Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone try the Carver 4 port comp on an M&P 40?

msg73

Now that there are more frame mounted optic options, I'm looking to convert my M&P 40 to an open gun. I live in a restricted state so there's no mag capacity benefit of going with 9mm. I was wondering how the Carver 4 port comp works in 40 vs 9mm? Also, does it shoot a flat as a 2011 open gun?

I am no expert but it is my understanding that comps only work well when the round is generating a lot of gas. I don't know that you could ever get that with a 40 S&W round in a polymer gun. But again, I am no expert.

Will you reload 40 or run factory ammo? I do not think that factory 40 makes major. I went with the 9-Pro for my open gun, with the carver 3 port comp. I pull the comp off for idpa, and I run it with the comp for uspsa minor and steel. I don't reload yet, saving my brass for when I will make my own 9 major rounds. It does not run flat with 9 minor. The comp does work, maybe not very efficient, but I really enjoy the way it looks and the way it runs.

Will you reload 40 or run factory ammo? I do not think that factory 40 makes major. I went with the 9-Pro for my open gun, with the carver 3 port comp. I pull the comp off for idpa, and I run it with the comp for uspsa minor and steel. I don't reload yet, saving my brass for when I will make my own 9 major rounds. It does not run flat with 9 minor. The comp does work, maybe not very efficient, but I really enjoy the way it looks and the way it runs.

Factory 40 easily makes major.

msg73, I decided to mod my m&p for open in part due to the nj mag restrictions. I would have had to pin those great normal capacity open gun mags, I just could not bring myself to do it. I went with the Carver comp & KKM barrel, and have just had my slide cut to mount the RMR. I have the 9-Pro though, as I also use it for steel and idpa.

Yes, I reload. Generally, factory ammo doesn't work the comp that well. You really need to use a slower powder to get more gas flowing through the comp. I have some AutoComp powder that I plan to reload with with a 135 or 155gr bullet. I was looking for some feedback on the 4 port Carver comp and how it works with major loads.

Most likely a c-more slideride on the Carver frame mount, Still debating on whether I should build a 2011 open gun. As you know, in NJ we need a permit for each pistol and I don't have any left. So, I would have to go through the entire application and waiting process :angry2: