Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Make a Captured Buffer Spring?

blkexp98

I saw a post somewhere and now I cant find it on how to make a captured buffer spring. If I remember right they used a 1911 spring and had a pretty good discussion on its construction and good changes. Do any of you recall seeing that and know where it was?

I ran a Silent Captured spring system all last year. Other than no spring sound when shooting, I don't know that it was any better than anything else.

The whole setup is currently sitting in my center console in my vehicle, and I'm not sure if I'll sell it, use it for a new build, or toss it into one of my other rifles. I'll likely see how it's supposed to do with suppressed rifles first.

I agree in that I don't know if its better than a non captured spring, I just like the fact that its so quiet. You don't notice it until you shoot a gun without it, then the spring sounds horrendous! That being said, my new competition rifle is being built with a std JP buffer spring.

• 2 weeks later...

It might just be my perception but the JP captive spring did seem to remove some of the feel of the action cycling from my rifle.

It's not a min-blowing alteration like shooting my 3-gun rifle next to my standard AR carbine. There are lots of other rifle upgrades I would make first, but I do think it has some benefit when stacked in with the rest of parts we use to make rifles shoot flat.

• 1 month later...

Well, I guess I wanted to reinvent the wheel. See Left model.

Decided to make it heavier and added carrier alignment. 4.9 OZ.

Aluminum body was getting beat up pretty bad so now it's 1018 steel and 41L40.

A rubber washer can be added to front as well if wanted. Time will tell how it holds up but it's really smooth.

Nick

Captured.jpg

• 3 years later...
On 1/21/2014 at 4:42 PM, fastshooter03 said:

Can you pick out the original?

post-10485-0-17544600-1390351147_thumb.j

Of course you can!

No need to reinvent the wheel here.

Just buy the JP spring kit and go to town!

I'll get around to seeing if the 1911 springs are a viable option one of these days.

Nick

Did you end up using 1911 springs and what weight spring if you did?  Looking for alternative spring replacements.

I made two of them, both for rolls that JP didn’t yet have systems to fill. One is for my 9mm (this was back in 2012 before JP had a 9mm offering) and it uses a very heavy brass buffer and 1911springs. I can’t remember what rate springs I settled on but I think it was a 22lb and 24 lb. One of the springs is full length and there is about 1/3rd of another stacked on top of it. The guide rod diameter allows the two spring flats to remain aligned and function without kinking from the ends trying to “nest” within one another. It totally transformed the gun, making it smoother and quieter. I now shoot it suppressed almost 100% of the time and can’t imagine living with the “SPROINGGGGG!” of the old system. 

The second is a super low mass system that I’m using with a lightened bolt carrier. It uses a very short and light delrin buffer (with a long fixed bumper to achieve to proper travel) and JP springs. I say JP springs, because I bought their spring kit so that I can play with it and sort of dial it in. I’m using this one in conjunction with a gas bleed type of adjustable gas block, on a slightly heavy-ish rifle (for a 16” gun) with the whole idea being to see how soft shooting I can make it. I’ve still got some experimenting to do, but the results have been promising so far.

I say if you have a lathe in need of a project and a super specific want, go for it and build a captured spring system of your own. I built neither of mine because I didn’t want to pony up the funds and buy the JP product. They were built for rather specific purposes that weren’t perfectly covered by JP. In fact, I have a short JP captured spring system out of a Maxim Defense CQB stock that I use in a short buffer tube (not the Maxim) on a 300 BLK SBR. I have no desire to replicate it because if I did, I’d end up with pretty much exactly what JP provided. Yes, the two I made were fun to do, but having done it twice now, I’ll spend my free time having fun on some different gun related project.

11 minutes ago, JKW said:

I made two of them, both for rolls that JP didn’t yet have systems to fill. One is for my 9mm (this was back in 2012 before JP had a 9mm offering) and it uses a very heavy brass buffer and 1911springs. I can’t remember what rate springs I settled on but I think it was a 22lb and 24 lb. One of the springs is full length and there is about 1/3rd of another stacked on top of it. The guide rod diameter allows the two spring flats to remain aligned and function without kinking from the ends trying to “nest” within one another. It totally transformed the gun, making it smoother and quieter. I now shoot it suppressed almost 100% of the time and can’t imagine living with the “SPROINGGGGG!” of the old system. 

dfTGuJV.jpg

The second is a super low mass system that I’m using with a lightened bolt carrier. It uses a very short and light delrin buffer (with a long fixed bumper to achieve to proper travel) and JP springs. I say JP springs, because I bought their spring kit so that I can play with it and sort of dial it in. I’m using this one in conjunction with a gas bleed type of adjustable gas block, on a slightly heavy-ish rifle (for a 16” gun) with the whole idea being to see how soft shooting I can make it. I’ve still got some experimenting to do, but the results have been promising so far.

v4aon61.jpg

I say if you have a lathe in need of a project and a super specific want, go for it and build a captured spring system of your own. I built neither of mine because I didn’t want to pony up the funds and buy the JP product. They were built for rather specific purposes that weren’t perfectly covered by JP. In fact, I have a short JP captured spring system out of a Maxim Defense CQB stock that I use in a short buffer tube (not the Maxim) on a 300 BLK SBR. I have no desire to replicate it because if I did, I’d end up with pretty much exactly what JP provided. Yes, the two I made were fun to do, but having done it twice now, I’ll spend my free time having fun on some different gun related project.

Edited to add pictures. The red bumper material is harder than it looks in the photos. It’s 90 durometer urethane. 

On 1/26/2018 at 7:58 PM, fastshooter03 said:

Sorry for the delay I don't check this forum very often...

1911 springs don't have the length needed for 223. 

Nick

No worries, thanks for the response.  Which spring did you end up using and where did you get them from?

Nice homemade setups JKW.

• 2 years later...
On 1/31/2018 at 2:05 AM, fastshooter03 said:

Thank You!

I just buy the JP spring pak from Brownells.  I usually end up with black or white.

Latest version I used all 316 stainless for corrosion resistance since they seem to like to corrode using standard steel.

Nick

Nice work. What plastic do you use for the bumper? 

The clip that locks the weights, do you purchase theese from JP or elsewhere? :-)

• 3 weeks later...

I use white delrin for the bumper.  My design does not use the clips but if you need them McMaster Carr or an industrial supply company has spiral rings.

The 2nd gen(left in blue pic) had a ring that was pressed onto the front of the body.  I only made one similar to the JP one before changing things up.

The latest version uses the least amount of material and is held in place by the spring.  Also has more room for the weight to slide back and forth.

Nick