Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for range cart. Whats good.

WidowsSon683

I've got one of these (got it on sale for a lot less):

http://www.kmart.com/mac-sports-folding-wagon-red/p-089W017182600001P?prdNo=1

Then I got one of these:

http://www.ruggedgear.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=308/category_id=178/home_id=-1/mode=prod/prd308.htm

I keep going back to the wagon. It folds flatter, without removing the wheels and holds my Shooter's Connection bag. I just added a couple of gun mounts for 3 gun. If the terrain is sort of rugged, I take my gun cart instead because it rolls a little easier.

Check out Competitive Edge Dynamics. They make 2 foldable range carts. One specifically designed for their Pro Range Backpack and another that almost any range bag will fit on. They are pretty slick. I have the one for my pro Range Backpack and don't know how I got along without it ....

Thats exactly what i need kmca, a foldable wagon but with wheels like Sarge's cart.

When I bought my wagon, I read that the wheels were the weak points (breaking after continued use). I anticipated fabricating new wheel mounts and replacing the existing wheels with wider, all terrain type. They haven't broken yet (knock on wood :) ), besides, with wider wheels, it wouldn't fold up as designed. It can be hard pulling through sand or deep gravel, but other than that, it works well for me.

Since I shoot 3 Gun and USPSA, this is what I use. It's a bit on the expensive side but the construction is top notch. The "tray" in front of the adjustable push handle is great for loading magazines and the area between the long gun mounts holds the pistol bag and a cooler. It also comes with a complete rain cover that stores in it's own compartment. It zips open so you can access the cart contents when range masters determine that it's not raining hard enough to stop the match. Both rear wheels lock so it won't take off down the hill on you. The front wheel steers so it's very easy to maneuver. The rear wheels also come off easily and the cart folds in half for quick storage. Great design and attention to detail.

Rugged Gear

Additional details and pictures here

BC

prd_153.jpg

Edited by BillChunn

I am currently using a baby car-seat stroller frame that has been re-purposed - folds flat, light weight, and works fine for hauling essential stuff like shooting bag/cooler/stuff around the range, and it was free after my youngest outgrew the car-seat stage - but, it still is a baby carriage so my man-card was revoked with ceremony like the opening scene in "Branded". :blush: (Branded reference for the young'uns:

)

We have a jogging stroller that I am jonsing to re-purpose for shooting so maybe I can get my man-card back, but my youngest still uses it and Mama won't let me have it....yet.

One of the nice things about having a good, stable cart is that you can mount an umbrella on it to give yourself some shade. Several of the folks I shoot with have umbrella rigs on their carts and I have a serious case of umbrella envy since I don't have one. Just be aware that if you do put an umbrella on your cart and it is windy be sure to use the wheel chocks....especially if there is a drainage ditch full of water nearby. Just saying... :rolleyes:

Depends on the range grounds such as gravel, sand etc. I have found that you need bigger wheels and you need to get the range bag raised from the ground. As you push it around, dust gets everywhere and skinny wheels gets stuck in sand.

If you search '3-gun cart' or '3gun cart', or even 'shooting cart' instead of 'range cart' you'll get a lot of fun threads to browse through to see everyone's pimped out jogging strollers, since the 3gun folks have the equipment logistics problem x3 compared to pistol.

I like the walmart wagon linked above (got one on sale < $60 at some point), they also have that at costco often. A good 'mod' for that I've seen is a wire or rope from the handle to the wagon so that the handle never falls to the ground, its aways ready for you to pull.

The jogging stollers are also very nice, if your kids have outgrown them, you can almost push them around with just a finger or two even fully loaded. I'd recommend something semi-new that was made for mom's and mini-vans - they are pretty light weight and will fit in your car vs. the older steel ones that maybe don't fold and are heavier.

And with any of these, watch how you load, its especially easy to make a stroller top heavy and tip over - put the cooler near the bottom, not the top!

I went the running stroller route, but was never happy with how much room it took up when collapsed. Also to help it take up less space I had to remove the front tire which became a pain in the A## really fast. Then I saw someone with one of the Sams Club cart as mentioned above. So I went out and bought one and I love it. Folds flat and holds a lot more than the stroller. I do not do 3-gun, therefore do not need the long gun holders.

I have one of those carts fom Rugged Mountain for 3-gun matches as well, worth every penny. However, for USPSA pistol matches I don't carry anywhere near the same amount of equipment and I found the cart kind of over kill so i bought a Range Pack Pro and cart from CED. As a bonus I get to leave all my 3-gun specific equipment in the Rugged Mt cart and not have to switch back and forth all the time ...

I bought one of the Sam's club carts last year from Costco and I love it. I put on a bungee cord for the handle which works great. Over the holidays I added a piece of PVC pipe for an umbrella and bought a nice beach umbrella and chair. The flap from the umbrella ties over the chair on the side. I can't wait to see the reaction on the range when I pull it out this summer.

Get a smaller range bag, put just what you need to shoot, keep the rest in your car / truck, there is always enough time to go get something from it if really needed. The point I am making if you have extra room you will find something to put there .

I bought one of the Sam's club carts last year from Costco and I love it. I put on a bungee cord for the handle which works great. Over the holidays I added a piece of PVC pipe for an umbrella and bought a nice beach umbrella and chair. The flap from the umbrella ties over the chair on the side. I can't wait to see the reaction on the range when I pull it out this summer.

Pics?

• 4 weeks later...

I've got one of these (got it on sale for a lot less):

http://www.kmart.com/mac-sports-folding-wagon-red/p-089W017182600001P?prdNo=1

I bought one of those. It lasted for about 6 months, then the front wheel snapped off. I've seen several other guys using this one, it seems much more robust than the folding wagon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003OANHEY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Edited by cindynles

This is what I started from. Bought it on sale then used a discount coupon and got the price under $30.

Now that I'm getting into 3 gun, I've added some ATV rifle racks and I'm good to go. Only problem is you need a big trunk or a pickup truck to haul it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/welding-cart-65939.html

With those big tires it handles the rocks and mud out at Impact.

Bill

I have used the Competitive Edge Dynamics but found that it was only useful for my range bag without stacking things on top of each other. I started using the Sam's Club foldable wagon and it works great. Holds range bag, small cooler, jacket, foldable stool, etc. and everything is easy to get at....

I'll be getting an Eckla like Sarge has soon enough. If I decide to try 3-gun, and I'd LOVE to, I've already got some of the ATV gun racks that will clamp right onto the side rails.

I've dinked around with 3 different jogging strollers and haven't been happy with any of them. Time to suck it up, spend the coin, and get one that really works nicely. Plus, I like the reloading tray and rest-my-butt seat.