Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide-Glide

sigwolf

slide..barrel..FLGR, etc.

I usually apply to the rails of the slide, the lower lugs and barrel link and the top lugs of the barrel..also along the guide rod and recoil spring, barrel outside of the barrel if has a bushing.

That's what I thought and that's where I've been applying it. I assume then "top end" refers to the slide and associated parts like the barrel and guide rod, bushing, recoil spring, as opposed to the lower part meaning the frame and associated parts.

Thanks.

sigwolf,

Thanks for posting that. I was trying to cram a lot of info into a little space... maybe next time I do a reprint on the propaganda sheet I'll add some more details.

Anything that comes off with the slide is the "top end."

be

The only part you NEVER lube in the top end is the firing pin or the firing pin channel.

Interesting. HK USP series guns have even special opening in firing pin channel (close to firing pin "fireing" end), that enables putting few drops of lubricant. I must admit that I put there few drops of Militec-1 from time to time. No evil outcome after some 6000-7000 rounds. Can you kindly explain reasons, maybe I'm doing something terribly wrong? :blink:

Ditto, even a tiny amount of crud in the firing pin channel can put sufficient drag onto the pin to cause a light strike misfire. On my guns, I take the slide off and use spay acetone cleaner and just hose it straight into the FP hole in the breech face until it pours out underneath. I have done that on many autos and even when I didn't detail clean for many thousands of rounds, the channel was free of crud and required almost no cleaning (a quick swab with a Q-tip).

IIRC, the glock also has an "oiling hole" underneath the slide going to the striker channel. But I seriously doubt it's really for oil but more like an opening for gunk to come out. :unsure:

Yeah, that's my take on it. If there is air or water in there, it needs someplace to go. Having it squeeze out around the firing pin portion of the striker through the hole in the breechface is a bad idea. As an experiment, someone should weld up that hole and see how many light strikes they have as a result of trying to compress air, not to mention other "gunk" (thanks for the technical term, mco ;) ).