Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Bart Solo

What Is the Purpose of Practical Pistol Shooting?

"You do drugs, Danny?" -Ty Webb

Sorry, couldn't help myself. I'll go back to the kids table now.

On 1/6/2014 at 5:16 PM, Bart Solo said:

I read the posts in this folder and wonder what is the purpose of practical pistol shooting? Is it to discover who we are or to forget? Are we using the pistol as a tool to aid in meditation or to provide a means of defense? I read constantly about those who strive to not think as they shoot. Thinking slows them down. Thinking interfers with a smooth run. Thinking just might keep a stranger alive if one wanders into the meditation. Is not thinking required to be truly human? Or is Not Thinking the true goal of the practical shooting meditation? Is meditation an activity that separates us from our humanity? Just what is the way of practical pistol shooting--a meditation tool or a defensive skill?

I think you provided an answer to yourself.

It can be all of these things, or none of them.  

In the short of it; I shoot for practical reasons and to have fun.  You can meditate on and in anything, if you are capable.

Posted (edited)

The purpose of practical shooting the man asks...

Two thoughts come to mind..

First -  To crush my friends, see them driven before me as slaves, and to hear the lamentation of their women!  Ill pick 1-2 local guys slightly better than me and  eventually beat them then pick a few new guys. it feels good moving up, getting smoother, faster and more focused.

Second - I really enjoy the fellowship,  tacos and beer after the matches.

---------------------
As for No Mind.. I think it exists right before the beep and then the movie starts.

Edited by scroadkill

I do practical shooting so I can wear goofy jerseys, bright wraparound shades, and spend way too much money blazing away with completely impractical guns.  When I finish, then I can dab on the haters and moonwalk off the range.

If you treat this as anything other than a game, then I don't know what to tell you.

The purpose of practical shooting is obvious: to learn how to live. :D 

Whether it's the purpose or not,  I'm fascinated with the interplay of conscious and subconscious brain function.  Same goes with learning what's possible with my vision.  It's breaking free from deliberative action to a whole new world.