Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lighten your slide

Sparky

• 2 weeks later...

Question for Benny?

Question is about limited guns in 40

What is the balance between weight of gun up front, bull barrel, long wide frames, heavy guide rods.

To me a nose heavy gun is hard to move fast between targets.

Lightening the slide, should make gun cycle faster, and change the feel of recoil impulse, and maybe reduce muzzle rise as there is less mass moving.

However K=MV2

So if K is constant because we have a fixed bullet weight and fixed velocity. Only thing I can see that we have option to change is the time in which the K is delivered. Recoil impulse, or the rise time.

Seems like removing small amounts of mass from slide will drastically increase slide velocity because it is a property of velocity squared. However I don't understand how the recoil spring changes figure into it.

Also how fast is the slide traveling when it reachs the end of slide travel and all the remaining K is delivered to the shooter hand with a short rise time. When slide is traveling K is still delivered to shooter but over a long rise time.

Anybody out there work is jets engines and thrust calculations?

Follow my logic here and point out my mistakes please.

Right after ignition, recoil is bullet acceleration, slide and barrel locked together in recoil, barrel stops, slide still moving, slide stops. So is there three distanct recoil impulse that you can balance but not change the total?????

Ok I'll stop thinking out loud now.

Wait one more.

Since power factor is mass X velocity and K=mv2 seems like fast light bullets would make power factor needed but deliver less K to shooter.

About 11 oz. on a limited is just about right, depending on a few factors.

Mr Modest

What does Your average 6" fat free slide weigh? Is this the 11 oz figure you referred too or is the 11 oz for a 5"? :huh: Does it even make a difference if it is a 5" or 6" as far as the weight of the slide?

My avg. 6" weight's the same as a light 5" or about 37 oz. The 6" slide weights the same as a 5" slide, about 11/12 oz. The recoil impulse is less I think than a 5" because the powder charge is about 10% less. I'm no rocket scientist , just a simple gunsmith. I don't explain them, just know what works them.

Since power factor is mass X velocity and K=mv2 seems like fast light bullets would make power factor needed but deliver less K to shooter.

Other way 'round; for a given power factor, a lighter bullet requires a higher velocity which means more energy. A 115gr bullet at 1435fps has about 56% more K than a 180gr bullet at 917fps (PF of both is 165).

• 1 year later...

I did a search on slide lightening and found this thread.

I'm doing some research on the pros/cons of lightening the slide on my Glock 24, which I have been shooting in Lim.

I really like the gun with its slide at its stock weight. I like the way the pistol cycles, and I am not able to outrun it as yet.

However... I have had the virtues of a lightened slide extolled to me, so, I'm looking into it. I don't have any experience with a full length gun (6") which has been lightened. Ideally I would be able to shoot them side by side, but don't know anyone who has had the slide of their 24 lightened, and don't know who does this kind of work.

I don't like a "snappy" gun, but can certainly see the merits of a lighter pistol in transitions.

Has anybody specifically had a 24 lightened, and what (if any) benefit did you get form it?

Thanks!

Andy C.

A couple of years ago I built one of my customers a G34 with a lightened slide for use in Liited class. I don't remember what slide weight we ended up with but I remember shooting fo about the same weight as a G22/35. I removed most of the weight from the front of the slide.

The customer was looking to eliminate the muzzle heavy feeling of the gun and to increase the slide velocity. He seemed very happy with the result.

I do a lot of slide lightening on 2011 based Limited guns as well. I normally shot for about 10-11 oz's for major 40's and a little lighter for minor 9mm's. I have found you can go a litle lighter on a bull barreled gun then on a bushing barreled gun.

I have found you can go a little lighter on a bull barreled gun then on a bushing barreled gun.

Why is that? I am curious since I am having a 9mm minor STI built right now. I went with a bushing barrel, partly to get a lighter overall feel.

Thanks, Steve

Edited by GTOSHootr

The barrel is a single unit with the slide for the first 3/16" or so of travel - right before it unlocks from the slide and swings down. So, the total mass that must be moved to take the gun out of battery is greater with a bull barreled gun. Therefore, if a certain amount of mass in that assembly is required to keep the gun in battery long enough to let pressures in the barrel drop before it unlocks, you can remove more mass from the slide in a bull barrelled gun (probably roughly equal to the difference between the weights of the bull barrel vs. bushing barrel) and still maintain that critical mass.

Steve,

The extra weight of the barrel makes more difference in the unlocking than the weight of the slide. A good friend of mine is an engineer at Colt. They found the ratio to be 3 to 1......3 ounces of slide equalled 1 ounce of barrel for unlocking.

Seems like the tri-top in and of itself is pretty effective lightening, though... more than, say, cutting flutes on the rounds of the slide, for instance....

Yes, I'm hoping it will be pretty light. I did the same with my open gun slide but remember being disappointed when I weighed it. I can't remeber what it was but we ended up cutting some more and it ended up around 11oz (I think).

So far what I gather from this thread is that with a 9mm bushing barrel, a good Limited gun slide weight is 10-11oz (shooting minor). Sounds good?

Edited by GTOSHootr