Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G17 light strikes primers or springs

Quag

Removing it sounds like a horrible idea to me. Not only would it clearly disbar me from production division but it would also quite possibly make me a star someday.

Then don't do it, but I shoot revos so I always make a habit of not putting my finger on the trigger until I want to shoot. It may be illegal in a given division, but it's no more "dangerous" than a revo. I just got sick of the light strike problem and screwing around with the gun. I haven't shot it in a while, I should put the stock parts back in and dump it.

My point was that if the end of the striker is showing impact damage, it's hittiing the firing pin safety plunger and there are a number of reasons for that..... but the light strikes will probably not get resolved until they are fixed.

"I'm pretty sure the striker was damaged by striking debris in the channel other than the plunger"

I'm not sure what debris could get into the striker channel that's hard enough to put dents in a steel striker?

Anyway, as an experiment, you could remove the plunger and see if the light striikes go away. If they do, you have the problem isolated.

You can also ink the striker tip with a black sharpie and dry fire and look for contact areas.

Edited by bountyhunter

was at the range today with my G17 4lb striker spring aftermarket trigger. Ttied to do a bunch of drills. I could not get through 9 rounds in a drill without a light stike (reloaded ammo). I cannot wait for that extended stiker to arrive. Shot the same ammo with my production walther P99QA not a single light stike in 2 10 rd mags.

However the trigger pull on the G17 was so much sweeter than the Walther, I hope I get it work.

I got my Zev Extended striker, I took my caliper to it and it does not seem very extended vs the stock striker but the striker tip appears to have wider shoulders and is not as pointed as the stock. Anyone notice this.

Thx

I got my Zev Extended striker, I took my caliper to it and it does not seem very extended vs the stock striker but the striker tip appears to have wider shoulders and is not as pointed as the stock. Anyone notice this.

Thx

I have not measured it, but it does not surprise me. There really is no advantage in making the tip longer, getting better striking occurs because the lower striker mass delivers more energy due to higher velocity. Changing the tip shape may improve it since it is trying to dimple the primer and not pierce it?

The striker is going to stop forward motion when stopped by the round it hits.

Edited by bountyhunter

In firearms only a few thousands count. It is like the HyperDrive FP from Dawson Precision. Having it lighter does make it move faster but kenetic energy would be higher on the heavier one.

Nope. It's energy transfer which is 1/2 mass (velocity) squared. Increasing mass gives a linear return in energy, increasing velocity gives the return squared.

Every "improved ignition" hammer, firing pin, or striker exploits reduced mass to increase strike energy.

There was an extensive thread where somebody here developed a low mass hammer for SW revolvers that allowed reducing the hammer spring by about 70%.

http://www.davidtubb.com/davidtubb/content/graphics/pdfs/DT_firing_pin_impact_studies.pdf

After sear break (and still neglecting friction), the

total kinetic energy KE imparted to the striker dur-

ing its fall is:

KE = (1/2)*m*V2

where

m is the effective mass of the striker and

V is the terminal velocity of the striker

Edited by bountyhunter

I installed my new Zev "extended tip" striker in my G17 that is modified with a drop in trigger group and a 4lb striker spring. I did some chrono tests today with the G17 and put aorund 50 rounds through it of various reloaded ammo. All of the ammo has winchester SP mag primers. I had no light strikes. so I may have solved my problem. But I'll really see Monday when I put a 150 rounds thru it at a IDPA practice.

• 2 weeks later...

I installed my new Zev "extended tip" striker in my G17 that is modified with a drop in trigger group and a 4lb striker spring. I did some chrono tests today with the G17 and put aorund 50 rounds through it of various reloaded ammo. All of the ammo has winchester SP mag primers. I had no light strikes. so I may have solved my problem. But I'll really see Monday when I put a 150 rounds thru it at a IDPA practice.

I would experiment with 2 other striker springs.

Wolf sells them in 1/2 increments and they are only a few dollars each. You could get a 4.5 lb and a 5.0 lb ( the stock glock spring is 5.5 lb)