Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

More indexing problems on the 650

All,

There have been many threads about the indexing on the 650, the jarring that causes powder to jump, thrust bearing upgrades, cutting springs, etc., etc. My latest problem is somehow related to one or more of these things. The thing refuses to consistently put the ball under the shell plate into the detent without my having to jiggle the handle or nudge the shell plate manually.

I've tried various tightnesses on the shell plate bolt, which didn't seem to have any effect. I tried the thrust bearing upgrade, which also had no effect. I also switched to a different shell plate, and this also didn't have any effect. The little hammer shaped piece that pushes the shell plate in its rotation does not look irregular in any way. I've also tried greasing the underside of the shell plate as well as the ball on the spring under it.

Does anyone have any other suggestions of things to try? It's quite hard to load in quantity without being able to get into any sort of dependable groove.

Thanks

Did you clip the spring? I personally found when I tried that that the press did not stay indexed. Sounds like a loose shell plate or a clipped spring to me. With the bearing the plate should be pretty tight. It should just turn without putting too much stress on the indexer. You didn't put a washer or anything under the shell plate right? Sorry to ask but sometimes we all do some things by mistake.

Look at the steel part that the primer anvil sets on (below the ram on the right side of the machine) and check for a primer or other crap in the pocket it forms with the casting.

If there is nothing there can you measure the stroke you get from a reference point on the ram to a reference point at the top of the machine? Photos might also help for comparison to others when you do this.

Edited by jmorris

Thanks Sarge. No, I didn't clip the spring and am looking to avoid that route for some irrational reasons that I don't know. And no, nothing under the shell plate.

I think I need to just take everything apart and clean and inspect everything to make sure there isn't some tiny "hangnail" I'm not seeing. I tend to use my press in modes, one of which being decapping mode, which I just went through. I decapped about 5,000 9mm, which of course means that approximately 2500 spent primers shot anywhere BUT the spent primer cup. For all I know there is a spent primer wedged somewhere.

Look at the steel part that the primer anvil sets on (below the ram on the right side of the machine) and check for a primer or other crap in the pocket it forms with the casting.

If there is nothing there can you measure the stroke you get from a reference point on the ram to a reference point at the top of the machine? Photos might also help for comparison to others when you do this.

Thanks. I think I'll just take the entire primer system off and see if that changes anything. I hadn't thought of any possible primer assembly causes.

On the left side of the press is plastic ramp that the shell plate advance arm slides on to activate the shell plate. If you loosen the two screws you can adjust that ramp a little. Just don't adjust it to much or it wll break the plastic arm that moves the shell plate.Ask me how I know that.

Schultz

Thanks. I think I'll just take the entire primer system off and see if that changes anything. I hadn't thought of any possible primer assembly causes.

Part #23 on page 50 of the manual is what had caught a spent primer or two and caused me issues in the past. You don't have to take anything apart to get to it, just raise the ram.

I can definitely see how it happened. I often tighten the shell plate bolt down until there is resistance in indexing, and then back it off. Of course, each time I do that, I'm probably weakening the indexer. Maybe I should subscribe to monthly deliveries of them.

Snug the shell plate down until you cannot rotate it with your finger. Back it off about an eighth of a turn and tighten the set screw on the left side of the ram. Try rotating it again and check for plate wobble. Adjust again if the shell plate drags or wobbles.

Pat

Ah, the ole ring indexer! A well known catastrophic breakage. Depending on how fashion minded you are, the ring can come in two colors: creme and black. If I recall, in order to snap a ring indexer, you gotta pull the handle pretty hard.

Dog

Ah, the ole ring indexer! A well known catastrophic breakage. Depending on how fashion minded you are, the ring can come in two colors: creme and black. If I recall, in order to snap a ring indexer, you gotta pull the handle pretty hard.

Dog

Yes, or get one of those primers that the top comes partly off, but the rest stays in the case. I had it happen a couple of times and just horsed it, unfortunately the third time it broke the indexer into three pieces.

I have to order a couple since I used up my spare. I am too embarrassed to even ask if it is a warranty issue.

Jay

I've had 3 of these break. I attribute these failures to using the EGW Undersized dies. These dies work great but the powder drop and belling die requires a very large force on the upstroke. I started using case lube and that has helped significantly.