Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

December

benos

My first post to the forum.... ;)

2004 has been a benchmark year for me, in terms of learning things about myself.

First, foremost, and primarily - I, and I alone, am responsible for my feelings, actions, reactions, and interactions with the world around me. No one else shares my exact perspective in things, and I am not the center of the universe. Therefore, it is entirely up to me to recognize my proper, right-sized place in the universe, and to humbly go about my life in it. If I am unhappy or lonely, it's my responsibility to do something about - no one else will do it for me. If I am fearful, it is up to me to recognize and overcome it - no one else can be courageous for me. If I live my life as humbly, gratefully, and gracefully as possible, I am happier and feel more connected to my fellow man, and the rest of the of the universe.

Secondarily - and more on topic to this forum - I came to the realization that shooting IPSC was the most fulfilling thing I've ever done in my life, on a personal and spiritual level. I've committed to myself that, once my wife and I relieve ourselves of the "great hole of debt" we're in, I will return to shooting - and I sincerely hope that's sooner rather than later. Many, many lessons learned along that decision path over the past 5 or so years since I've shot competitively - too many things to go into here. My perspective is a lot different, now, though - and perhaps this time around I'll enjoy it a little more ;)

Take care, and have a great holiday season, all of you. I'll return to lurk mode for a while, now.... :P

Dave (formerly TY-25626)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I'm really enjoying reading all the posts thus far. What a great thread!

And I was thinking, (especially since I enjoy changing the rules after the game began), anyone is eligible to win this month's contest. (Read: previous winners for this year.)

Thanks to everyone!

be

After losing my wife's 45 year old sister to a massive stroke in February, I learned to celebrate and treasure the small day to day moments in life, for they are often what give us the most solace, and fondest memories...

Since I started shooting August 2003, frustration hounded me in all the matches i joined. Either I didn't hit the targets (including the close ones), or I screwed up because of a misplaced mindset. Reflecting on my previous matches and browsing on the nuggets of shooting wisdom in this forum, I learned the following:

1. Know where I am - To do so helps me determine where I want to go

2. Return to fundamentals - To start my journey right. Like in any martial arts, no one becomes a blackbelt in 1 day. Learning and trying to master the fundamentals would help build a stable foundation for significant strides of improvement.

3. Patience - The journey of a thousand miles...... Acceptance that one has to pay the price in pursuit of excellence.

4. See what I need to see to make the hit

5. I can only shoot as fast as I can see

Not only did I learn the value of nos. 4 and 5, I proved it to myself. The results are personally significant. From a consistent cellar dweller, I am now able to place within the Top 15.Eye Cutter doesn't wanna teach me anymore :P

And the most important lesson of all that I must always re-learn day in and out, whether I'm shooting or not is:

To always keep an open mind and maintain an appetite for learning new (and sometimes old )things ;)

The single best thing I learned this year is to keep an open mind in and out of the box.

Too many times I've stepped up to the box and had a predisposed idea of how things should look and feel. Sometimes, at least for me, things look different during the walk through and after the timer goes off. Not all the time but enough that it has made me notice.

Out of the box, I've learned to listen to everyone's ideas about a stage and think about how what they saw might improve what I see.

What I learn ed this year:

(For married guys only) "I think, therefore she's mad."

Load more than you clean.

Shoot more than you load.

Train more than you shoot.

Think more than you train.

Dream more than you think.

Drive the gun, see the shot, repeat.

After losing my wife's 45 year old sister to a massive stroke in February, I learned to celebrate and treasure the small day to day moments in life, for they are often what give us the most solace, and fondest memories...

A very wise thing! I too learned that there are no ordinary moments. This year I also learned that no matter what, never, ever, under any circumstances, give up. Perserverance, determination, and fortitude are worth a sizable sum....you can endure more than you realize.

IN 2004, I have had my nose rubbed in a couple of things, both shooting and non-shooting related.

Shooting- pay attention to the front sight and the trigger. Most all else is a distraction at that point.

Life-As I get older, it is frequently more important to be able to UNlearn something than to learn something. This helps keep my mind open to new possibilites, eliminates prejudice, and allows me to take my teen aged daughter to heavy metal concerts and enjoy the music. :ph34r:

I learned as a noob if an RTO doesnt like you, your score suffers. Oh, and to be politically consumate with the other posts how about, "Gee I like smurfs, but didnt used to because they are blue and stuff but now I do because I can tolerate them with my mind like really open."

Shooting related things learned this year:

I can't shoot more than one shot at a time, no matter how fast I pull the trigger.

The shot I'm making right now is the most important shot of the match.

There is no any one shot in the match I can't make, at my own pace.

Thinking of anything other than the now is just clutter.

Life related things I've learned this year:

Good things come to those who wait..... but waiting can drive you nuts :wacko:

I learned that I am blessed in so many ways that I can't even begin to enumerate...

Something happened a couple of weeks back that hit me square in the gut and I would have to say that it is at the top of the list of things that I learned this past year.

I was sitting at home at night watching some TV and cleaning my magazines after a less than stellar morning practicing at the range. I was feeling a bit down because I am not progressing as quickly as I think I should...

Then a show starts on HBO that show interviews with the families of soldiers that were killed in Iraq and the last letters that these family members received from their loved ones before they perished...

As I sat there with tears in my eyes I learned that there are so many things out there more important than my miniscule worries and concerns about improving in a sport.

That day I learned that family, honor and courage are the things that really matter...

Cor

I do not usually reply to questions such as this, but in the season, here is the one thing I learned above all others that will stay with me.

I have watched my wife's father slip from us over the last year in a way I hope never happens to anyone else I know.

Bob is 83 years old. Until last year he walked an average of 10 miles a day. Over the last year, his Alzheimers has taken all his strength and most of his memories. We spent the day with my wife's family yesterday and it was very sad to see him barely be able to walk and to recognize al,ost no one.

At times I complain about my aches and pains. How selfish that has been of me. Seeing what Bob goes through and how quickly it has happened is something I will never forget.

So, here it is:

I have learned that no matter what we are given to face, there will always be another hurdle. The proof of the type of man or woman we are is how we face the challenge. Complaining does no one any good whether it be to an RO, a co worker, a spouse, or to yourself. As my daughter always says, "Just suck it up and deal"

A wise young woman.

I have learned that no matter what we are given to face, there will always be another hurdle.  The proof of the type of man or woman we are is how we face the challenge.  Complaining does no one any good .......

How true. Most of us never actually come to this realization. We would all be better people if we did.

At this point in my life I have finally come to realize that no matter how many slumps I have, or how good or bad I get, I am going to keep on shooting no matter what. As long as I can hold a gun, I will be on a range somewhere. I simply enjoy it too much to ever stop.

The biggest thing that I learned this year is that no matter how tricked out your equipment is or how well you've worked up your mental game, if your body isn't physically ready, your not going to score. This year, after spending time on the mental game as well as my equipment, I developed such a bad case of tenis elbow, that made it extremely difficult and painful to even hold up and grip a pistol.

Bob from Ohio

pay attention on what people are saying, but pay more attention what they are NOT saying.

I like that one!

;)

And David's:

Learning that patience and tolerance hold an important place in life just as they do in shooting.

is still right up there. Pertinent, powerful, and concise, just like my dad.

;)