Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading 6.8Spl

JimmyZip

I just picked up two rifles in 6.8 that I planned to use for 3gun until I can purchase an upper for .556/.223. What are your experiences with the cartridge, and the intricacies of reloading it. Is it ballistically good for our game, and what bullet weights and types are the most effective for competition. Another question I have is what powders do you find are best for this cartridge.

Many thanks for your input.

JZ

It is an excellent cartridge for things that bleed inside of 300yds. No great advantages for the 3 gun game but it hits on steel or easily determined. I would hate to leave good 6.8 brass on the range at a 3 gun match. My friend placed in top 3 at CMMG a couple of years in heavy optic using 6.8spc until rules changed to not allow 6.8spc in that division. Hits can be made to 400yds but bullet really starts to drop out at that range and slow down.

I haven't reloaded for mine yet but my shooter friend has and had great results. Sierra 110gr Pro Hunter are good on game and targets. My gun also likes 110gr Hornady Vmax but some barrels don't. Good bullets down to 85gr are available but would be expensive to throw in a shooting match. Bullets larger than 110gr are used by folks who can use suppressor.

Lots of powder choices 10X, H322, and H335 along with many others will work fine. Good powders for 223 will generally work for the 6.8. Your load/powder choice will depend a little on your barrel chamber and twist rate.

Lots of great loading and 6.8 information on the 6.8 Forums.

It is an excellent cartridge for things that bleed inside of 300yds. No great advantages for the 3 gun game but it hits on steel or easily determined. I would hate to leave good 6.8 brass on the range at a 3 gun match. My friend placed in top 3 at CMMG a couple of years in heavy optic using 6.8spc until rules changed to not allow 6.8spc in that division. Hits can be made to 400yds but bullet really starts to drop out at that range and slow down.

I haven't reloaded for mine yet but my shooter friend has and had great results. Sierra 110gr Pro Hunter are good on game and targets. My gun also likes 110gr Hornady Vmax but some barrels don't. Good bullets down to 85gr are available but would be expensive to throw in a shooting match. Bullets larger than 110gr are used by folks who can use suppressor.

Lots of powder choices 10X, H322, and H335 along with many others will work fine. Good powders for 223 will generally work for the 6.8. Your load/powder choice will depend a little on your barrel chamber and twist rate.

Lots of great loading and 6.8 information on the 6.8 Forums.

+1. 6.8 is less than ideal for 3 gun, but workable if you're willing to accept its shortfalls (mainly $$). My 6.8 shot really well with Reloder 10x. If I was using it for 3 gun I'd probably go with the Hornady 110gr HPBT since they are among the cheapest .270 bullets and have decent ballistics. Another option would be the 90gr Speer TNT.

Been loading for the 6.8 for a while. When in stock, the Remington 115gr FMJ's have worked well for me, with my accuracy in a few carbine classes being up there with the professionals. Too bad they are a seasonal run. Ramshot Xterminator is my primary powder, but most ball .223 powders do work well for it. Lots of good data for at 6.8 forums as others have mentioned.

I also got my hands on a few thousand belmished .277 130 grain pointed soft points at Midway a few years back. Turns out they were Hornady interlock softpoints, but they were super cheap, $157/1,000. I use those when I'm out of the 115gr FMJ's, but I have a few thousand of those so I should be good for a bit.

Picked up 1,000 once fired from LWRC. Federal brass, crimped primers. A little dirty but it cleaned up well. They still have some from time to time, check their website.