Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adjustable or fixed sight replacement for Novak cut 1911?

Givo08

I am in the process of setting up a single stack division gun that has Novak cut rear sights with two dots. I'd like to replace them with an all black rear sight, and I am trying to decide whether or not adjustable Novak cut rear sights (made by dawson) are worth using.

The alternative to that would be to order fixed dawson sights set to a 25 yard zero for my common 170 pf load of 230gr bullet under 4.0gr of clays.

If in the future I experimented with 200gr loads, how much difference in poi would their generally be? Would it be enough to warrant needing adjustable sights?

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

I ended up grabbing a set of fully adjustable rear sights by Kensight for my 1911 with Novak cuts.

I don't like them quite as much as the Bomar style, but they are nice. And I would hate to not have total control over the sight picture.

This last year was so crazy with powder and bullet limitations. My POI changed enough with the different combinations of bullets and powder that I was very glad to have adjustable rear sights on my Limited and S/S guns.

I like adjustable sights. I have a Dawson on a 1911 and it's working out okay. Much prefer Bomar-type but it'll do. A friend put a Springfield rear adjustable on his and seems happy. It has a very slightly longer sight radius and perhaps a better sight picture, not being forward angled for carry. I think he got it at MidwayUSA.

Do the adjustable Novak sights experience the breakage very common with Bomar type sights? I've broken plenty of them and don't want to go through the same thing. Also, the Novak adjustables seen to require a ridiculously tall front sight, is this common?

I've got STI's TAS, or Tactical Adjustable Sight on my Lawman 5.0. It works pretty well, but the rear blade is forward angled, and sits over the sight cut, rather than hanging off the back of the slide, so the sight radius is shorter than the conventional Bo-mar. Also, I did have to go with a .230" front to get it to zero.

It's better than a fixed sight by a mile, but I'd still rather have a quality target sight.

My favorite rear sight for STEEL CHALLENGE shows up well against the white plates and serrations cut down glare. Ive never needed to adjust a rear sight for elevation nor windage for any competiton ive ever entered so i dont see the point if your only doing practical matches. Why not just play with different front sight post height u til you get the desired fixed P.O.I., its not like you shooting a sub M.O.A. Rifle.

I like the lower old school wilson ones as well so you can point shoot w front sight on closer engagments. I have a set laying around that i want to put on something..WILSON COMBAT doesnt list them for sale anymore.

8400411d1b3c48fece65efbd6c94eb98.jpg

These are great sights for only $40

6e182639cf21931a43ddac5b8ded12b1.jpg

Edited by Kimbertarget