Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What makes a 2011 the "go to" 3 gun pistol ?

I think it is just that is what most have or are familiar with. I run a Tac Sport in Limited. For 3 gun I just bring my mouse fart rounds. Three gun brings enough.......cough...... opportunity to empty you wallet as it is without buying a dedicated pistol.

But. But . But you gotta have a gun for each division right??? :goof:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im pretty much still a baby in 3gun but Ive noticed a ton of competitors prefer 2011 style pistols over others, say the Glock 34. Mind you all Ive ever shot is a G34 so I have no experience w others (with the exception of my dads Tangfoglio Witness Match Elite"), but it seems to me it would be a PIA to worry about the safety all the time. Is there something Im missing ?? Help educate me please !

I went round and round with this as well. I am familiar with the differences, and on some level, it seems to be a toss up, assuming you can run a Glock well. The glocks can be drawn and thrown in a bucket without worrying about the safety, will be very reliable, they're affordable, and have a ton of aftermarket support.

The 2011's can't be beat in the accuracy department though, due to the trigger. You will never find a Glock trigger that feels like that. With 3-gun having longer distance small targets, this can be a significant advantage.

Yeah there's alot of bleed-over from USPSA but the reality is that the real good 3-gun guys shooting 2011's are usually shooting 9mm's, meaning they bought it specifically for 3-gun, as 9's in USPSA don't get you major scoring.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I think it is just that is what most have or are familiar with. I run a Tac Sport in Limited. For 3 gun I just bring my mouse fart rounds. Three gun brings enough.......cough...... opportunity to empty you wallet as it is without buying a dedicated pistol.

But. But . But you gotta have a gun for each division right??? :goof:

Or in some people's case several. :roflol:

The fine trigger and inherent accuracy of the 1911 scares me. That is why I shoot a Glock.

Glock, Glock, Glock!!! Glockety Glock Glock!!! Glock Glock Glock. Glockorama!!! I like Glockomolie!!!

I really shouldn't leave myself logged into Enos at work. They call me Glockster Salad!!!

The fine trigger and inherent accuracy of the 1911 scares me. That is why I shoot a Glock.

Glock, Glock, Glock!!! Glockety Glock Glock!!! Glock Glock Glock. Glockorama!!! I like Glockomolie!!!

I really shouldn't leave myself logged into Enos at work. They call me Glockster Salad!!!

They serve glockomolie in tactical Tupperware. ;)

The reason I switched from a Glock to a 2011 was a lighter shorter trigger is more foregoing and faster. The extra weight means less recoil. Mags usually hold 1-2 extra rounds. They are inherently more accurate than any of the polymer guns.

Dont you shoot a CZ as well? How do you like them for 3 gun? and abandoning them with safety or mag dump for that type of gun?

The reason I switched from a Glock to a 2011 was a lighter shorter trigger is more foregoing and faster. The extra weight means less recoil. Mags usually hold 1-2 extra rounds. They are inherently more accurate than any of the polymer guns.

Dont you shoot a CZ as well? How do you like them for 3 gun? and abandoning them with safety or mag dump for that type of gun?

I bought a CZ SP01 Shadow late last year from Matt Mink at Automatic Accuracy because I planned to shoot Production Nationals at nearby USSA in Tulsa. I bought a couple extended base pads and ran it in a state match in Arkansas to get some trigger time before Production Nats. Then it conveniently fit into the LEO/MIL division for the newly formed USCA 2 Gun Nationals. I've probably shot less than 1500 rounds thru mine but I managed to win both matches with it.

For 3 gun starting cocked and locked with the trigger in SA, the trigger is actually shorter and lighter than my 2011's. The accuracy seems just as good for the kinda groups I shoot. (I don't shoot groups often enough.). The gun has run like a champ. It's a pretty solid 3 gun machine. If I was CZ or Auto Accuracy I'd be pushing it as such. The tuned gun I have runs about $1500-1800. So it's a few & cheaper than a bone stock 2011. Mags are way cheaper.

Negatives are...

Parts aren't even close to being as readily

available.

Short slide isn't as easy to grip/rack as a 2011.

As far as dumping guns with safeties it pretty much isn't something I think about. Put safety on and don't ditch it in a manner that would deactivate the safety. Pretty commonsensical! Or dump mag and rack. I do both depending on the dump container. You can always run a sinkage side safety and just dump with the safety lever facing up to. Running a polymer gun cause it's easier to ditch is ridiculous IMHO. Nobody ever won a match cause they dump guns faster than everyone else. You just got ditch em smart and deliberate rather than throw them.

Hope that helps if not send me a PM.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

I switched from a Glock 34 to a CZ 75 SP01 Shadow for production and I picked up a CZ TS 9mm for 3 gun over the holidays. From the factory the trigger was under 2lb. I have been doing a lot of work on it that included shortening the frame and this week I am doing some grip reduction work but I could have easily just run it out of the box. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/uploads/monthly_01_2014/post-5345-0-56272900-1389581231.jpg

but it seems to me it would be a PIA to worry about the safety all the time. Is there something Im missing ?? Help educate me please !

Meh, it's just a few new indexing points to learn. I came to a 2011 as I found a different STI many years ago, and love the way they build pistols and the WAY those pistols shoot- I figured the 2011 would be very similar in quality. Think back to why you started running the G34?

Running a polymer gun cause it's easier to ditch is ridiculous IMHO. Nobody ever won a match cause they dump guns faster than everyone else. You just got ditch em smart and deliberate rather than throw them.

I think the fear of a DQ is what is driving this mentality, not just when dumping, but also when holstering, then you have to take it off safety when drawing. I'm sure training would take care of it for the most part.

Just curious though, in terms of dumping it, realistically speaking have you ever seen anybody get a DQ then proclaim "but I put the safety on!!!"?

Damnit!

I do like Glockomolie though.

Running a polymer gun cause it's easier to ditch is ridiculous IMHO. Nobody ever won a match cause they dump guns faster than everyone else. You just got ditch em smart and deliberate rather than throw them.

I think the fear of a DQ is what is driving this mentality, not just when dumping, but also when holstering, then you have to take it off safety when drawing. I'm sure training would take care of it for the most part.Just curious though, in terms of dumping it, realistically speaking have you ever seen anybody get a DQ then proclaim "but I put the safety on!!!"?
Yes everybody that gets DQ'd because their 2011 safety was off put it on initially but when they set/put/threw it in the dump container they did so in a manner that turned the safety off. The gun rests on the safety on the left side when you set it on its left side. If you set it down flat or on the right side the safety doesn't magically deactivate. What happens is guys slide/toss the gun across the dump table/bucket when they're in a hurry rather than just set it down and that movement deactivates the safety.

Believe me I sold myself on the "Glocks are faster/easier to dump" when I was shooting Glocks. But when I started shooting the 2011 and was missing targets a lot less I realized I now had plenty of time to set my gun down deliberately rather than toss it like a softball.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

I'd love to know this as well. I mean, aside from the obviousness of better recoil from a heavier frame and the associated improvements in craftsmanship of a $2k gun vs. a $500 gun.

Trigger Crisp SA with short reset as light as you want to go. No trigger comes close to a good 1911/2011 trigger out there.

Accuracy (2011 shoot tight groups. less than 2 inches is the norm at 25 yards while with a Glock its more like 3 to 4 inches)

Recoil (heavier gun lighter slide less recoil)

Pat

I think the fear of a DQ is what is driving this mentality, not just when dumping, but also when holstering, then you have to take it off safety when drawing. I'm sure training would take care of it for the most part.Just curious though, in terms of dumping it, realistically speaking have you ever seen anybody get a DQ then proclaim "but I put the safety on!!!"?
Yes everybody that gets DQ'd because their 2011 safety was off put it on initially but when they set/put/threw it in the dump container they did so in a manner that turned the safety off. The gun rests on the safety on the left side when you set it on its left side. If you set it down flat or on the right side the safety doesn't magically deactivate. What happens is guys slide/toss the gun across the dump table/bucket when they're in a hurry rather than just set it down and that movement deactivates the safety.

Believe me I sold myself on the "Glocks are faster/easier to dump" when I was shooting Glocks. But when I started shooting the 2011 and was missing targets a lot less I realized I now had plenty of time to set my gun down deliberately rather than toss it like a softball.

Exactly. I have never worried about DQ because of the safety. Train/practice to where it becomes second nature and you will be fine and take the 1/4 second to set vs throw the gun down.

Pat

Well:

I love my Glock but also like the 2011. I can run my Glock just as fast as the guys running their STIs at the local matches. That being said, if I did have some extra money I wouldn't mind having a STI. But if I can run a Glock just as fast (now this is just my situation) I cannot justify spending $2500 on a handgun.

The OP can vouch on the statement of running the Glock as fast as the STIs.

Adam