Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What makes a 2011 the "go to" 3 gun pistol ?

I look at it this way. If you align your sights perfectly every time while pulling the trigger perfectly every time you will hit every target every time no matter the gun. If you have a more accurate gun and a lighter shorter trigger you will hit more targets when you don't align the sights perfectly and/or don't pull the trigger perfectly.

A Glock won't make you miss more than a 2011 if you do your part. But a 2011 might help you miss less than with a Glock if you don't do you're part.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well:

I love my Glock but also like the 2011. I can run my Glock just as fast as the guys running their STIs at the local matches. That being said, if I did have some extra money I wouldn't mind having a STI. But if I can run a Glock just as fast (now this is just my situation) I cannot justify spending $2500 on a handgun.

The OP can vouch on the statement of running the Glock as fast as the STIs.

Adam

I can miss much faster with my Glock than my 2011 so it's got that going for it!

Nick

I look at it this way. If you align your sights perfectly every time while pulling the trigger perfectly every time you will hit every target every time no matter the gun. If you have a more accurate gun and a lighter shorter trigger you will hit more targets when you don't align the sights perfectly and/or don't pull the trigger perfectly.

A Glock won't make you miss and a 2011 might help you miss less.

Good advice.

Just food for thought... at last week's SHOT show shoot-off, Jesse here posted a video of Bryan Ray having a killer pistol run against Ravin Perry, had multiple poppers falling at the same time like dominoes, it was a beautiful thing. He's only running a Glock 34 with nothing but a stipple job, sights, and a drop-in trigger, yet bumping heads with guys like Burkett with his Predator Tactical rig that can be configured to be over $5,000. It's hard to be convinced that a 2011 is necessary when you see that happen.

I was honestly about to buy one but, and although I still suck, I improved quite a bit pretty quickly with my G35. Finally decided that once I wring all I can out of it I'll upgrade, but until then, it's obvious that my Glock can shoot better than I can, so what's the point.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Just food for thought... at last week's SHOT show shoot-off, Jesse here posted a video of Bryan Ray having a killer pistol run against Ravin Perry, had multiple poppers falling at the same time like dominoes, it was a beautiful thing. He's only running a Glock 34 with nothing but a stipple job, sights, and a drop-in trigger, yet bumping heads with guys like Burkett with his Predator Tactical rig that can be configured to be over $5,000. It's hard to be convinced that a 2011 is necessary when you see that happen.

I was honestly about to buy one but, and although I still suck, I improved quite a bit pretty quickly with my G35. Finally decided that once I wring all I can out of it I'll upgrade, but until then, it's obvious that my Glock can shoot better than I can, so what's the point.

Rob Vogel can keep up with all the big boys running 2011's with his Glock. No one else seems to be able to. I'd say it was assuredly the Indian in this situation. If you can shoot a Glock better or as well as a 2011....

• 2 weeks later...

I own both. Got the Glock 34 because I'd always hated them and figured I needed to get over that. The same friend here at Brownells who built my 2011, spent about 5 minutes polishing the Glock's trigger surfaces and stoned one edge on the connector and it's darn nice, for a Glock. I think I actually like the harder reset of the Glock, easier to feel under pressure. That said, I can miss with both. All comes down to trigger squeeze, sight alignment and grip. DUH! Only thing, as Jesse said, I might miss by less with the STI since you don't have to slap the trigger as hard to get it to go bang. But, I emptied 3 mags on those stupid little plates at Rockcastle, with the STI, and timed out when I got to the tree. I didn't think you could slap the Glock trigger, I figured out how and got a couple of no shoots at SE3G. Not screwing up any of the 3 basics will do more than any gun - that Jesse's a pretty smart feller. I've had fun stippling the Glock and learning a new system. Shoot what you have, what you can afford and practice a lot, with a timer running.

I own both.

I'm about to own both. Decided to settle with my Glock 35 and pimp it out, but happened to run across an almost new 9mm 2011 at a price that would really tick off most people here. Couldn't pass it up. That being said though... I'm expecting that the Glock with the 3.5# Edge trigger with the pre and over travel taken out is probably going to be nicer than the stock STI that's what, 4.5# and probably a tad bit mushy if it's like other stock 1911's. We shall see. Won't be getting a 2011 trigger job any time soon.

A Glock won't make you miss more than a 2011 if you do your part. But a 2011 might help you miss less than with a Glock if you don't do you're part.

This is probably dead on, and if so, then it seems to me that it's all about SPEED. Nobody ever says that though. It's always, well it has a better trigger, well it's more accurate, well it's heavier so it recoils less. Well, yeah, sure. But does that really always matter in all situations? Seriously.

If so... how did a newbie such as myself take a borrowed Glock 35 and consistently get higher scores than everybody else at his first USPSA meet last weekend? If you add all them up from every stage, I got a better score (not hit factor) than a master class shooter, an A class shooter, and a really good open division shooter, all rocking VERY expensive custom 2011’s. Only reason that happened is because what you said is true, I slowed down and aligned the sights well and pulled the trigger well.

That doesn’t matter much when you’re slow though, and I was very slow comparatively, therefore placed near the bottom. I’m still pleased though, and based on this experience, I have a hard time believing that the inherent accuracy and trigger of a 2011 is uber-important in itself in terms of accuracy. If it was, those guys would have scored higher than a total newbie with a stock Glock shooting crappy Wal-Mart ammo. They didn’t. Combine the accuracy situation with speed though, probably a different story.

Meaning, does a 2011 help you significantly when in sloppy dragster mode? Good chance it does. Does it help you go faster in the first place? Good chance it does. Is the accuracy alone going to help a ton? I dunno, I doubt it though.

What a 2011 does is allow you to be accurate faster. The gun is more accurate and the nice clean breaking trigger allows you to take the the shot with less disruption caused by fighting a heavier and longer trigger pull. Those master class shooters you talked about beating can put the accuracy out there when the stage calls for it. You need to shoot as fast as the targets call for. Slowing down so you get all A's is counter productive as you know and so is going so fast you getting D's and misses. You need to shoot as fast as you can maintain a good ratio of A's to C's.
Pat

This is probably dead on, and if so, then it seems to me that it's all about SPEED. Nobody ever says that though. It's always, well it has a better trigger, well it's more accurate, well it's heavier so it recoils less. Well, yeah, sure. But does that really always matter in all situations? Seriously.

If so... how did a newbie such as myself take a borrowed Glock 35 and consistently get higher scores than everybody else at his first USPSA meet last weekend? If you add all them up from every stage, I got a better score (not hit factor) than a master class shooter, an A class shooter, and a really good open division shooter, all rocking VERY expensive custom 2011s. Only reason that happened is because what you said is true, I slowed down and aligned the sights well and pulled the trigger well.

That doesnt matter much when youre slow though, and I was very slow comparatively, therefore placed near the bottom. Im still pleased though, and based on this experience, I have a hard time believing that the inherent accuracy and trigger of a 2011 is uber-important in itself in terms of accuracy. If it was, those guys would have scored higher than a total newbie with a stock Glock shooting crappy Wal-Mart ammo. They didnt. Combine the accuracy situation with speed though, probably a different story.

Meaning, does a 2011 help you significantly when in sloppy dragster mode? Good chance it does. Does it help you go faster in the first place? Good chance it does. Is the accuracy alone going to help a ton? I dunno, I doubt it though.

impressive! Got a link to the scores for the match?

Chances are that any gun off of the gun counter would be capable of shooting full match points if time were not a factor. The challenge of the sport is balancing accuracy and speed to achieve an optimum score. Being able to shoot points is important but in my opinion pushing for speed and accuracy is what separates this sport from the casual shooters plinking away at the range.

Chances are that any gun off of the gun counter would be capable of shooting full match points if time were not a factor. The challenge of the sport is balancing accuracy and speed to achieve an optimum score. Being able to shoot points is important but in my opinion pushing for speed and accuracy is what separates this sport from the casual shooters plinking away at the range.

I don't disagree with that. Hell even if you're shooting 3 foot groups at 10 yards, if you can see where you're hitting, just keep shooting until you have two A's. :)

I bit and ordered a 2011. The trigger was PART of the equation, but the recoil "feel" was just as big a part for me. After shooting a 2011, it felt like the gun with factory ammo didn't hardly flinch compared to my Zev 17L with my minor PF handloads.

I plan to keep both, but see the 2011 as a way I can be a little more accurate and a little faster.

impressive! Got a link to the scores for the match?

https://www.practiscore.com/match-results/uuid?uuid=333AEF81-D045-4965-8133-1AB5F89772A6

Like I said, I'm a total newbie and very SLOW, which does me absolutely no good to get a bunch of points just to have a bad time. I only mentioned this because I have a hard time believing that the increased "accuracy" of a 2011 in itself would have helped me one bit, pretty much what Jesse said seems to be true.

Could it have helped me go FASTER, IF I knew what I was doing, in which I do not? :) Maybe. I just don't get what the increased accuracy alone is going to gain anybody if a total noob with a G35 can be at the top in terms of hit points due to actually lining the sights up. Itty bitty steel way out there may be a totally different story though, these were USPSA targets all within 25 yards, most at a max of probably more like 20.

The other guys there were friggin amazing BTW, just insanely fast, I'm nowhere near on their level and am not trying to sound like I am. Also interesting that 2 of the top 5 were running Glocks, one of which was a G19 with night sights in a concealed carry IWB holster. :) Accuracy smackurracy.

If so... how did a newbie such as myself take a borrowed Glock 35 and consistently get higher scores than everybody else at his first USPSA meet last weekend? If you add all them up from every stage, I got a better score (not hit factor) than a master class shooter, an A class shooter, and a really good open division shooter, all rocking VERY expensive custom 2011s. Only reason that happened is because what you said is true, I slowed down and aligned the sights well and pulled the trigger well.

That doesnt matter much when youre slow though, and I was very slow comparatively, therefore placed near the bottom. Im still pleased though, and based on this experience, I have a hard time believing that the inherent accuracy and trigger of a 2011 is uber-important in itself in terms of accuracy. If it was, those guys would have scored higher than a total newbie with a stock Glock shooting crappy Wal-Mart ammo. They didnt. Combine the accuracy situation with speed though, probably a different story.

I looked at the first two stages from your match. You were shooting all the points but doing so in twice the time they are taking. You need to learn how USPSA scoring works. The guys at the top of your scoreboard aren't aiming as hard as you are. They are blending the speed and accuracy to get the highest hit factor which is what wins USPSA matches. Edited by Jesse Tischauser

Ya uspsa is a combination of speed and accuracy in order to get the highest HF you can. The ones who did better gave up some points and got a lot more speed in return. If you go too fast and throw mikes and many deltas your hurting yourself as well as if you take too long to shoot all alphas. It's hard to make any assumptions based on points alone as you shot for points they shot for hit factor. I'm sure if they shot the same times the accuracy would have been higher

The added accuracy is nice when the targets are tighter or farther or small pieces of steel like the 4 inch pieces we are in 3 gun

Edited by EkuJustice

I think the 2011 has a lot going for it in the 3 gun game. Besides the trigger, capacity, weight, there's also the ease in which it shoots. For me, a glock grip angle is weird, and I have to really try to get the front sight towards where I'm aiming. A 2011 seems to just point naturally for me. Granted, I have a pile of rounds though my 1911s, so I'm used to it. But 3 gun is often more about speed than accuracy. 2 Ds is still good enough to move on, so if I can snap the gun up and just drop rounds without thinking and still make hits, then that's what I'll use!

I shot M&P's for the past three years. Yesterday I took my brand new 2011 5'' Eagle to the range. I shot the best groups ever with a pistol. One of my problems is ''trigger jerk'' I always drop the front of the gun when pulling the trigger. After yesterday that all changed with the 2011.

I truly believe the 2011 will help me alot.

One piece of advise I always give new shooters is to look at what the big league match winners are using. Most of them can use any gun they want, but they shoot 2011's, so there must be a reason for it. Once you start shooting a well made 2011 with a good trigger, you will have a hard time going back to a striker fired pistol.