Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why can't I "quote" anyone using the quote button?

Red Ryder

I find that I can't simply copy-and-paste some line or two from someone's post to a new post (where I might or might not manually quote it). I just can't copy/paste anything from one place to another. WEIRD. (and has never happened before.) :ph34r:

Why can't I use the "quote" button to quote anyone. Multi quote doesn't work either. The dialogue box opens but is empty.

Same problem for me. Tried on three different computers with the same problem occuring.

Works OK for me. Strange ...

What "button in top left corner"? I can't find one, and can't "Quote" ... :angry2:

For me using Google Chrome the quote button and MutiQuote button are located on the lower right corner of every post in a thread.

When you hit reply a tool bar comes up.at the top of the page. It starts just to the right of your avatar. The first symbol looks almost like a computer floppy disc.

What "button in top left corner"? I can't find one, and can't "Quote" ... :angry2:

For me using Google Chrome the quote button and MutiQuote button are located on the lower right corner of every post in a thread.

When you hit reply a tool bar comes up.at the top of the page. It starts just to the right of your avatar. The first symbol looks almost like a computer floppy disc.

Do different browsers display different things? I use chrome and I get a big old reply box at the bottom of every thread. I rarely go to the top and use the reply button to open a new window. The only time I do that is when I want to add a picture. Seems I can copy and paste pictures in much easier using the button up top.

Thanks, I just tried it, and it obviously worked perfectly. The very first box

at the top left (just to the right of my avatar) = works like a charm. Thanks,

but now I can't get the smiley face to appear:(( Oh, well.... Computers are

NOT easy for Super Seniors:((

Do different browsers display different things? I use chrome and I get a big old reply box at the bottom of every thread. I rarely go to the top and use the reply button to open a new window. The only time I do that is when I want to add a picture. Seems I can copy and paste pictures in much easier using the button up top.

You only have to left click with the courser in the big box and it will bring up the toolbar. This problem must have something to do with the computer settings you have. My computer at home doesn't have this problem. At a guess I would say it has to do with the cookie settings. I'll have to ask my wife. :goof:

It's been happening to me for awhile. Hit that square in the upper left corner. Then hit the quote and rehit the square. It works for copy/paste as well.

Now it works! Thanks!!!

Hmmm... that DOES work. I wonder what that little symbol is really supposed to do that is in the corner next to the avatar? I have been having the same problem for some months now. I wish it would just work normally though. Oh... I forgot to re-hit the little square thingie, but it still posted ok.

Edited by Justsomeguy

The way I did it this last time was just hit the quote button which opened up the reply box anyway THEN hit the little square thingie next to the avatar, and then just clicked "post". I think the square next to the avatar when the reply box is up has something to do with formatting since words may not be broken at the end of a line, but they post just fine in the forum.

And thanks to those who knew the answer... but I still think something is broken and needs to be fixed.

Edited by Justsomeguy

And thanks to those who knew the answer... but I still think something is broken and needs to be fixed.

The only way for us to figure that out though would be for you to post the computer, tablet, or phone, its operating system and version and browser and version you are using.....

Without that info, everyone here would just be shooting while blindfolded.....

On a PC, running Windows 7, and Waterfox version 18, everything seems to work the way it should.....

If you're using a Windows PC run the program "snipping tool" that will allow you to make a screen capture. Perhaps posting a screen capture of what your screen looks like will give us some clue what's going on. I've never had a problem using the quote function and I use either a Windows 7 PC with Google Chrome or MacBook Pro with Safari.

If you're using a Windows PC run the program "snipping tool" that will allow you to make a screen capture. Perhaps posting a screen capture of what your screen looks like will give us some clue what's going on. I've never had a problem using the quote function and I use either a Windows 7 PC with Google Chrome or MacBook Pro with Safari.

this is very strange. As I posted earlier I was having problems with the quote button also. At that time I tried everything from restarting my computer to running diagnostics and a PC performance scan and clean. Nothing helped. As you can see I tried the qupte button this morning just for fun and now it works.

• 3 weeks later...

Nope, the quote button in the bottom right of the reply box is not working for me either....But, If I open the quote button in a new window (right mouse click, scroll down, open in new window), it will quote the post...otherwise just clicking it opens the reply box, with no quote...

Edited by GrumpyOne

Nope, the quote button in the bottom right of the reply box is not working for me either....But, If I open the quote button in a new window (right mouse click, scroll down, open in new window), it will quote the post...otherwise just clicking it opens the reply box, with no quote...

I had to open a new window to get this to quote....just hitting the quote button gives me the reply box, not the quote box...

I hit the quote button to reply to you but it didn't work. I can't copy and paste either. But I did not want to complain about more that one problem at a time.

I tried it and it showed up in the box lets see if it goes to the post