Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Random Split cases at powder station on 650?

Every once in a while I get a slpit case on my 650 at the powder station. I can't figure out what causes it? Brass isn't visiably longer than any others (I haven't measured but when you sit them side by side on a flat surface you can't see a length difference and once its deformed I'm not sure the measurement is going to be worth anything anyways). Anyone have this problem or know what causes it?

96EC578B-ABE0-490C-B4FA-C4B25080680C_zps

B656F828-3770-41B7-B3A4-840F3CC4E321_zps

6DDDFFE5-940B-45DB-BF86-5172F1D1C333_zps

BDE872AB-1FFC-4CF3-B2A8-A64436F99726_zps

I suspect something is preventing the powder bar from moving, so the funnel is not sliding upwards. Double-check on how the failsafe rod is attached, and that no foreign object is mixed in with the powder in the hopper.

I don't hardly bell at all actually. The bullet won't even sit on my bell, I have to actually hold it on the case until the bullet reaches the die. I've loaded about 10,000 rds on this press and I've only had this happen 3 times. All three have been in the last 2500 rounds. Just trying to figure out what is up.

Oh I see. It occasionally bells that much and splits the case! I thought you were just belling way too much.

Agreed that for some reason the powder bar hangs up somehow on something and won't let the funnel retract.

I suspect something is preventing the powder bar from moving, so the funnel is not sliding upwards. Double-check on how the failsafe rod is attached, and that no foreign object is mixed in with the powder in the hopper.

Thanks, I will check this out. I don't think their is anything foreign in the powder, but I've got a uniquetec precision powder adjuster I'm getting ready to install so I will verify during that process. Does everything else look right to yall?

CEDEA905-7F3C-4255-AC41-ADD56DCE1478_zps

Oh I see. It occasionally bells that much and splits the case! I thought you were just belling way too much.

Agreed that for some reason the powder bar hangs up somehow on something and won't let the funnel retract.

Correct,

I'll have to check it out and see what might be hanging it up?

Everything in your picture looks good, but I would inspect the powder. I would take a look at the actual powder itself. Don't know what your using, but a few years ago I had some Pull down powder that I had and in one of the 8 lb jugs, there were slivers of metal in that jug mixed in the powder. It would jam the powder bar similar what is happening to you. It also scored it and I had to replace it.