Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Imac vs Mac Mini

Avezorak

Im about to buy my first Mac. It will be a home computer so I dont need a laptop. I will be mostly using it to surf/pay bills, use spreadsheets and store pics and video. I wont be gaming or using any heavy duty editing software.

Can you guys who have one or both give me some pros and cons. Thanks!

I have a Mac Mini and it's a great little computer. The main plus is that I can pick my monitor since I don't want a huge glossy monitor, don't like the reflections.

For your use a base Mac mini will probably be the best choice since you don't really need the quad core processor that the iMac comes with.

iMac starts at 1300 and the Mini at 600 + 300 for a decent monitor.

The iMac is self contained so it has a smaller footprint but I mount my Mini on the wall so it doesn't clutter my desk, it can also be mounted behind your desk, that thing is tiny.

You really can't go wrong either way but the Mini will meet your needs very well and the price is better.

It all depends on how much you want to spend, I have a 27 inch imac for the office but use an macbook air most of the time. I also have a mac mini hooked to my main tv and we use it to play movies from. It is really hard to go wrong with any version, I would let your budget dictate your purchase.