Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stag 3G, JP Build ordered, or build? For competition AR

shtr3

Im looking for a good 3-gun rifle to start out with. I have really done some research on the Stag 3g, that you choose all the options from the website to have built, and also have the option to choose optics from the factory. Ive also looked at the rifle build at JP Enterprises and that seems to be a good option as well, but no sight options or optic options, and you really cant choice any of the internals you want, as you can on the 3G. Or could you go a little cheaper building your own 18" rifle for competition with all competition parts. Money is an issue somewhat, thats why im looking for your points that any of you can share with your experiences and choices. Thanks in advance.

Edited by shtr3

JP is great...

If money is an issue (you stated it is), one can still get a fine (and less expensive) gun in the Stag 3g, or the DPMS 3g, etc. One can even assemble a fine gun on a budget IF one shops very carefully and has the skills tools to do the assembly.

Lots of options.

Good luck!

All good choices but another option...

Get something like a S&W MP-15 ORC, add an inexpensive red dot and a BUNCH of ammo and go shoot some matches. After you find you like the sport (or maybe not) and see what others are shooting, what features you like and don't like, and understand the pros and cons of more options you'll be a smarter consumer and can either build up a rifle using the M&P as a core or sell it and get something else.

But hey, if you got the cheddar for a $2k+ rig go for the JP.

I started with a BushMaster that I got on a O/U trade in.

I replaced the trigger group with JP. Then I replaced more parts. I pretty much standardized on JP.

I gave the Bushmater to a friend after I replaced the Barrel(SabreDefense), JP hand guard, JP Bolt/Assembly.

The morale is that you can replace parts as money becomes more available.

I own the 10th Anniversary RM3G plus a spare JP.

The Shooters Source is running a blowout special until the end of the year. Its 20% off anything in stock.

They anticipate getting 18" Nordic competition barrels and Hiperfire triiggers in stock sometime soon. If you decide to build, you can get an excellent start right there.

Bill

http://www.theshooterssource.com

The Shooters Source is running a blowout special until the end of the year. Its 20% off anything in stock.

They anticipate getting 18" Nordic competition barrels and Hiperfire triiggers in stock sometime soon. If you decide to build, you can get an excellent start right there.

Bill

http://www.theshooterssource.com

This is what I did. I went nuts and waited for the holiday sales. I saved a bunch, and made no compromises. Lower is 7 days away (CA), but everything else is here waiting. been an expensive 3 weeks, but it could of been a lot more without the sales. I bought from shooters source, carbon arms, Had a coupon from Jobobs, and one from midway. Got it all, including a "good" scope for just under $2k. I think it's cheaper in the long run to get all the right parts the first time. hope this helps.

JL

Im looking for a good 3-gun rifle to start out with. I have really done some research on the Stag 3g, that you choose all the options from the website to have built, and also have the option to choose optics from the factory. Ive also looked at the rifle build at JP Enterprises and that seems to be a good option as well, but no sight options or optic options, and you really cant choice any of the internals you want, as you can on the 3G. Or could you go a little cheaper building your own 18" rifle for competition with all competition parts. Money is an issue somewhat, thats why im looking for your points that any of you can share with your experiences and choices. Thanks in advance.

Stag is the best budget entry. Great gun for the money. But if you want the best JP is the way to go in my opinion. I started out thinking that JP could not be all everyone said they were having no experience with them really as a LEO and then after finally taking the plunge and getting one I have to say its the best AR I have owned to date and I have had Noveske's Larue's Colts, Stags, Bravo Company, Daniel Defense all in my safe at one point or another. JP is the one AR I have owned that exceeded all my expectations. I can't say enough good about JP they make good stuff.

Pat

The Stag 3G is the best bang for the buck in a rifle built specifically for 3 gun. If your time is worth anything you can't build the same gun for the $1450 it retails for.

It is inevitable that you will change parts on your gun multiple times trying new stuff. I has drinkers with my Stags and I've tinkered with the JP I had. I always suggest starting with the Stag as it is the least expensive.

If you want Optics go to Optics Planet. They have it all and more.

In the process as I type. Saved some money here and there, but went "ALL IN" on a JP Low Mass complete BCG and buffer, from CPWSA Picked up Shooters Source last in stock Nordic 18" barrel, saved 20%. Lower is a billet Quentin Defense, upper in a QD billet slick side, Comp is a Miculek (freebie). AP Customs 15" hand guard off the other rifle.

Stag and JP shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence. That's like asking should I get a glock or a 2011. Nothing wrong with either, but targeted at different consumers.

JPs can be ordered to spec (including internals) using the worksheet on their website and you can order mounts and optics directly from them as well (also on their website). If you order it all at once they might even cut you a deal...at least that was my experience

Honestly -- it's nice that JP offers you options -- but if it's a first rifle you should probably refrain from calling your own shots. Shoot the guns of friends of yours and try to figure out if you like heavy or light guns.....

Decide whether you want to do irons or optics....

Then call JP and explain to them what you want/need out of the rifle: I'd like a lightweight gun, that I can shoot with a fixed 4x ACOG -- so I'll need some back up irons on the handguard. I'd like to retain the option of shooting it with irons -- so 16" tunes are out. I want to shoot 3 -gun, and our longest shots are at xxx yards. What do you recommend?

Then listen to them -- and when they give you a price, cut them a check. They're experts at building a rifle to your needs. I'd buy another in a heartbeat -- but the original keeps running....