Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 acp

para5

spd522,

I have been using WST for about a year now. The load I have is great, but it's dirty. I am currently using 4.6 grains, a 230 grain RN bullet, Federal primers, OAL 1.246" and standard crimp.

The load was given to me by a friend that I shoot with. I like it because it's accurate and soft, but it has been really dirty. I know a lot of people use WST that haven't had a problem with it.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, Chris

CSEMARTIN,

It may not be anything you are doing , but the barrel you are shooting it through.

If you have a " slow " barrel the pressure and powder burn will be less than a " tight " barrel.

I found that my " slow " barrel needed alot more powder to get the pressure and velocity up to a point where some powders ( most notably Tightgroup ) would begin to burn the way they should.

Do you have any chrono data ?

I am currently using Vectan/Noblesport BA-10 under 200 gr. Ranier plated bullets with Win. primers.

4.3 gr. barely makes major in my " slow " barrel, start with less if you try this powder.

Travis F.

First, I love this forum, I am allready learning. OK doesn't anybody use Bullseye anymore? I used to use 5.7 of 231 with a 200 gr SWC, when I swiched to 4.9 of Bullseye I noticed a way softer shooting pistol,and a tremendous increase in accuracy. Maybe living in stoneage, let me know. Yes it still makes major.

Welcome! I used to use W231 also, but the things that I read here helped me change to better powders. If you have the cash, the VV powders seem to be great. I use Titegroup because it is cleaner and less temperature sensitive than W231, you use less per load, and it's dirt cheap.

Snpr50,

I still have a sweet spot for Bullseye in 45acp !

Other than being a little dirty, it works extremely well.

Accuracy and consistancy is excellent.

Very user friendly to load and not the least bit picky about anything.

I tried BA-10 just to check it out because it was really cheap, now I'm hooked .

This has been the only powder that has given Bullseye a serious run for the money, I have tried many . BA-10 is a little more finicky about how you load it than Bullseye, not nearly as forgiving pressure wise.

I tested my standard lod for my " slow " barrel in my new Briley barrel last night, I really need to chrono for this new barrel , pressure was definately much higher, not to the " Oh SH!* !! " level , but higher. Still worked very well, wish I could say the same for my newly built pistol...

Travis F.

What do you guys think of Bullseye?

Bullseye is great, good feel. also WST- very clean and soft feel. Experimeting with Power Pistol very much like Bullseye

200 grain bullets seem to always rise to the top for me mostly lead versions also tried different jacketed hollow points and SWC they all seem to be great! What is it with 200 gr bullets? why do the work so good in the 45, isn't that what the 45 was originally designed for anyways?

Monster,

BA-10 is a tubular shaped powder, flows like silk through a Dillon measure.

At 4.3 GR. I usually see exactly the same charge weight I dialed in better than half the time I weigh a single charge, when I do see .1 variance it is only in one direction ( Exactly what I dialed in minus .1 ) Seldom have I seen any more than .1 spread .

Original Mil specs. circa 1911 for the 45ACP called for a 230 GR. bullet.

Travis F.

I have been using 230 grn fmj and VV N340 6.3 grn 1.26 COL not sure on the FPS as my MKIV is on back order.It shoots well out of both my 1911s and hits same point of aim as 230Hydra Shocks.

I believe JMB originally designed the 1911 to shoot a 200 grn bullet but the military dictated a heavier bullet which made way for the 230grn ball round :D

• 2 weeks later...

brownings original spec for the 45 was a 200 grain bullet @ 900 fps

the united states army wanted a hevier bullet, thus the 230 grainer came around.

4.0 grains of clays and 230 grain plated bullet is NICE

3.8 grains of clays and 230 grain moly coated bullet is also pretty good.

4.5 grains of bullseye and 230 FMJ make a nice load as well, not as clean as clays though.

super target IS ok in the 45, but clays is better.

still need to try some VV powders.

• 9 months later...

I just started using a Hornady 200gn FMJ-CT over 5.0 og VV N320. Man is that an awesome combo!! It's expensive however, so I've been experimenting with Berry's 200gn Round Shoulder plated bullet. I've been having a problem with nailing down the OAL. Anyone have suggestions?

• 13 years later...