Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prescription Shooting Glasses

ZackJones

New Colonial, Sounds like you have to add another step (+.25) to the dominate eye Rx. That sounds like the best solution. Have your eye doctor check it out. Ask him if you can bring your firearm in with you. Many will do that.................Rich

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been quite satisfied with the right eye sight, left eye target setup for some time now, ever since I read an article about the Lehman Optical "Overplus" system. I now wear Randolph Rangers.

I would be interested in new glasses with prescription inserts so I could change lens colors without having to pay for another prescription grind. BUT I can't find a dealer for stuff like Rudy Project in my little backwater.

I once tried on another shooter's ESS with inserts and was annoyed by my eyelashes flapping the close inserts.

Is this a problem with other brands like Rudy?

I am tempted to get an inexpensive pair of safety glasses like Uvex to test the concept.

I have the reverse bi focals.....they are in safety frames and seem to work ok...my near vision is getting to the point where the front sight were a total blur.

I tried the insert model with the clip in optic....hated it......

I'm looking at the Rudy Project glasses....any experience?????

The safety glasses I use now are a traditional frame and they constantly fog up in hot humid weather....I've tried every remedy to eliminate this problem....when it happens I'm screwed...

The Rudy frames seem to offer a more tradition sport frame I'm hoping will protect me but let air move around the frame......thanks...any input on Rudy appreciated....they ain't cheap.

Jim, The inserts can be problematic. One of the biggest problems is the added weight. If you're doing any significant action shooting the weight becomes a problem. If you're mainly doing bull's-eye it works much better.

I wrote an article withTodd Bender a few years ago. it was an interview format. It addresses the use of light related to Shooting. This may help. I'll find the link.

Three of the top five sporting clays shooters in the world today shoot with clear lenses. I am a firm believer in minimizing the amount of lenses that we usein letting in as much light as possible.

There is a specific niche. If you do a lot of handgun shooting along with clay target shooting you can set up one insert for clay target shooting and one insert for handgun.

However, usually the best thing to do is the simplest. Hope this helps.......RIch

• 5 months later...

Here's an update since my last post. The last few IDPA matches and practice sessions I've had I dumped the Rx glasses and used standard non-Rx eye protection. I've been rethinking the whole correction thing, and am starting to think I've spent too much effort trying to solve a problem that wasn't. "Normal" eyed people see a sharp front sight and blurry targets. I was correcting the non-dominant eye to see in the distance, and the dominant eye to focus on the front site. I've come to realize I don't need to see the distant targets clearly, and don't really need the correction for the front sight. My eyes currently focus at arm's length, currently.

With no corrected lenses, I can see in the distance well-enough to find targets, and recognize people (although I wouldn't drive a car without them.) I cannot see holes appear in targets, but they say we should be calling our shots, not watching for hits. With the mono-vision correction I often had to squint or blink to pull the front sight image in and ignore the target picture. The out-of-focus target picture is easier to ignore and I feel I can pick up the front sight quicker. (I did recently add a fiber optic front sight and that may be helping too, but I haven't decided if I really like it.)

It's a little discomforting to not see sharply in the distance, especially when I first remove my normal Rx eyeglasses to put on the shooting glasses. But, after a short time, and the shooting starts, I don't notice it. I've had a chance to shoot some plate racks and some partially covered targets, and haven't had a problem with the blurred distant aiming points; in fact I actually think I'm shooting more accurately with the increased sharpness and focus on the front of the gun.

I've not tried shooting indoors, where the light is lower. I don't use tinted lenses because I need all the light coming into my eyes I can get. That's another plus for doing away with the double layer of plastic in front of my eyes.

I don't know how long before my eyes age more to lose the front sight focus, but for now I'm giving up on trying to correct my distance vision for pistol shooting.

Good thread !!...... I'm 61 and found my near vision was presenting a severe problem with pistol front sight clarity....after several attempts with modified glasses I bit the bullet and got a pair of Rudy reverse prescription glasses. The near adjustment is on the top of the lense with no correction on the bottom. The GOOD....perfect front sight picture , light comfortable and fully adjustable frames. The BAD.......cannot use for anything but pistol...I have a cheap pair of normal bi- focal for long guns.

The trade off is the Rudy's do blurr the target , but I have concluded the front sight clarity outweighs the distance problem. It's a whole new world for us old folks......thanks to Rudy and my eye doctor for several modifications to the lenses along the way.....my experience !

I've been struggling for a few years now trying to figure out a descent solution to my vision issues. In general, I'm right handed - shooting and throwing, but I write left handed and bat left handed. I'm left eye dominant and have 20/30 vision in it. I see well-enough out of my left eye without correction that I've left it alone. I have keratoconus (thin, drooping cornea) in my right eye and my vision is terrible both near and far.

Glasses did not work well as my right eye was slow to focus. Currently, I use a hard contact lens that works pretty well for my right eye. The prescription is for distance and I haven't tried a specific prescription for front sight or scope, and given the cost of the contacts, it relatively cost prohibitive to experiment.

My big issue is being cross-eye dominant. While I have not anywhere near mastered positioning my pistol without tilting my head and screwing up my stance, I still have an issue with my rifle and shotgun. I've wanted to get into 3-gun for some time now, but given my current vision status, have not. For practice, I've kept my pistol right-handed and shoot left-handed with my long guns. It's awkward and I don't think this is a viable solution.

My current thought is to switch to lefty for all guns. It will take a fair amount of practice, but I think it's doable given I'm screwed-up enough as I already do some things left handed.

I figured I'd throw this out to the forum for your thoughts before I spend money on a new holster and change my belt-setup.

Thanks

I am just starting this nightmare as well

I am going against the wisdom here :surprise: , and here's my reasons

20/15 for both eyes until a couple of years ago. 20/40 left eye, now 20/40 both, 20/50 left

I am Rt handed, Rt eye dom, shoot OPEN everything I have has a RDS

Left eye has always been weak for distance.

to do like most I would be doing a 180* change on the last 40 years of vision.

Rx arrives next Wed.

ETA ,Thanks Steve, looks like I missed the shift key. corrected :blush:

Well , I've been fighting this since Feb :angry2: Can't get any contacts that work . Vision gets progressively worse the longer I wear them, 4 days is as long as I can put up with the worsening vision. Yes We've tried monthly, weekly and daytime only.

Basically the first day, day half not bad then vision starts getting the teary eye look, and gets progressively worse till I leave them out.

Tomorrow, I'm calling and getting glasses, I guess, not sure if I want to spend the $$. maybe just get readers and forget about it for a while

It's one of those things that I had to put away for the year before, but I can't overstate how much of an improvement it is. One of those little things like a good belt, where you're not really sure why you were doing anything else for so long.

• 5 months later...

Mentioned before but if you find the situation that the original poster did - reading letters/words only with the shooting eye set for distance - it's most likely because your dominant eye has led the way (been very dominant) when you read letters & words. It still needs to be set for a front sight distance for shooting. If you over-do it, you may get a clear rear sight focus - that's too much "Add" in the Rx.

No one really wants to hear bad news that "helps" but here it is: the chance that your health insurance vision benefit will pay for shooting glasses, or anything else that isn't your exact eye care Rx, is very close to zero. Even if it's the only pair of lenses you ask to make that year.

You'll need to take your vision Rx, get the near vision number for the eye you use to sight the gun (or slightly less "Add"), get the distance number for your non-sighting eye, and order your own glasses. Two very good companies are Zenni (cheaper) and Decot (pricier). Longer version found in post 15 (and post 24) here: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=194860

Follow that with this: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=184713&page=2entry2083879

and this: http://pistol-training.com/articles/vision and you're on your way.

Tag

My Rudys have the Rx insert. My dominant eye is corrected for front sight distance (+1.50), and the other eye is plano since my distance vision is 20/20.

I do shoot better when I remember to put them on as soon as I get to the range. It takes about 10-15 minutes for my eyes to adjust to them.

My regular optometrist seems to not care about my shooting issues. I found a new one who does care. He did exactly as you suggested originally. Right eye (dominate) has single lens focal length for my front sight and the left eye has a single vision lens for my distance vision. Both these lens also include a slight spherical correction for astigmatism.

I have these lens in an optical insert for my Rudy safety glasses. I can not read very well at normal reading distance, but my targets are sharp and my front sight is sharp. I have always closed my non dominate eye but I recently discovered I can easily switch back and forth between my sight and the target. I could never shoot both eyes open in the past. Now I can can very easily. I actually think I turned a deficiency into a positive. It will work if someone will work with you on getting the two lens correctly done.

I kind think taking your regular prescription to an optician gets better results. It seems the optometrists are too busy to work on something special. Good luck!