Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rockcastle Local 3-Gun, Feb 23rd

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was the first time I experienced rifle fire in a multi-bay situation. I still can't hear worth a crap, even a week later! Guess I'll be doubling up on hearing protection even when I think I don't need it next time. The classifier stage was especially harsh, apparently standing behind and a bit to the side of a guy with a compensator is the worst place to be. You live and learn I guess, will know better next time.

I told Ray and Vaught this personally but the best part about this series is that the newbies such as myself are encouraged and given a chance. It's obvious that it takes upstanding guys with good character to put up with it all. It's really appreciated. Just really some top notch guys that are putting this thing on.

If your just using passive muffs, it's probably not enough. Foamie plugs are ok, but at least an NRR 32 rating. However, foamies must be properly inserted. That's the inexpensive route. HearPro can hook you up. I have another brand of molded plugs I won't shoot with, that were custom made at work. They are too hard and the foamies at work perform much better. The reusable universal plugs you can buy are dependent on the size of your ear canal. The work for some, but not others. Do what you have to and take care of your ears!

Are those from your cell?

The ones of Joyce (pink), Pike (flag), and the barrels with no shooter was. My cell does a better job. These were mostly from a Canon Rebel so I could time it just right and use the zoom. Notice the multiple cases in the air on Brian's rifle pic and some shotgun hulls being ejected. I can't do that on my phone. I'm not trained in the art of photo processing though so the colors are wishy washy with the Canon.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

If your just using passive muffs, it's probably not enough. Foamie plugs are ok, but at least an NRR 32 rating. However, foamies must be properly inserted. That's the inexpensive route. HearPro can hook you up. I have another brand of molded plugs I won't shoot with, that were custom made at work. They are too hard and the foamies at work perform much better. The reusable universal plugs you can buy are dependent on the size of your ear canal. The work for some, but not others. Do what you have to and take care of your ears!

I usually use industrial foam plugs. Have some low profile shotgunning muffs that I use when I have to talk to people between other people shooting which is usually ok for shotguns and pistols and rifles at a distance. Neither by itself sufficed when the rifles came out at the bays and we were next to a compensator spitting out half a mag every 3 minutes for what, 1.5 hours straight.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

• 1 month later...

If you found a Lancer smoke AR mag and/or a Glock 9mm mag with extension at this match, please let me know. They were most likely left together. Or bring them to Rockcastle tomorrow if you're shooting. I'll be there.

Thanks!