

What about the use of a "template" case that's trimmed to the preferred length? Could that be used to speed up the fine-tune process?

no, no template, no pre-set depth. You just have to mess with it. There is a post somewhere that details how much a full turn of the trimmer adds or subtracts from the OAL of the case so you can cut one case, measure, and then get it close with that measurement in mind, but you will still move it a 1/16 or 1/8 to fine tune it from there. I have set trimmers so many times I can do it in less than 5 cases now. I will start long and work down, but always run a new/uncut case in after to double check.

I'll look for the thread you mentioned. Handy info to have, like the change to seating depth per one full turn of the die.

AND - Dillon replied to my "release date" question. It looks like they have pushed the release out into September.

(don't shoot the messenger)

• 2 weeks later...

Just went live on be.com today too! July 2nd - excellent work - all the guys involved at Dillon!

Thanks Brian, At least on your site you can properly add the 300 BLK trim die to your cart (unlike Dillon's site). I am curious, will Dillon be offering a standard steel 300 BLK trim die or is carbide the only planned offering?

It sounds expensive but if you are a high volume 300blk it makes sense. I have gone thru 3x Whidden trim dies already in a 4 month period.

@ $58 a pice thats $177

Whidden is an excellent trim die but it is NOT carbide. The new Dillon 300BLK Carbide trim die will last longer and you should be able to use less lube, this will save time and $.

It sounds expensive but if you are a high volume 300blk it makes sense. I have gone thru 3x Whidden trim dies already in a 4 month period.

@ $58 a pice thats $177

How many pieces of brass are you processing on each die? Ive got 40k on one of my Whidden dies with no loss of headspace. Brad's Warehouse is saying if you dont have case spin you can see ~100k pieces of 300BLK, but he has also seen dies destroyed in 2k cases where the cases were spinning. I have basically zero case spin though which kills the dies pretty quick. Ive got 4 extra dies, but so far so good I havent had to go to a new one.

No spin here. ~ 60K and it goes to the recycle bin.

good to know. I guage about every 50 off the press so ill make sure I keep a closer eye on things when I get up into that 60k range. I know Brad told me he had some going to right around 100k rounds single pass trimming before he was losing headspace. I still bought a bunch extra so I had them.