Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Is the Purpose of Practical Pistol Shooting?

Bart Solo

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/6/2014 at 5:16 PM, Bart Solo said:

I read the posts in this folder and wonder what is the purpose of practical pistol shooting? Is it to discover who we are or to forget? Are we using the pistol as a tool to aid in meditation or to provide a means of defense? I read constantly about those who strive to not think as they shoot. Thinking slows them down. Thinking interfers with a smooth run. Thinking just might keep a stranger alive if one wanders into the meditation. Is not thinking required to be truly human? Or is Not Thinking the true goal of the practical shooting meditation? Is meditation an activity that separates us from our humanity? Just what is the way of practical pistol shooting--a meditation tool or a defensive skill?

I think you provided an answer to yourself.

It can be all of these things, or none of them.  

In the short of it; I shoot for practical reasons and to have fun.  You can meditate on and in anything, if you are capable.

• 1 year later...

The purpose of practical shooting the man asks...

Two thoughts come to mind..

First -  To crush my friends, see them driven before me as slaves, and to hear the lamentation of their women!  Ill pick 1-2 local guys slightly better than me and  eventually beat them then pick a few new guys. it feels good moving up, getting smoother, faster and more focused.

Second - I really enjoy the fellowship,  tacos and beer after the matches.

---------------------
As for No Mind.. I think it exists right before the beep and then the movie starts.

Edited by scroadkill

I do practical shooting so I can wear goofy jerseys, bright wraparound shades, and spend way too much money blazing away with completely impractical guns.  When I finish, then I can dab on the haters and moonwalk off the range.

If you treat this as anything other than a game, then I don't know what to tell you.

• 3 weeks later...

Whether it's the purpose or not,  I'm fascinated with the interplay of conscious and subconscious brain function.  Same goes with learning what's possible with my vision.  It's breaking free from deliberative action to a whole new world.

On 5/30/2019 at 1:43 PM, UpYoursPal said:

I do practical shooting so I can wear goofy jerseys, bright wraparound shades, and spend way too much money blazing away with completely impractical guns.  When I finish, then I can dab on the haters and moonwalk off the range.

If you treat this as anything other than a game, then I don't know what to tell you.

Yes, I was just told that there's a new goofy club jersey waiting for me at the range!

Planning to go today, if it stops raining. Get the jersey, see some targets and shoot them.

• 2 weeks later...

We train to shoot without thinking about the shot, not to be a mindless projectile spitting machine.

So train to perform the shot without the need to focus on it.

That frees up the mind to observe and process ones surroundings and hopefully find a way out without resorting to a gun or needing to fire a shot.  

In competition it allows us to focus on effeciently running a course of fire.  

Meditation is what to use to be calm when faced with someone screaming at you, but not being a threat.

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/8/2019 at 12:23 PM, pskys2 said:

We train to shoot without thinking about the shot, not to be a mindless projectile spitting machine.

So train to perform the shot without the need to focus on it.

That frees up the mind to observe and process ones surroundings and hopefully find a way out without resorting to a gun or needing to fire a shot.  

In competition it allows us to focus on effeciently running a course of fire.  

Meditation is what to use to be calm when faced with someone screaming at you, but not being a threat.

Can not agree with this. 

We train to "Mindfulness" at the moment we shoot, during recoil. Train to see the A zone, call shots, call the trigger finger, train to live in that moment. 

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Lots of interesting thoughts to ponder in this thread.  I think our understanding of the purpose of practical pistol shooting starts as one thing when we first enter the sport, then changes if we stick around long enough, as we move along the path.  Kind of like our understanding of life, mindfulness and Zen I guess.

This is an interesting subject.    I like to think it’s a little of both.    I like to use it to hone and refine my skills as well as an escape from the real world.      In those few moments  after that start signal it’s just me the gun and the targets.  Everything else doesn’t exist.