Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Full Length Dust Cover in SS

bagdad45

I had access to a scale today to check the weight of my SS guns with various mags and other mag wells. Put one that has a full length dust cover on it and with the mag it made weight by about .5 oz, which I didn't expect. Went straight to the rule book to see if there is any mention that would keep this from running in SS. I didn't find anything mentioning dust cover except in the mention of approved mod; factory light rail is alright if dust cover is less than 3.25 inches. Did I miss something or does full length dust cover get the boot due to the special exception?

I had access to a scale today to check the weight of my SS guns with various mags and other mag wells. Put one that has a full length dust cover on it and with the mag it made weight by about .5 oz, which I didn't expect. Went straight to the rule book to see if there is any mention that would keep this from running in SS. I didn't find anything mentioning dust cover except in the mention of approved mod; factory light rail is alright if dust cover is less than 3.25 inches. Did I miss something or does full length dust cover get the boot due to the special exception?

Yep, if your longer then 3.25 its a no go. But I got you beat, I just bought a CZ clone even though its identical to a very popular production gun its not allowed because the right name isnt stamped on it. It is what it is, just one more reason why I love my open gun :-)

• 10 months later...

Like Bagdad45 I was hoping to shoot my Les Baer Monolith in the single stack division; it just barely makes weight. I wish the rule on this was a little more clear since the rule starts with talking about light rail attachments and not specifically just the full length dust cover. Can't afford another gun for the foreseeable future.

It wasn't about advantage, it was about perception.

I didn't want to start just another race gun division. I didn't want Joe Shooter to think they couldn't compete with the 1911 they already owned. That they were going to have to buy a high speed, low drag, long dust over master blaster to shoot the 1911 single stack division.

I see every 1911 that comes through my stage at the nationals. Other than cosmetics, they are all basically the same.

From my point of view that is good.

Understood. Just that the weight of the full length dust cover is not a lot more than what is gained with a tungsten rod and plug.

Whatever, the rule is what it is. Now to find the money to buy another gun. Not sure what the heck I am going to do with the Monolith, which I bought after reading a write up in Front Site on L-10 guns. Not sure about other areas, but L-10 seems pretty much dead around here.

It wasn't about advantage, it was about perception.

I didn't want to start just another race gun division. I didn't want Joe Shooter to think they couldn't compete with the 1911 they already owned.

Unless they happen to own a modern 1911 with a fldc or bull barrel, lol. Then they have to go buy a different one.

Yea it seems that L-10 is only popular in states that limit mag capacity. Which I believe is why is was created in the first place.

I don't think L10 is popular anywhere that Limited is also allowed. Here in SoCal Ltd shooters outnumber L10 shooters maybe 20 to 1.

As far as the Monolith, you could cut it back to 3.25...

I think its funny that revo and prod have seen the biggest "arms races" in recent years, with the Tanfo/Stock 2s and 8 shot minor.

Somewhat ironically SS seems to have the most level playing field, in terms of equipment. It also is one of the most affordable divisions.

• 2 years later...

Well, as I am finally getting back to USPSA I once again decided to make sure the full length dust cover on my Les Baer MUST be cut for me to us e it in Single Stack division, and that looks like it is the case? I HATE to have the gun butchered, but otherwise i wont ever shoot it; not to mention the cost and time to get the work done. Just stinks since it makes weight as is, and I love the way the gun looks. From what I can see L-10 is dead, so that isn't a realistic option anymore either. CRAP.

48 minutes ago, TriggerT said:

Well, as I am finally getting back to USPSA I once again decided to make sure the full length dust cover on my Les Baer MUST be cut for me to us e it in Single Stack division, and that looks like it is the case? I HATE to have the gun butchered, but otherwise i wont ever shoot it; not to mention the cost and time to get the work done. Just stinks since it makes weight as is, and I love the way the gun looks. From what I can see L-10 is dead, so that isn't a realistic option anymore either. CRAP.

Sounds like a really good excuse to buy a new gun!

4 hours ago, TriggerT said:

Yeah, for what it is going to cost me to modify my full length dust cover I can buy a production gun. Problem is I hate to see my nice 1911 become a paperweight.

If that's the case, I wouldn't butcher it.  Either sell/trade it for a model that works in SS, or shoot it in L-10 with 8 round mags and compare your scores to the SS scores.

Not every gun has a division. In this case you have a very nice L10 gun, just not a SS gun. Making weight is just one of the rules, not having a full length dust cover is another. Both are clear and unambiguous. 

19 hours ago, JAFO said:

If that's the case, I wouldn't butcher it.  Either sell/trade it for a model that works in SS, or shoot it in L-10 with 8 round mags and compare your scores to the SS scores.

Or - Use 10 round mags.  Mags can be up to 171.25mm for a SS gun in L or L10.

Point is, it doesn't have to become a paperweight.  Take it to the range and have fun with it.  If you're not having fun, you're probably doing something wrong!

yeah i thinned out my various guns that i cannot use without a big penalty in various competitions.  sold my super awesome wilson tactical elite as that wasn't legal in single stack (or idpa cdp) and got a cqb elite with the proceeds.  maybe do the same with your monolith.