Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger issues with magazine inserted

Kevinhod

I'm having trouble figuring out what is wrong with my STI 2011. I have 4 SV mags for it. 2 of them work fine, but the other two won't allow the hammer to drop when I pull the trigger. It's like the mags are too big and binding up the trigger somehow. Problem is, all 4 mags work fine in my Open STI gun. I tried 5 other mags from a fellow shooter that didn't work. They were SV and STS brand. I figured it has to be something with the gun. So I swapped out the grip to no avail. Swapped the sear spring with a known good one, tried a known good trigger, etc... It seems like for some reason the mags won't allow the trigger to go back far enough. It's either that or the disconnector is so loose in there that the trigger is having to travel farther than it normally should. I tried putting my Infinity trigger in there from my Open gun and it wouldn't even drop the hammer when I pulled it, but that trigger rocks in my Open setup.

Do you guys think I have a loose or worn out disconnector or sear? I'm about ready to take it to a gunsmith now as I don't have a spare disconnector or sear laying around to test.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I had a trigger freeze issue on an STI edge with a stock trigger/sear/disconnector...

One of the problems the gunsmith found was that the sear teeth were roughed up. Also found the trigger bow was hitting some of the mags.

Look at the mags and see if there is a rub on them. Then with the gun up side down look at the trigger bow and use a flashlight to see if the bow moves in a manner where it might touch a mag...

Lastly look at the take up screw... Has it moved?

J

Remove the mag and take off the slide. Look down the grip well from the top and pull the trigger. (Make sure the hammer is down to prevent damage) Pay special attention to the trigger bow where it comes off the trigger and splits to go around the mag well. If the two metal sections are uneven at the split I bet you will find that the front section of the bow is extended into the mag well area. It will disconnect fine with the mag removed but not with it inserted. (Ask me how I know) I have pictures of the one out of mine that I replaced. It would run with one out of six mags. A replacement trigger got it running like a top.

My steelmaster had the same issue. After scratching my head for a while I just called them. Without hesitation he new what it was. The trigger bow is at minimum tolerance and the mags are at max tolerance causing the bow to hit the magazines requiring a hard trigger pull. Just like sonofspartans said but this is how the tech at STI explained it to me. After replacing the bow it runs fine now.

• 11 months later...

Sorry to resurect this old thread, but for those that have had this problem, was it a manufacturing issue, or was it something that could be adjusted out? I just got a new gunsmith trigger, took the time machining it to my liking and installed it and it is perfect with no magazine. But if I put a magazine in and chamber a round (so far just snap cap) with one still in the magazine the spring tension pushes the mag forward and the trigger bar touches it. No mag, or empty mag the trigger is great ~2.25 lbs, but if i have a loaded mag and rack one into the chamber the pull goes up to about 4.5 lbs or higher... I'm thinking if there is a way to just stretch out the inside portion a bit, if you look down at the trigger bar with the slide off you can see it is not perfectly straight across, it comes back toward the magazine well right behind the trigger shoe.

post-33893-0-22844800-1418670606_thumb.j

post-33893-0-80804600-1418670612_thumb.j

post-33893-0-34812300-1418670620_thumb.j

post-33893-0-44158800-1418670626_thumb.j

post-33893-0-21962900-1418670636_thumb.j

So if you put in an empty mag and grab the bottom that is sticking out of the gun, and pull it back, it should cause the same issue.

If it does, the front of the mag is touching the trigger bow and/or the back is touching something.

If the overtravel screw is screwed in too far, it would push the trigger bow into the magazine well.

When the mag is pushed forward, it would cause the trigger bow to have to push on the magazine back, to push it back until the trigger can release the hammer.

Your issue would be with the grip not allowing the trigger to reset forward enough in the grip. Look at the grip and also the trigger bow and also the trigger itself.

This was just a rehash of what I read in the previous posts, trying to make it simple.

Randy

I'm pretty confident with my diagnosis. I did confirm last night, that when I push the magazine back (top goes forward) and creates the same situation. As far as the over travel screw goes, that stops against the mag release right, so that shouldn't really effect anything. I have checked and I still have more than enough over travel to keep that form being the problem anyway. (With the magazine removed)

The main question I have for you guys, is if you have this problem, has everyone just contacted STI and gotten a replacement part? (is my part most likely out of spec?) Or, should I be able to basically just bend the trigger bar back to a shape where it will work properly. If the latter is the case, what technique did you guys use to reshape the bar?

You can adjust the trigger stirrup pretty easily using the frame as your forming tool.

Take the gun to pieces leaving only the trigger in the frame. Lock the frame in a soft jaw vice and using a long brass rod inserted from the back of the frame (where the beavertail sits) and a small hammer, gently tap the stirrup on both sides of the trigger insert (at the bend) to re-profile it. Work slowly and put the mag catch back in to test for mag clearance. Once you have it clearing all of your mags, you may have to dress the sides of the stirrup a bit for smoothness.

That should do it.

• 3 weeks later...