Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DOUG KOENIG S&W 1911 1st time shooting impressions

Kimbertarget

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never shot a 1911 with an external extractor.so i figure test one that is a production model that is a middle of the road 1911. Not a philipino S.A.M 1911 nor an STI/SVI etc..

What's a S.A.M. 1911? I've never heard that term before.

Im going to see if my shop will sponsor a different 1911 that ive never ran before. Any suggestions? I was thinking of that SIG max michel Or a similiar semi-custom and run a steel challenge match with it.

Deleted. You are being an ass. :(

Edited by Glocktogo

wow, we went from discussion on quality 1911 firearms to borderline racism.

well speaking of only buying USA made, did you know that COLT is 85% owned by Donald Zilkha. Zilkha's father, Emil Zilkha is an Iraqi, born and raised in Baghdad. He came to the US in the 50's and started up Zilkha and Sons, a Venture Capital Firm. They own 85% of Colt Manufacturing

Doesn't exactly sound like an American, Pro-Gun company to me.

hmm, interesting. Read some here: http://www.newsweek.com/unmaking-gunmaker-158053

"Gun owners revolted, turning up evidence that Zilkha had contributed money to the New York Senate campaign of gun foe Charles Schumer. The resulting grass-roots boycott cost Colt as much as $10 million...

Donald Zilkha is still trying. He's now negotiating to buy yet another foreign competitor. His family wishes he would dump Colt once and for all, but with the industry in crisis he doesn't have that option. "I'd love to," Zilkha says. "But the fact is, who wants to buy a piece of cancer?" He is eating french toast at Manhattan's Four Seasons Hotel, reflecting on what went wrong. He blames the lawsuits for Colt's demise. He expects that sooner or later the American gun industry will be reduced to nothing."

Edited by steviesterno

well speaking of only buying USA made, did you know that COLT is 85% owned by Donald Zilkha. Zilkha's father, Emil Zilkha is an Iraqi, born and raised in Baghdad. He came to the US in the 50's and started up Zilkha and Sons, a Venture Capital Firm. They own 85% of Colt Manufacturing

hmm, interesting.

Your gonna cause a meltdown with that info... so many flags to move...

Over Xmas I read Gun Digests Shooters Guide To The 1911 by Robert K Campbell. Kimbers came up well in the tests and he admits to liking his kimbers and bang for buck both Tauras and RIA did ok given the price of them. Yes it's just another opinion but I was personally surprised by some of the test results. Worthwhile read anyway.

While I am still annoyed... There are a lot of shooters in and from the Philippines on this forum and what you refer to as "USPSA practicals" How in one short month you went from asking questions about glocks and starting every thread with "I won a production division" whatever that means and even talking about buying a NORINCO to using racial slurs to prove what an elitist you are blows my mind. Get a feel for this board, Its not like college gambling boards or really any other board I have seen. You can make a file called what makes me better than everyone else on you pinterest page but please give it a rest here.

Kimbertarget,

I am of American/Filipino decent. I have been holding my tongue, reading your offensive condescending posts. But enough is enough. You have been here a short time, and I believe I speak for many here when I say I hope a moderator sees this and shows you the door. So, on behalf of JoJo, JJ, and Jethro, let me be the first in to say, AMF.

How did I miss this???

I too anxiously await a response from the car guy.

Besides that, I'd be glad to compete against kimber with my "flip 1911". I'll go for pinks if you are that confident that my gun will fail.

PM me.....Its not about the hardware its the software....my choice of firearms is my personal reference because i was asked.

If you think your SAM/ARMSCOR 1911s are so great then lets see some match results? Make a torture test video of your UBER reliable 1911.

You know what they say about opinions?............

Are you going to compare them to your 1 steel challenge match you shot with a glock? You were asked because you started off here with basic questions and bragging abour "winning a production division", knocked out a month of internet study on 1911 forums etc and are suddenly being a huge elitist prick. So in a very short period you went from a guy with glock that bought his wife a kimber and was wanting to buy a NORINCO whos kimber user name was an inside joke of some type to attacking anyone who shot anything other than a COLT wrapped in the American flag and dipped in Toby Kieths blood. Lets see your match results or are we just going to judge from your awesome plate rack vid and slow motion carbine footage?

Doesn't exactly sound like an American, Pro-Gun company to me.

hmm, interesting. Read some here: http://www.newsweek.com/unmaking-gunmaker-158053

"Gun owners revolted, turning up evidence that Zilkha had contributed money to the New York Senate campaign of gun foe Charles Schumer. The resulting grass-roots boycott cost Colt as much as $10 million...

Donald Zilkha is still trying. He's now negotiating to buy yet another foreign competitor. His family wishes he would dump Colt once and for all, but with the industry in crisis he doesn't have that option. "I'd love to," Zilkha says. "But the fact is, who wants to buy a piece of cancer?" He is eating french toast at Manhattan's Four Seasons Hotel, reflecting on what went wrong. He blames the lawsuits for Colt's demise. He expects that sooner or later the American gun industry will be reduced to nothing."

The people in CONNECTICUT who work for COLT and the history of COLT is what matters. if you look at HOLLY,BARRY GRANT, they were made in mexico, as well as other US companies, and I agree, OUTSOURCING is killing out country, but that doesn't negate the fact that COLT is the foundation of 1911s. If the small block chevy was made in Canada tomorrow, im sure plenty of guys would still run older S.b.c.

Iver Johnson is in Florida but is also a S.A.M. but some consider them still AMERICAN since they have been around for a long time.

With your research did you find a SINGLE USA "production" firearms manufacturer that uses all USA machined parts and assembles 100% domestically in the USA?

Do you or anyone here actually endorse corporate OUTSOURCING? you don't mind your money going overseas?

If you ask why ive asked questions about other brands, i do occasionally run into great deals that i may buy and resell.

No matter what is said about COLT is something special to me, and in a country where people have to agree with the majority to fit in, IM not that guy!

Are you going to compare them to your 1 steel challenge match you shot with a glock? You were asked because you started off here with basic questions and bragging abour "winning a production division", knocked out a month of internet study on 1911 forums etc and are suddenly being a huge elitist prick. So in a very short period you went from a guy with glock that bought his wife a kimber and was wanting to buy a NORINCO whos kimber user name was an inside joke of some type to attacking anyone who shot anything other than a COLT wrapped in the American flag and dipped in Toby Kieths blood. Lets see your match results or are we just going to judge from your awesome plate rack vid and slow motion carbine footage?

NEW SYMRNA GA last time i checked was in the USA

I can buy and sell other brands.

How did I miss this???

I too anxiously await a response from the car guy.

Besides that, I'd be glad to compete against kimber with my "flip 1911". I'll go for pinks if you are that confident that my gun will fail.

PM me.....Its not about the hardware its the software....my choice of firearms is my personal reference because i was asked.

If you think your SAM/ARMSCOR 1911s are so great then lets see some match results? Make a torture test video of your UBER reliable 1911.

You know what they say about opinions?............

Oh, you have nothing to worry about. I always finish dead last because my gun is always malfunctioning.

I'll do you one better. You tell me what gun you want me to buy. Let's not get out of control. We can put a limit of $500 on the gun itself. I'll buy it and set it up and we can play.

Whatcha say?

I'd still spend the extra $100 and go with an STI.

the D.K. Was a loaner i got to have for the weekend from my gunsmith friend.

In regards to your comment about spending the extra $100 for an S.T.I. You would choose an S.T.I. SPARTAN?

NO. The new Koenig gun runs a little over $1000 from every post for sale that I saw. Go to Dawson Precision and you will see the STI Trojan is a bit over 1100 these days.

hence my comment about spending the extra $100 for a better gun, I was referring to the Trojan.

Edited by bountyhunter

Kimbertarget,

did you just say on a public forum that you buy guns with the intent of reselling? Pretty sure that's illegal without an FFL. Hope nobody in the ATF, NSA, etc are watching...

Also, I haven't researched every company ever, but I know that SVI builds all it's own stuff, from bar stock, here in TEXAS. Which is america. Although according to you, we go by history. Which technically turns Texas back into Mexico.

I think outsourcing can be beneficial. I drive a Japanese truck, because my American made ford turned out to be mostly assembled in America from foreign parts, and then exploded for no reason. But I love America, don't get me wrong. I volunteer nights and weekends helping wounded American Veterans, and I'm helping expand services to the VA down here.

Just saying.

I think outsourcing can be beneficial. I drive a Japanese truck, because my American made ford turned out to be mostly assembled in America from foreign parts, and then exploded for no reason. But I love America, don't get me wrong.

Me too, have never owned anything but Detroit iron in my 45 years of driving.

And I paid for it many times. My brand new Chevy cavalier ate the battery 6 months in... they replaced it along with half the wiring harness (at least it was under warranty). The relay that runs the radiator fan died six moths after that on the hottest day of the year and almost cooked my engine. Not in warranty. But the winner was the fuel regulator that failed leaking gas all over the engine at about 30k miles. can you say CRISPY CRITTER? No, luckily I smelled the gas and got it fixed.

Meanwhile, my wife's Nissan Murano she bought new never had a repair in the first seven years of it's life....

Edited by bountyhunter

Carmo

OK, this is one of the more entertaining threads I've seen in a while.

Kimbertarget, I got another question for ya......I know you're not a big fan of the Filipino guns, but have you handled anything by Metroarms yet? The so-called "American Classic," for example? I bought the first one I saw when they showed up in the mid-$300s a couple years ago, and I have been thoroughly impressed with the gun. I am fortunate to have a bunch of nice custom 1911s and 2011s, but for the money the fit and finish of my Metroarms pistol is pretty unbelievable!

CARMONEY- your impressed with it why? Site an example of why it impressed you? Have you competed in any practical matches with your METRO? Are you saying that your confident enough to use this METRO as your E.D.C.? You say your are fortunate to "have a bunch of CUSTOM 1911/2011s" i am extremely curious to see pictures of them and why you decided to buy a METRO.

Ive heard about the spring issues they have. The only interesting component i see that the AMIGO must use an E.D.M. Procedure for their HAMMERS since they tried to go for the INFINITY look. The bottom line is what do you do with your pistol? How many rounds down range do you have through it and Do you use their factory magazines?

METRO ARMS is like a HYUNDAI (of 1911s) you look at it in the gun shops case and the machining jumps out at you as something impressive because the hammer isnt traditional. I wouldnt buy one normwould i give a METRO to a family member to protect their lives with,i would leave that job to a quality 1911. Your going to be unhappy with my response because you know im not a fan of OUTSOURCING in general,let alone "philp" 1911s(we use another term in SoCal that has no negative racial connotation ).. Everytime we allow another great AMERICAN ICON become "reversed engineered" we are killing out country. HARLEY DAVIDSON and the new liquid cooled engines from INDIA for example.

A 1911 in my home is made in the U.S.A. And if i custmize it the A2 parts will be from a machine shop domestically. I will pay more because i dont feel bad when i put them in my safe under my AMERICAN FLAG. Im sure there is an ASIAN comoany with all the same C.N.C.,E.D.M. Equipment we have, but ill never own one.

I ALSO find this thread extremely interesting-

I ALSO find this thread extremely interesting-

I find it interesting how much COLT bashing there is when it is the foundation for 1911s. It doesn't matter what shareholders own it now,COLT stands for something to true PATRIOTS of the U.S.A. I can see by who gets their opinions and "feelings" hurt, WHO is WHO.

We wonder why there is a generation of ENTITLEMENT, nobody can get their feelings hurt. EVERYONE has to be correct, I voice my opinion when asked and it turns into a completely different topic. If you are for the "sissification" of AMERICA , to use a radio hosts phrase, that's fine, but demand me to agree with your opinions!

Kimbertarget, I'm going to do my best to answer your questions in a straightforward manner, and then I have a challenge for you.

While my Metroarms 1911 is certainly not equivalent in quality to many of my high-end custom pistols, it is indeed a very nice gun--especially considering that I only paid something like $340 for it on a whim. I was very surprised at how well the major components were fit--there is no perceivable play between frame and slide, the barrel is fit quite well also, and it cycles extremely smoothly. The polish and bluing on my American Classic are easily the equivalent of any production Colt or Springfield I have purchased. (That said, my first 1911 was a Colt, and I currently own several very nice Colts and Springfields.)

After I bought the Metroarms gun, I mildly customized the gun to suit my taste--it now has Dawson sights, an S&W magwell, and a couple other odds and ends. I did a mild trigger job on it, but the guts are all factory stock. I thought the feed ramp was a little abrupt, so even though it worked fine, I gave it a good throating job it for smoother feeding of JHPs and SWCs. The gun fuctions very smoothly--I probably only have a couple thousand rounds through it, but so far it is performing excellently. We won't know any long-term results for awhile, because it's not one of my primary competition guns, but I am plenty confident in the gun. Yes, I have shot a couple matches with it, and it is one of the guns in my regular rotation for concealed carry. I use Wilson magazines almost exclusively in my 9mm, .40, and .45 1911s--I don't believe I have ever used the magazine that came with the Metroarms pistol, and suspect it is still in the box.

So now for the challenge I mentioned: My full name is listed at the bottom of every post. My reputation in the competition shooting world is established. I'm a pretty solid shooter, and I have a lot of match experience gained over the past 27 years of competitive shooting. But I'm not a GM in any division and I'm certainly no professional shooter. My work is very demanding, and I don't have much time for practice these days.

Now, I don't have the slightest idea who you are or where you live. But I will put my Metroarms 1911 up against any single-stack 1911 you might choose. You and whatever single-stack 1911 you choose, against me and my Americal Classic. You pick the match format--USPSA, IDPA, Steel Challenge, whatever. We shoot heads-up for cash.

What do you say, Kimbertarget? Are you willing to step up?