Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2014 Brownells Rockcastle Pro Am 3 Gun Championship

• Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zukeep, I'm trying to PM you, but I keep getting an "array" error...

I'm sorry that I just dumped that on everyone who is subscribed to this thread.

Edited by wgj3

Stages are on page 16 of this thread.

Has anybody counted up the exact targets/ammo needed?

Pro stages ( based on one shot per steel and 2 on paper ) the MAXIMUM I am coming up with per gun is:

Pistol 217

Rifle 124

Shot 106

Buck 3

Slug 7

Yeah, that is before the occasional makeup shot or miss. The total round count is actually less given that most stages have either/or option on which gun you can use.

Amateur match round counts (2 per paper, 1 per steel, any targets that are shooters choice counted in both)

180 pistol

84 rifle

92 shot

3 buckshot

6 slugs

I am looking for any info on the rimfire 2 gun match on AUG 20 and 21. Haven't seen anything on it since I signed up. Is it even still happening?!?!?!

Same here...I've contacted them multiple times and nothing.

We are still planning on shooting the Rimfire Multi Gun match at Rockcastle. The match will be 8 stages, probably around 350 rounds max. Nobody will be viewing the stages prior to walk through. We will have the basic rules and stage description upon sign-in, which starts at 7am the morning of Wednesday August 20th. The stages will be built from the 3 Gun Nation stages that are currently being shot at Rockcastle, and there was not a preview of those stages so stage design won't actually be completed until Monday. The basics are as follows:
You will start each stage with one firearm at low ready, using the same firearm through a portion of the stage, discard it in a dump box, and pick up the second firearm to finish the stage.
The match will be shot with 22LR rifle and pistol. There are provided guns on each stage for those who do not bring their own. You can bring your own to shoot the match.
There are two categories, Iron Sights or Scoped Rifle. Red dots and other sights will be counted as "Scoped."
Competitors will bring their own ammo, or purchase on site.
The only way the match will be cancelled is if the shipment of 22LR does not come in, but we are confident we will get it.
The match can be shot in one day, but most will shoot it over two days. The match will be held on Wednesday and Thursday.

I am looking for any info on the rimfire 2 gun match on AUG 20 and 21. Haven't seen anything on it since I signed up. Is it even still happening?!?!?!

Same here...I've contacted them multiple times and nothing.

We are still planning on shooting the Rimfire Multi Gun match at Rockcastle. The match will be 8 stages, probably around 350 rounds max. Nobody will be viewing the stages prior to walk through. We will have the basic rules and stage description upon sign-in, which starts at 7am the morning of Wednesday August 20th. The stages will be built from the 3 Gun Nation stages that are currently being shot at Rockcastle, and there was not a preview of those stages so stage design won't actually be completed until Monday. The basics are as follows:
You will start each stage with one firearm at low ready, using the same firearm through a portion of the stage, discard it in a dump box, and pick up the second firearm to finish the stage.
The match will be shot with 22LR rifle and pistol. There are provided guns on each stage for those who do not bring their own. You can bring your own to shoot the match.
There are two categories, Iron Sights or Scoped Rifle. Red dots and other sights will be counted as "Scoped."
Competitors will bring their own ammo, or purchase on site.
The only way the match will be cancelled is if the shipment of 22LR does not come in, but we are confident we will get it.
The match can be shot in one day, but most will shoot it over two days. The match will be held on Wednesday and Thursday.

FUN!!!! Can't wait...

I have watched several of the videos from 3GN Pro event, and it looked like a TON of fun, and SUPER soupy/muddy. Are the Proam stages going to be in the same mud holes as the 3GN Stages? In the same thread, I know for last year some of the stages were accessible by unimproved trails, is that the same case this year? How bad are those trails right now after all of this weekends traffic?

Thanks!

I have watched several of the videos from 3GN Pro event, and it looked like a TON of fun, and SUPER soupy/muddy. Are the Proam stages going to be in the same mud holes as the 3GN Stages? In the same thread, I know for last year some of the stages were accessible by unimproved trails, is that the same case this year? How bad are those trails right now after all of this weekends traffic?

Could you post a link to a video?

Thanks!

This is a mostly natural terrain match. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. Rain gear, multiple pairs of boots, extra socks are your friend.

As far as bad weather matches go, the weather at the 3GN match wasn't that bad compared to some I've shot.

Edited by Bryan 45

Looks like 94 degrees and almost 70% humidity for the match days.

Any tips for beating the heat other than wearing sun block and staying hydrated? I'm not used to the hot weather like you southern boys. I can't recall the last time it was 94 here.

Looks like 94 degrees and almost 70% humidity for the match days.

Any tips for beating the heat other than wearing sun block and staying hydrated? I'm not used to the hot weather like you southern boys. I can't recall the last time it was 94 here.

Eat bananas, stretch, find a magical way to keep your glasses from fogging up..... I like to have a couple bananas with breakfast and snag 1-2 more for the cooler from the hotel buffet to have later in the day. I also like to drink 2 waters to each G2 Gatorade while having salted peanuts or trailmix. You're losing more than water when you sweat after all.

Start drinking hydrating early, like on Wednesday and Thursday and continue throughout each day. Stay in the shade except when shooting and reseting targets.

96 is warm, but nothing like that 107 degree shotgun match a few years ago

1408391283_zps1ddd2ef4.png

Edited by GunCat

Drinking a few gallons of beer at the after party each night works for keeping most of us cool the next day.

I'm considering bringing a bunch of money with me to buy Jesse and several other select shooters all the booze they can drink. I learned about the strategy from Lawrence Taylor.

I don't want to de-rail, but I know this thread will be watched closely over the next few days.

I took my shotgun out tonight to re-check where my slugs and buckshot hit.

I shot a five shot group with the slugs, no problems.

I loaded five buckshot, and I fired the first round. The action cycled to the rear but the shell didn't get ejected. The bolt wasn't completely back (about 90%) and the next shell was on the lifter. I had to extract the fired shell by hand (fingernail) and then the next shell fed. This happened with the next three shells.

I then decided to run a few birdshot to see if they would hiccup. I loaded five shells and they ran fine.

I went back to the slugs and loaded three rounds. They ran fine.

I loaded three more buckshot, and low and behold they ran fine.

I'm really confused as to why I had the malfunctions, any ideas? The gun is admittedly dirty, you think a good cleaning will solve my problems? Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Ammo used:

Winchester AA #8 birdshot

Fiocchi 1oz Slugs

Federal LE 9 pellet 00 Buck (Flight Control wad)

Thanks for any help!

-Chase