Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advice from a GM

David Benzick

Sue and I were spending our President's day at the range where we ran into a local GM.  After some small talk the discussion turned to shooting.  He asked me what one thing I felt was holding me back from better performance.  He then proceeded to offer me fifteen minutes of advise, mostly pertaining to mental conditioning and practicing efficiently.  His advise paid off during the second half of my practice session and I look forward to a solid performance at my next match.

Thank you Bruce.

Have you ever noticed how the "real" GMs are usually very helpful and bend over backwards to help people, while Masters (usually "paper" Masters) are to busy trying to become a GM to help anyone but themselves?  Hmmm.....

I've noticed this too-- and though I used to be irritated by it, I think I'm starting to see what's going on (as I get closer to 'M'-- really, I'm trying to stay helpful )

There are clearly personality differences between individuals (and many exceptions), but I think a lot of it has to do with confidence and knowing what you can do.

The M's are sitting there going "Then I'm going to put my foot just <I>here</I>, then a half-pivot to <i>there</i>.. and if I make this shot from here, I can beat ... he's only 3 match points up.. " and variously doing a lot of thinking and trying (especially trying not to look bad).   The GM's just know what they can do and don't have to deal with all that anymore, so they have time to relax and be helpful.

(Edited by shred at 10:24 am on Feb. 21, 2002)

Now hold on there !  

Somehow this thread went from "how helpful GM's are" to "how awful Masters are"

As a Master, I resent that!

I believe I'm helpful to anyone (I actually ASK to be squadded with any new shooters... just so I can hook 'em into our sport!!) and the other few Masters around here are also very helpful.  In fact, I've not seen anyone ever ignore other shooters / not offer advice, etc. out of being "too busy trying to make GM."

Ouch, that one hurts!  I'm gettin' closer to making GM every day, but I'll be the first to offer stage advice, etc.

Actually, I'm usually fighting to not say anything, out of fear the other person really doesn't want or care about my opinions.

BTW, I'm not a "paper" Master!

Could this just be people (the M shooters you know) being a bit scared to reach out?  Or not really feeling comfortable talking to shooters they don't know well??  

Let's please not start degrading other shooters or this great forum (God forbid!) could turn into the IPSC mailing list part deux.

Bret

I can think of at least one Master class shooter who asks me at every match (if we're on the same squad) if I'm willing to listen to bits of advice.  My answer is always that I'm happy to hear it ---- but I may or may not use it.  I really appreciate the effort that all those shooters GM-D make, who notice you do something more or less boneheaded and have a way to fix it.  Bottom line, I only saw my performance, I didn't get to watch me perform.  There's sometimes a world of difference there...  

I've encountered both types of Masters. Luckily, I've had the extreme fortune of meeting more masters that are like you. They're the first to offer advice if you want it. And they're also some of the best at helping out new shooters.

I've also had the misfortune of dealing with the egotistical types too. They're so wrapped up in themselves that they rarely have time to bother with the little people. Luckily, they are in the minority.

I have found that the true masters are far more helpful than so-called paper masters. Maybe that's because grandbagging is somewhat of an egotistical thing. Maybe it's because they don't really know "how" they shot those scores. They just re-shot classifiers until they got lucky.

At the local match level, I think the "personality" of the club has a lot to do with it. Some are just more friendly than others.

Bret - So far your posts have been very informative. Thanks for posting.

Brett, I really didn't mean to lump all masters in one bucket, my comments may hit home for those that they apply to.... for everyone else, I apologize, and didn't mean offense.

I also have had Ms or GMs that went out of their way to lend a hand, offer advice, etc... I had a pretty large number of Master shooters at my home club, but some of them soured me a little, I forget to easily the ones who did help.

My comments were aimed at the exception, not the majority I'm sure, and weren't appropriatte for this forum, sorry.  ;)

Shooter40,

you said: "I had a pretty large number of Master shooters at my home club, but some of them soured me a little, I forget to easily the ones who did help."

I find that I'm just the opposite. I forget the ones who didn't.......

No problem - It just struck a nerve because I try my hardest to be welcoming and helpful to people.  I have also taught ISPC at my local club, and while I'm no Todd, Brian, Rob or Jerry, I can pass on quite a bit of knowledge.  So, it just hurts when I hear about any shooters regardless of classification souring others on this great sport.  

Don't let those people get you down (which, it doesn't sound like it) on the rest of us "good guys" in the sport was really my point, I guess.  

Bret

Geez, it seems everywhere I turn we are talking about a "paper" something.  LOL  Anyways.....

I think a lot has to do with personality and confidence.  I have tried to help other shooters and at times have been shunned away.  Some people come up and ask for advice while some D-C class shooters think they know it all (I am not knocking those classes, used just as an example).  Some people I know I can tell them anything and they will listen, some you have to prove to them your point, some could care less.  One of the best tips I ever got from a GM came at the expense of humiliating me.  But I got the point, he knew I would listen.

This wheel rolls both ways.  There are definitely shooters (regardless of class) who will not help another shooter; there are those who "help" whether asked to or not; as well as several variations in between.  I'm no GM, but like everyone else regardless of class, I have had plenty of opportunities to provide help and assistance.  But I will confess that I never offer help without being asked to do so by the shooter.  This may be by standing agreement with people I regularly shoot with, or after the fact on a per stage or per match basis.   Regardless of good intentions and a polite approach, there are some people who view advice that's not asked for as someone just "stroking their ego".  I ain't gonna take that chance.  If asked, I will provide as much help as possible, and will enjoy doing so.   I enjoy being able, when possible, to provide assistance that will shorten a shooters learning curve; because I'm convinced at a certain point, beyond proper technique, everyone's on their own anyway.  With the exception of those who are naturally gifted, there is no silver bullet or quick fix.  It is only through dedication and hard work that a shooter advances to the upper echelons.

• 4 weeks later...

PaulW knows what he is talking about. He has been a great help to me on a couple of occassions and he comes across as someone that wants to help and not just someone that wants to show you how much they know. I only hope that he hasn't mistaken me absorbing the information with disconcern. I need all the help that I can get.