Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 dollars?!

GeraldMeharry

Come on man, look around at EVERYTHING you're buying these days. There's rampant inflation in the cost of all consumer goods. Never thought I'd see the day when a gallon of milk cost $4.00 or a dozen eggs $2.00. I do all the shopping in my household and see the prices go up weekly on all kinds of shit. Just like gas, once the prices go up to an all time high, they'll never go back to what they once were. I wonder how much reloading components cost relative to inflation back when Enos and Leatham first got started in the early 80's. I know that I couldn't afford to shoot the numbers those guys did in practice to become champions.

Yeah, 38 bones seems a little high even if that was at a brick and mortar store where all you had to do was pay price + sales tax....but that is the world we live in today.

PV is still my preferred go-to source, but you got to shop around and maybe catch specials on shipping or sales (i.e. midway currently has a free shipping on >$250 orders right now, so if you find primers you want all you would pay is the hazmat)

Gunbot does a good job for price comparisons: http://www.gunbot.net/reloading/

Natchez, Widners, and Grafs for some reason aren't usually on the gunbot page but are worth checking.

Lifeislarge - I didn't start buying reloading components until about '85, but I've thought about what you asked and figured that primers have gone up about 3x, powder 2+x, and bullets 2+x (depending on brands, etc.). You can go through the old Front Sight archive to get an idea of what bullets cost. since every issue had ads for bullets. I have a few old receipts for powder/primer buys and winchester SRP/LPP/SPP were about $10-12/thousand, an 8lb jug of AA#7 ran $60-65, and 3 lb cans of WW231 were about $28. Probably the one component that has increased the most is 25lb bags of lead shot.

$39.99 was the going price at Cabelas in Hamburg, PA for 1,000 CCI 400 small rifle primers just a few weeks ago. You can get them cheaper online, but then there's the hazmat charge. I'll typically order 10,000 at a time and split the order and hazmat with a friend. It would currently cost $31.50 per 1,000 to have 10,000 shipped from Midway with the $27.50 (IIRC) hazmat charge.

Use Tula primers, save money.

Yes, I don't understand why people prefer certain brands of primers. Of course, I don't do any long range precision shooting, and focus more on the IDPA and 2-gun world, so as long as the primer ignites the powder, I don't care where it came from.

I only started reloading about a year ago. I am used to these prices. I do talk to a long time reloader at my LGS and he remembers when primers were $6-7/1k. That's 30-40 years ago. He claims to still have primers from the early 80's that he is still using.

Primers are about $35 plus tax locally. Just order 48 lbs from somebody since that is what the hazmat fee covers. PV told me to rough estimate primers at 5 lbs per 5k. So give or take 45k primers in a box. That is a lot ,yes. But that is the only way to buy primers "cheap". If you get two or three buddies to go in with you then the hazmat and shipping become pretty minor. You almost get primers for face value which is mid $20 per k.

When I started reloading primers cost $.01 apiece. $10 per K so you could get out with a K for just under $11 after tax. And back then I thought 1K was about half a lifetime supply too! Lord help me, I think I have about 20K on hand now and still feel somewhat understocked, but at least I have a couple of years worth to shoot with. I'm buying 5K every once in awhile when I find them until I have enough to last me until I take the dirt nap. Same goes for powder. I have a freind that has his lifetime supply in place and seeing that is why I slowly started accumulating it.

Come on man, look around at EVERYTHING you're buying these days. There's rampant inflation in the cost of all consumer goods. Never thought I'd see the day when a gallon of milk cost $4.00 or a dozen eggs $2.00. I do all the shopping in my household and see the prices go up weekly on all kinds of shit. Just like gas, once the prices go up to an all time high, they'll never go back to what they once were. I wonder how much reloading components cost relative to inflation back when Enos and Leatham first got started in the early 80's. I know that I couldn't afford to shoot the numbers those guys did in practice to become champions.

Where are you finding 4$ a gal milk? Im pushing 5 bucks here.

$2.99 @ Kroger about an hour ago, with the Super Senior 10% discount !!! :roflol:

Take every break you can get brother! I sure do. Milk $2.89 at Kroger here. The word is that milk farmers are heavily subsidized by Uncle Sam. There is a bill out there somewhere to lift that at which time they claim milk could be as much as $7 a gallon.

Thank god my kids are gone and I only need about 1/2 gallon a week or so.! :cheers:

Where are you finding 4$ a gal milk? Im pushing 5 bucks here.
Shoot it was $2.99 here a year ago. Eggs .99 cents. I'm not a math genius but that's at least a 25% increase. I was one of the unfortunates that started reloading after the madness so I have no experience with pricing pre-madness. I was blessed to get 10K Federal SPP's and a bunch of powder with a 550 that I bought.