Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Uspsa and 3 Gun events in Austin/San Antonio area?

There's a good chance I will be moving to Texas in 2014...

I'm wondering what type of action is available in the Austin and San Antonio areas...

Thanks in advanced guys :)

Edited by carlosa

Thanks In seeing one Uspsa match on the first Sunday and one 3 gun match on the 3rd Sunday.

Is this all the action available in the area?

I'm used to being able to shoot matches every Saturday and Sunday of the month here in So Cal.

Is it possible to do the same in the Austin San Antonio area?

I don't mind driving an hour or so to catch a match...

How about any week day matches?? Steel or indoor?

Edited by carlosa

There are multiple clubs within an hour drive.

Bullet Hole Practical Shooters (Bullet Hole Range)

River City Shooters (Blackhawk Range)

Alpha Mike Shooters (Cedar Ridge Range)

Austin Lone Star Practical Pistol Club (Austin Rifle Club)

If you can drive a little farther:

Best of the West - Liberty Hill

Coastal Bend Shooters - Corpus Christi

Central Texas Practical Shooters - Waco

Lots of activities for the practical shooter.

Rumor is that Temple Gun Club will start having USPSA matches on the 3d Sunday, and that Fayette County Gun Club may start up a 2d Sunday USPSA match later in the spring. From Austin, that would give you 1st Saturday at ALSPPC at the Austin Rifle Club, 2d Sunday in La Grange, 3d Saturday in Waco, 3d Sunday in Temple. Alpha Mike has USPSA 3d Sunday in Bulverde at Cedar Ridge. River City puts on a good match 4th Sunday south of San Antonio, but it's a pretty long drive from Austin for a level I match. There's a good USPSA match 4th Sunday at Impact Zone in Hempstead, but that's even further.

Copperas Cove has a fun all-falling-steel match 2d Saturday, IDPA on the 1st Saturday, and 3 gun on the 4th Saturday. Texas Tactical usually has 2 IDPA matches and a carbine match at ARC each month. Waco and Temple also have Steel challenge each month. There's an IDPA match 2d Sunday at Best of the West, and a 3 gun at BOTW on the 4th Saturday. Texas Tactical has 2 IDPA and a carbine each month at Cedar Ridge in Bulverde.

There are a couple more 3 gun or precision rifle in the area, but I haven't been to any of them.

I apologize if I've forgetten anybody.

Rumor is that Temple Gun Club will start having USPSA matches on the 3d Sunday, and that Fayette County Gun Club may start up a 2d Sunday USPSA match later in the spring. From Austin, that would give you 1st Saturday at ALSPPC at the Austin Rifle Club, 2d Sunday in La Grange, 3d Saturday in Waco, 3d Sunday in Temple. Alpha Mike has USPSA 3d Sunday in Bulverde at Cedar Ridge. River City puts on a good match 4th Sunday south of San Antonio, but it's a pretty long drive from Austin for a level I match. There's a good USPSA match 4th Sunday at Impact Zone in Hempstead, but that's even further.

Copperas Cove has a fun all-falling-steel match 2d Saturday, IDPA on the 1st Saturday, and 3 gun on the 4th Saturday. Texas Tactical usually has 2 IDPA matches and a carbine match at ARC each month. Waco and Temple also have Steel challenge each month. There's an IDPA match 2d Sunday at Best of the West, and a 3 gun at BOTW on the 4th Saturday. Texas Tactical has 2 IDPA and a carbine each month at Cedar Ridge in Bulverde.

There are a couple more 3 gun or precision rifle in the area, but I haven't been to any of them.

I apologize if I've forgetten anybody.

This is fantastic, it puts my mind greatly at ease :)

I will miss my shooting family from so cal very much, but it seems you guys have a strong and healthy shooting community down there, I can't wait to check it out 8D

• 2 months later...

Temple did switch their 3rd Sunday IDPA match to USPSA, and it's been awesome. Austin is pretty heavy on IDPA clubs in the area (copperas cove, capital area practical shooters in liberty hill, temple, etc.), but all the clubs I mentioned put on really good matches. There's been some growth in USPSA though with ALSPPC and the fact that Temple started doing it. San Antonio is more of a USPSA town in general, but if you're not too picky about what you shoot, there are matches all the time.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.txipsc.net has a clickable map with ranges and match schedules as well as the area e-mail list.

Bulverde is not too far from San Marcos. Rumor has it there's some sort of long range silhouette or Schutzen club around there. Probably some SASS too. Thats big around here as well.