Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Johnson 3-Gun at the NRA Whittington Center 2014

As the 2013 season draws to an end...

Johnson 3-Gun continues it's "local" or "club" matches at the NRA Whittington Center.

The plan for this year:

March 22-23 Skills Matches - This will be a warm-up, knock off the cobwebs type match. It's the weekend before both Superstition and Task Force Dagger.

New plan for this year: It's two days, each a separate match. Saturday, will be around 16 quick stages stressing skills needed for a big match. We will have rifle out to 400 yards or so. On Sunday, the match will be the more typical 4 stages combining the skills from Saturday into 4 stages. Come to one or both. They will be scored separately!

April 12, 13 - RO Clinic with match. Saturday will be our 3rd annual RO clinic. This clinic is a good refresher for anyone wanting to serve as a 3-Gun RO, but it focuses on Natural Terrain matches. We will be working under RM3G rules, but it covers many of the RO skills talked about here on Enos. There will be a little bit of shooting on Saturday and then a full Johnson 3-Gun match on Sunday.

On Saturday, we will cover scoping out a stage (as an RO), looking for RO traps, dealing with the natural terrain for 180 and safety as well as RO repairs and supplies, RO equipment and preparedness. Since RO's at a natural terrain match implies more responsibility, we will spend some time looking at that as well. Since RM3G is a World Shoot this year, we will also be looking at strategies to work with shooters that are new to this type of match. The Sunday match will be open to everyone and you can just come on out to shoot! There may be some previews of the He-Man match May 10-11.

May 31 - Local match.

June 28,29 - We haven't decided which day yet, but it may have some previews of JP RM3G.

Sept 14 - Last scheduled match.

http://home.earthlink.net/~johnson3gun/

One day match is $30 and we start the safety briefing at 0900. Newbie briefing 0830.

Skills match $50 for both days or $30 each.

RO Clinic $50 both days or $30 each.

We usually meet at the pistol berms, but there will be a sign at the front gate.

Hope to see you there!

Denise

Edited by Benelli Chick

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are several excellent matches along the front range. I mean really top notch local events. This is my favorite and I rarely miss it. If you bring a room mate, competitor housing is cheap and right on the Whittington Center. You can get up at dawn to see pronghorn walking by the cabin and turkeys and elks too. Great match at the best range in the west.

• 1 month later...

As all of you are getting ready for either Task Force Dagger or Superstition...

Just wanted to remind you about our Skills/knock the cobwebs off your guns and your brains match!!!!

March 22 and 23 is our Johnson 3-Gun skills weekend!

We meet at the NRA Whittington Center. For this match, sign-up will be by the shed in the pistol berms. There will be a sign at the gate with directions!

On Saturday, March 22 - we will have 16 short skills stages. 4 on pistol - long and short range, speed, accuracy, target acquisition. 4 on rifle - long, close, speed, accuracy, awkward positions with long range out to 350-400 yards. Shotgun - loading, slugs, flying birds, speed. 4 mixed - rifle on clays, speed and transitions.

On Sunday, March 23 - we will combine the pieces for 4 more typical stages, combining the basic skills. Targets will be in the same places, so you can apply what you figured out Saturday in a more traditional 3-Gun format!

You can attend one day or both. One day will be $30, both days $50.

If you email me at johnson3gun@earthlink.net or heman3gun@yahoo.com and let me know you plan to come, I can add you to our email list and keep you informed on any weather issues!

Hope to see you at the range!

:wub: Denise

Forgot website: http://home.earthlink.net/~johnson3gun/

Edited by Benelli Chick

• 2 weeks later...

Just found out, there should be dinner sold in the Shotgun dining room both nights that weekend, and it's possible that the trailer will be set-up for breakfast and lunch as well.

I'll let you know as I find out more!

So, you should be able to get some good food at the range! :goof:

See you there!

• 2 weeks later...

I just got an email asking some questions about our skills weekend - March 22, 23 - and I thought more than that person might have similar questions if you haven't been out to shoot with us before!

B1. I have shot on several of the ranges at WC but am not familiar with where the 3Gun berms are located. Exactly, how do you get there by car? When you come in the gate and sign in, there will be a map, but we meet at the pistol berms. Go straight up to the main East/West road,turn left and it's 2nd from the last on the right!
B2. Is there a parking area very close to the berms so that one can easily gear up and walk to a berm to shoot (like at the CRC East Berms) or does one need a cart or a wagon to carry gear, food, water, etc. to the berms?
For our skills weekend, we will have 3 stages in the berms and one out at unknown distance which will be for long rifle.
Yes, you can park close. You will be travelling a ways by car to get to one of the stages skills weekend. Our long rifle is a a ways a way! But, you will be pretty close to that stage once you move your car! :-)
B3. Are there any sun or weather shelters at the berms or are the berms just wide open to the elements?
Berms are open to the elements. We don't put shelters up for locals. We don't have a big enough set-up crew.
B4. Are there toilets readily available at or near the berms? There will be porta-pottys set up near the berms and the long range stage!
Ammo/Round Count - How much ammo do we need to bring for the two days?
A1. Pistol? - 120ish
A2. Rifle? - 140ish
A3. Shotgun: Birdshot? Buck Shot? Siugs? probably 100 birdshot, 0 buckshot, 10-15 slugs
Bring EXTRA!!! :devil:
Food and Beverages
F1. Does each person need to bring their own food, water or other beverages to the berms because none is available nearby? There should be water available near the berms and long range stage in one of those coolers. There is no food out by where we shoot, but there should be dinner available at night in the Shotgun Center so you won't have to drive to town. There may be a lunch trailer somewhere at Whittington, but you should probably bring your own lunch and non-water beverages as well as a water bottle!
Lodging
L1. Are there any motels in Raton that you would recommend? I would drive to Raton on Friday, and stay Friday and Saturday night. Check www.rm3g.com. There is a list of hotels in Raton. Whittington also has some housing. Call 575-445-3615 to make reservations. Check out: http://www.nrawc.org/camping/index.html for room descriptions!
Squading
S1. How will you determine the squadding? We let you guys/gals pick who you want to shoot with. We usually pick a squad leader for each squad and then you just divide yourselves!
Look forward to seeing you all out later this month. Sign-up starts between 0800-0830. Newbie briefing at 0830. Shooter's briefing starts right at 0900 so we can get shooting! $30 for just one day! $50 for both days if you sign up for both on Saturday! Again, 16 short, skills practice stages on Saturday and then 4 stages combining Saturday's skills on Sunday! Rifle out to about 300 yards!
Feel free to ask any other questions. heman3gun@yahoo.com or johnson3gun@earthlink.net
Edited to add: Oh yeah! Some of us are using this as a warm-up for Superstition, but we will NOT be having you shoot upside down. you will have to practice that on your own! :surprise:
Edited by Benelli Chick

• 2 weeks later...

Next weekend, we're on! Stay tuned here for any weather related information. If you're on our email list, we will send out anything there as well. You just never know...March in Raton...can be special!

We'll be down there early setting up, so if anyone arrives Friday, let us know and maybe we can put you to work...just a little! :devil:

Saturday - 16 short stages - skills oriented

Sunday - 4 stages - combining skills

I've got a number of people who have told me they're coming. Feel free to let me know at rm3gun@yahoo.com. I want to be sure I have enough special scoresheets!

See you there!

Just got a call from Whittington Food Service.

They will have Breakfast 0730, Lunch noonish, Dinner 1730-1930 on Friday, Saturday.

Breakfast and Lunch on Sunday.

Should be time for you to get a good breakfast before heading to the berms.

They call themselves Gunslinger II and they serve in the Shotgun building!

Breakfast is a buffet, same with Lunch. Dinner has a salad bar and a number of choices for entrees.

Tax and drink is all included in price!

WOW! That was a fun weekend for me! We had a huge turnout for us and the weather worked out great!

LOT's of New Shooters!

Thanks so much for all your hard work! Saturday was long with 16 stages, but today went a LOT quicker!

Results are all up at: http://home.earthlink.net/~johnson3gun/

Thanks so much to the experienced shooters that worked so hard! Everyone looks pretty tired!!! :bow:

Saturday, April 12 is our Natural Terrain RO clinic. Followed on Sunday by our Johnson 3-Gun match! 4 stages - all natural terrain - maybe a little preview for He-Man! :ph34r:

Thanks again to everyone! Hope you all had fun!