Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clean primer pocket?

tenchu74

I've been reloading for a while now on a Lee Turret press. I've been cleaning the primer pocket after I size and punch out the primer. I was thinking about progressive presses and it dawned on me that most people who use them probably don't clean the pocket cuz they would have to take the shell out of rotation and slow down the process.

Is cleaning the primer pocket necessary? Who does it or doesn't do it?

Thanks

I do on everything, however, I stainless pin everything and deprime it prior to that operation. I know a number of people who have never cleaned a primer pocket on anything and evidently most of their stuff goes bang with some degree of regularity.

Since the de-priming operation pretty much cleans out the hole the primer fires through, I have never cleaned the primer pockets of any pistol round, and I must admit, few of those on rifle rounds though I shoot rifle infrequently and not for score. I have never had a failure to fire due to some obstruction in the pistol case many of which were reloaded more than 10 times.

I de-prime all of my brass before I tumble it. I started doing that when I bought some .45 ACP brass and it was a mixture of large and small primer pockets and I was having a hard time visually telling the difference with the primer still in the brass. Now when I come home from the range I run all of the brass through a Lee single stage press using the universal de-capping die. It only takes a few minutes and it allows the primer area to be cleaned during tumbling. The media I use is fine enough that it doesn't get stuck in the pocket during tumbling.

I don't sort by head stamp, clean primer pockets, or trim pistol brass. I clean and uniform primer pockets and trim to length rifle brass. It works fine for my applications with 5.56. If I were shooting precision rifle games I'd likely do more.

When wet cleaning I tend to do it. I have noticed that If I use the S/S media sometimes I have a hard time getting the primer pockets dry.

spread your brass on a cookie sheet .. put them in your oven for 20 minutes on low..

All I do after stainless pinning is rinse the brass and pins, seperate and then dump brass on old bath towel and shake back and forth for 30/45 seconds and into the tumbler with fine walnut hull and Nu-Finish. Generally just seperating the pins from the brass gets a considerable amount of the water out of the brass.