Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P30L slide lock

Ghorsley

When my P30 goes to slide lock I can pop another mag in and it goes to full battery. I know when shooting USPSA you are not ever supposed to go to slide lock because it's supposed to be slower. Is it really slower if you can go from slide lock to battery by just popping in a fresh mag? Also is my HK designed to do this?

Thanks, Gil Horsley

1) sometimes you should go to slide lock in USPSA. It may not have been your intended plan but it beats a standing reload if you can get that last shot off and finish out the stage or reload on the move

2) I've seen no evidence that the P30, or any other pistol for that matter, was designed to drop the slide while inserting a magazine.

3) relying on such an "auto forward" is probably not the wisest choice. I have two regular P30s and two P30Ls. The slide stops on these guns are so generous that it doesn't take much time to trip the stop as soon as the mag is seated. Much more consistent and reliable this way.

• 9 months later...

My P30S goes into battery from slide lock when I slap the magazine in. If I am wimpy about it, the slide will stay locked open.

Also I've noticed if the gun is really dirty (like 1,500 rounds between cleaning) the slide will often stay locked open in a magazine change. But it continues to perform just fine. I don't normally let it go so long between cleanings, but I got kinda busy with other stuff and hey, it is good to know how the gun will behave under a variety of conditions, yes?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The choice as to whether go to slide lock or not is stage related, so I don't think a general statement is in order. In IPDA I am used to the P30 in the past and now the VP9 slam shut when I insert a magazine with some zeal. Very nice feature to have.

• 1 year later...