Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2014 ICORE Midwest Regional -- back to the Midwest!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about this guys, but we have changed the date of the ICORE Midwest Regional to July 5-6, 2014 at Ankeny, IA.

Please change the date in your respective calendars.

(Moderators, if you will remove the incorrect dates from post #1 of this thread, that might save some confusion. Thanks.)

Will Sunday be a full day of shooting? What time do you expect to be done?

Good question--I'm really not sure yet. I'm thinking this will probably be a one-day match, to be shot on Saturday July 5. Maybe we could have an optional shoot-off on Sunday morning, kinda like they do at the IRC.

I'm open to suggestions! What would you guys like to do?

They have a shoot-off on Sunday at the Rocky Mountain Regional ever since the regional has been going on. I think there is a $50 to $100 bounty to win.

Just put it on the entry as who wants to shoot it, set a strict start time and it goes pretty fast. It is usually open vs open, limited vs limited and then the winner's meet each other. You can give $50 to each division winner in the shoot-off and bragging rights to the overall winner. I am not sure how they work the classic shooters in.

With everyone pre-signed from entries you can make the brackets and draw random names to fill the order of the shooters. That will speed things up. Also I think they have a loser bracket so you can come back to win but that will add to the time it takes to run it. But it makes it exciting if a shooter comes all the way back to win.

Will there be a prize table and if there is they have usually done that after the match on Saturday so whoever does not want to shoot on Sunday does not have to show up.

Just some ideas.

They have a shoot-off on Sunday at the Rocky Mountain Regional ever since the regional has been going on. I think there is a $50 to $100 bounty to win.

Just put it on the entry as who wants to shoot it, set a strict start time and it goes pretty fast. It is usually open vs open, limited vs limited and then the winner's meet each other. You can give $50 to each division winner in the shoot-off and bragging rights to the overall winner. I am not sure how they work the classic shooters in.

With everyone pre-signed from entries you can make the brackets and draw random names to fill the order of the shooters. That will speed things up. Also I think they have a loser bracket so you can come back to win but that will add to the time it takes to run it. But it makes it exciting if a shooter comes all the way back to win.

Will there be a prize table and if there is they have usually done that after the match on Saturday so whoever does not want to shoot on Sunday does not have to show up.

Just some ideas.

Good suggestions, Dean. Sorta what I was thinking too. We will probably not have a major prize table. ICORE will give us some support, which we will certainly pass along, but I suspect we will keep it mostly plaques for the main match, and price it accordingly. I would envision handling the awards/prizes on Saturday after the main match is done. If we have a shoot-off or steel match on Sunday (none of this is written in stone--we're in the early planning stages), we will probably do some sort of cash pay-back for that.

Keep the ideas flowing. This thing is whatever we decide to make it!

have never shot ICORE need to check the divisions and see what one my guns fit in, could be a warm up for A3,

Cool. Head to ICORE.org and check out the rulebook, etc. It's pretty simple, actually--your guns and gear will almost certainly fit perfectly in one of the three ICORE divisions.

I asked for vacation scheduling. If the match ends by 2PM I can drive home and make it to work Monday. The idea of an IRC style shoot off sounds like fun. I like how all the juniors get to participate in the shoot off.

What is the best airport to fly into? Where to stay? Is there a match page? Going to try hard to squeeze this one in.

Ty, we will get that information up as it develops. Nearest airport is Des Moines, but check prices on Cedar Rapids and Omaha--sometimes you can get better deals if you're willing to drive a couple hours.

I asked for vacation scheduling. If the match ends by 2PM I can drive home and make it to work Monday. The idea of an IRC style shoot off sounds like fun. I like how all the juniors get to participate in the shoot off.

Whatever we do on Sunday, we should be able to get it wrapped up and have everybody on the road by 2pm.

Yep....I am aware! :D

Yeah I sure miss Bud he was a good guy. I cant remember if I was at that one and if I was evidently I didn't win. :-)

Edited by revoman

Yep....I am aware! :D

Yeah I sure miss Bud he was a good guy. I cant remember if I was at that one and if I was evidently I didn't win. :-)

Yes, that was the year you, Homm, Sam, and I went to the cajun place in Denver that dumps the food straight onto the table!

You were shooting Open, I believe.

Here's another idea that hit me this evening.....we could leave the stages up for Sunday, but staple up IPSC targets and run any interested competitors back through as an optional side match under USPSA rules.

If we started at 8am, I would bet we could have everybody done and on the road by 2pm.

Just an idea. Any thoughts?

Another option for a shoot off is to handicap it, as Missouri used to do with the Fall Classic. So many plates for Open, Limited, 6 shot, classic can even handicap it by Class. I did a MvM at CCPS in Topeka once that way and it worked out that I faced off with a guy with an Open gun for the final round. And the Open gun lost!

If I remember I was the one who came up with the shoot-off for the IRC and actually came up with a handicap for Masters shooting against A, B, C and D class shooters. I think they still use it at the IRC. It is based on time and I can't remember the splits but it goes something like this.

Master against Master no time split and so on down the line for all classes against each other but if a Master goes against a A then the A is given a 1/2 second head start. Master against a B the split would be 1 sec and add a 1/2 sec for each class lower. So the D would get a 2 sec head start. Then if an A went against a D the split would be 1 1/2 sec.

Doing it this way gives the lower class shooters a chance at actually winning instead of just getting whipped and not even participating or not wanting to try.

This might be hard to do since everyone coming to the Regional might not be classified in ICORE. You could do the Lewis scoring at the end of the match and classify those who do not have a classification. Of course some might step up to the line and decide they don't want the split and that is ok but once you give it up you don't get it back.

Here's another idea that hit me this evening.....we coulthereleave the stages up for Sunday, but staple up IPSC targets and run any interested competitors back through as an optional side match under USPSA rules.

If we started at 8am, I would bet we could have everybody done and on the road by 2pm.

Just an idea. Any thoughts? [/quote/)

This could be interesting as ICORE stages are to be set up 6 shot friendly and lot of people will have their 8 shots there. Could really show how 8 vs 6 minor major. Very interesting!

Edited by revoman

Actually the hanidcap Missouri used, and I did also, was to remove plates based on platform and class. If I remember the A Class Open Auto had 10 plates with a reload and the M Revolver had 7 plates and a reload. Was pretty close too.