Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Issues with Pet Load - Dan Wesson Guardian 1911 9mm

TicoCafe

Hi Guys... I am having issues with my Pet Load chambering on my Dan Wesson Guardian 1911 in 9mm.

I am using a Dillon progressive press, Bayou Round Nose 124gr, 3.8grains Titegroup @ 1.145 OAL. Pet Loads have been working perfectly for my Glock 19, Dan Wesson PM9, M&P 9.

Bought the DW Guardian yesterday and it is only taking "some" of my reloads and the Cases are getting stuck in the barrel and failing to eject.

First Row of photos shows the cartridge failing to seat fully in the barrel, it is too "fat" at the bottom of the case. Interesting enough the cartridge passes my Dillon 9mm Case gauge with no issues.

Second Row of photos shows another reload cartridge that seats fully in the barrel...no issues here.

3rd Row of photos shows Factory Ammo fully seated...no issues here.

1. My question is this normal?

2. How is it passing the case gauge and falling to load in the barrel?

3. Is the barrel too tight because its a match barrel, bad barrel?

I'm out of ideas...anyones input is appreciated.

Cheers

Philip

post-45154-0-82829300-1387163723_thumb.j

Edited by TicoCafe

I would try screwing your sizing die down farther. You may have gotten some brass from a hotter load or possibly from a 9 major gun that is bulged more at the base. Probably a combination of a tight barrel and slightly bulged brass.

Thank you for the reply...

Good point... I'll check the sizing die again.

Interesting thing is that the bad cartridge fits my Dillon case gauge with no issues but it does not fit the barrel as pictured above.

Are all 9mm case gauges the same...? I only have the Dillon to go by for now.

Edited by TicoCafe

Does the bad round pictured above chamber in your PM-9 ?

Do you have calipers to measure the bulge at the bottom of the bad round? It's visibly bulged, but that doesnt mean the chamber is in spec. My PM-9 chamber was horrible. Factory WWB would lock up the gun. It's been 100% since it was reamed.

Philip, take the barrel out of your gun and try dropping rounds into the chamber

by hand - see if they drop in AllTheWay. :cheers:

I did...See the pic on 1st post. Some rounds will seat all the way and some won't. Even through ALL the rounds tested will seat all the way on the Dillon case gage.

The more I read on the topic... the fix could be to use a Lee factory crimp die replacing the Dillon crimp die. The slight bulge on the bottom of the case is not being remedied by the Dillon Sizing die. The Lee fixes that issue supposedly.

I'm also ordering a Wilson case gage as I read it has tighter tolerances than the Dillon.

Edited by TicoCafe

Do you have calipers to measure the bulge at the bottom of the bad round? It's visibly bulged, but that doesnt mean the chamber is in spec. My PM-9 chamber was horrible. Factory WWB would lock up the gun. It's been 100% since it was reamed.

Unfortunately I already sold the PM9 so I can't compare. How do you get the barrel reamed? Any recommendations on where to send it?

Unfortunately I already sold the PM9 so I can't compare. How do you get the barrel reamed? Any recommendations on where to send it?

1. Call DW and talk to them. They may just have you send the barrel and would check and ream if needed.

2. If it is your reload and not the barrel, I would use a EGW/Lee U-Die (sizing die), not the FCD, especially with moly/lead bullets. (although many people use the FCD and it works great for them)

Edited by DWFAN

One does occasionally get a very tightly chambered pistol. Since you just got yours it is possible that it is very tight. If you are otherwise happy with it you could leave it alone and change your dies to one of those U-die (undersized sizing die) types (I wouldn't use the Lee Factory Crimp type though) and perhaps solve the problem. Otherwise, a call to Dan Wesson and perhaps sending the barrel in for a more generous chamber reaming might be in order.

Thank you for everyone's input...you all have been very helpful.

I will be calling Dan Wesson today and see what they can do...

I am thinking I would go for a chamber reaming first from Dan Wesson and if that does not fix the issue then I may look into changing my die into a U-Die from Lee/EGW.

Tico,

1.145" sounds a little long. Try seating your bullets a little shorter. What you described is actually very common. Many gun makers don't put any free-bore in their barrels, so the bullets get stuck on the leade even before the case fully chambers.

Stock barrels will chamber most factory loads, but when you reload, it's not guaranteed even if they chamber in a case gauge.

So you have 2 options: seat your bullets shorter. In the CZ forum, some members even go as short as 1.1" or even less; or ream your chamber to add some freebore (this is what I've been doing with my guns).

Remember, if you seat your bullets shorter, pressure will also increase.

Good luck.

Edited by walnutty

I had the same issue with a Kimber Target II, I contacted Kimber and they said send it back and they would take a look at it, BUT they said it was probably my reloads and I shouldn't shoot reloads. Bull pucky. I called a local gunsmith and told him about my issue. He said probably a tight chamber/lead. Could have been cut with a slightly worn ream. His fix reream and see how it does. $45 later the gun runs like a Singer.

I load my 124gr RN to 1.135 and HP's to 1.125 they work great in all my other 9mm. I wasn't going any shorter.

Edited by mjmagee67

There is no problem with the barrel, but it would not hurt to load to OAL of 1.125 to 1.135.

It is obvious the first case has buldged. There are numerous causes of the case buldge and one sure remedy LEE Under size die. It will catch any buldge and correct it. It will also require you to use case lube!

Make sure you are not belling so much as to cause the case to buldge. I have seen once fired range brass with the buldges and a normal sizing die will not remove the buldge. Some folks are running hot 9 Major loads and the brass will buldge also.

I also use a Lee u-die to size all my 9mm brass. No problems chambering in my Sti Edge, Sti Eagle and Sig X5. I also have a Springfield EMP with a tight chamber where about 1 or 2 out of 100 of my reloads will not pass the plunk test. I just separate them out and shoot them in my other guns. As long as i separate them out the gun runs one hundred percent. I suppose I could send the gun back Springfield and have the chamber recut but I would just as soon leave well enough alone. Ray