Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

? on the 43 OZ rule for ssp

tiger49931

With the increase in weight do you think they will allow weighted base pads and tungsten guide rods in ssp as long as you make weight? i was looking at getting some aluminum base plates and a new guide rod but dont want to spend the money if it will make my gun illegal for ssp..

I'd guess they will allow what the rulebook says.

8.1.7. Non-IDPA-Legal Modifications for All Divisions

8.1.7.2. Add-on weights for a competitive advantage. This includes (but is not limited to) weighted magazines, tungsten guide rods, brass magazine wells, weighted grips, and weighted grip plugs.

SSP permitted:

8.2.1.3.18. Aftermarket magazine base pads may be used provided they do not make the magazine weight more than 1.00 oz/28.3 grams over the same capacity factory magazine.
8.2.1.3.19. Magazine base pads may be modified by reshaping, texturing, or adding bumper pads provided that they do not make the magazine weigh more than 1.00 oz/28.3 grams over the same capacity factory magazine.

• 2 weeks later...

how are they for accuraccy. i am really interested in one but dont wanna drop the wad if they gonna be a 5" @ 25yrds kinda thing . i heard they are really accurate but thats just scuttlebutt . cause i dont know anyone who ones one..

With the increase in weight do you think they will allow weighted base pads and tungsten guide rods in ssp as long as you make weight? i was looking at getting some aluminum base plates and a new guide rod but dont want to spend the money if it will make my gun illegal for ssp..

You can use a steel guide rod, but not tungsten.

I don't believe the full length dust cover is illegal in SSP. Only ESP and CDP.

It works the other way around. Steel FLDC's are ONLY legal in SSP, but if you have an SSP legal gun, you can play in ESP or CDP depending on caliber. This is how you can get a steel FLDC'd gun into ESP, through SSP. But that means you can't add a mag well, etc. The gun has to be SSP legal.

Edited by Steve Koski

I don't believe the full length dust cover is illegal in SSP. Only ESP and CDP.

It works the other way around. Steel FLDC's are ONLY legal in SSP, but if you have an SSP legal gun, you can play in ESP or CDP depending on caliber. This is how you can get a steel FLDC'd gun into ESP, through SSP. But that means you can't add a mag well, etc. The gun has to be SSP legal.

Correct, if it breaks an ESP/CDP rule, it can only be legal in those divisions if it is SSP legal. Prime example is a CZ SP01 and maybe the CZ 97... But it has to stay SSP legal, so no external modifications, magwell, target trigger, etc ...

Isn't that correct Koski?

I have 2 CZ75's and many of my friends have Shadow's. The older 75's(pre-90's) were not always as accurate due to barrel internal dimension differences, but boy oh boy, these new Shadows can shoot! Very few people will be able to even get close to the accuracy potential of the normal Shadows.

One of our local PPC High Masters imported a specialy tuned and fitted Sig X5 Competition specifically to shoot PPC with. He paid an astronomical price for this custom shop Sig and shot a couple of Personal Best scores with it. He then bought a Shadow for IPSC and for a laugh shot it at a PPC event and matched his best ever score with the custom Sig 1st time out!

The Accu-Shadows are reputed to be even more accurate, but I doubt that most shooters will be able to out shoot the standard Shadow.

• 2 weeks later...

how are they for accuraccy. i am really interested in one but dont wanna drop the wad if they gonna be a 5" @ 25yrds kinda thing . i heard they are really accurate but thats just scuttlebutt . cause i dont know anyone who ones one..

This was the target included in my CZ75 Shadow T from CZC:

CZ75ShadowTCustomTarget_zps950fddbc.jpg

The pistol:

CZ75ShadowTCustom_zps205cef5b.jpg

It's not a stock 75 Shadow, it's the one worked over by CZCustoms and also has the short reset trigger in it. I put in a lighter mainspring to get the DA pull (and to a lesser degree the SA pull) down a bit. It's around 6.25lbs DA and a tad under 3 SA if I remember correctly. It's a sweet shooting pistol.

I went with the 75 instead of the SP01 because of the old rule book weights. It was easier to just get this one rather than fiddle with the SP01. The SP01 should fit under the new rules.

The match before last, my son beat me by .7% with a box stock CZ75B against me with an 85B with some "tweaks". His shadow came, from CZC, before the most recent match and he beat me by 7%. Both off us are new to the sport and I am old and slow. But I blame the gun for his dominance.