Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

muzzle dipping down after I shoot

On Friday I ripped through about 100 rounds with my G35 only concentrating on improving my grip. Strangely enough I think I got a little better. However I've noticed that if I only look to see what the gun is doing after the shot instead of concentrating on the target, I notice that I shoot, it flips back, snaps back like it ought to, but then it keeps going a bit and dips down below the target. Is this normal? Is this a technique thing or something that slide lightening is supposed to help?

I am no expert but you may be to firm on your strong hand and not strong enough on support hand. You could be gripping to tight with strong hand trying to manage recoil a little to much and forcing the muzzle down upon slide return. Just my 2 cents.

I've been tuning a g17 gen2 for my father lately. It's a learning experience for sure, the glock is such a strange little mechanical wonder, so simple yet so complex at the same time.

We just tried a stainless captured recoil rod and reduced recoil spring assembly paired with a reduced striker spring and SS Zev v4 striker. First thing pops noticed was the change in how the gun tracked through recoil. We tried various ammo and with the stock springs the difference between 115 and 124 was not very large. Now with the reduced setup the difference is VERY noticeable.

I don't own a 35 but sounds like you could benefit from maybe a different bullet weight vs. recoil weight combo?

Do you have your weak hand index finger on the front of the trigger guard? It's been my experience that the end result is the muzzle dipping on the second shot.

No, I don't do that.

What's interesting is that it's kind of in slow motion so it's probably me. I just don't know what to do about it. The dipping down isn't a violent dip at the same speed that it flipped back up as nor does it actually point downwards, so I actually misstated the title of this thread. It's only pointing LOW, not down. It snaps back quickly, snaps forward quickly, immediately followed by a relatively slow dip that pulls the entire gun down along with my arms as if there's was a big puff of wind blowing down on it. I don't know what I'm doing that would cause this. I actually have the snapping somewhat under control in which I am happy about but I never expected for it to do this. I figure either the forward motion of the slide is causing it to dip, but since my wrists are locked, it's transferring that energy to my arms, or I'm actually fighting the recoil and pushing forward when it snaps back, causing my arms to dip after it snaps back in place.