Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet crimp not holding?

mitommy

I'm having a problem with my reloads. Sometimes the bullet is not held by the crimp. I know because when I test the hold by pushing the completed round against my bench, the bullet goes into the case. When I pull the bullet it has an indent from the crimp.

The components are Berry's 124 gr Rn (9mm)

I use mixed brass and it happens with different brands.

I use Lee dies, including factory crimp die

The press is a Dillion 550b

I've been using this set-up for years without any problem until my last run. In that batch I had about 10% whth this problem. I'm setting up for another run and as I test things out, I'm having the same problem.

Does anybody have any ideas?

This is why I switched to a Udie. Certain brass has thinner case walls than others. Namely Fed and CCI/Speer. I was getting set back with Dillon dies.

Measure the diameter of the bullets. You may have gotten a batch that are slightly undersized. If so, they may take them back or offer some ideas.

Personally, if none of the above bears fruit I would loosen up the FCD. Too much pressure in that thing will swage things can cause many problems, including set back.

Maybe measure a handful of bullets and load them up. Then pull them and measure again. This will tell you if the FCD is the problem.

To add to what Sarge said. The crimp isn't what is holding the bullet it is then tension from properly sizing the case. I shot lead for years and had no problems with a regular sizing die and a lee fcd. When I switched to mg I had lots of issues with mixed brass. I switched to a u-die and lost the fcd and the problems stayed away.

Everything Sarge says is right on. You really shouldn't have much of an indent, if any, from crimping. Over crimping can cause your set back problems. Before you crimp, pull the round from the press and see if the bullet is tight. Crimp and try again. If you get the set back then the problem is with the FCD. Back it off.

I would just screw your sizer die down a bit before you went buying any new dies. I had the same problem when I set up my press for 9mm. A quick turn of the sizing die and I have thousands of trouble free rounds downrange.

I know many people talk about the U-die and other dies like it. I'm sure they work great. I just haven't seen a need for them. I load all my ammo with regular ol Hornady dies and haven't had a problem yet.. even with the dreaded GLOCK BRASS!!!!!

Update - I reset all the dies. Then ran some of the brass from the loads that I had problems with (they still had good primers). I used new bullets that I checked the size. The bullets would not hold.

Then I tried with new (range pick-up) brass. I ran 10, everything was fine. I ran a total of 100 and all bullets held fine. I'm not sure what this tells me. But I'll keep running with the "new" brass and do 100% check for a while.

Had this issue with my nickel plated 38 supercomp brass, I didn't want to wait for a u die to ship so I used a 9mm die and 38 super die to size it and it shrunk it so much that I could see a clear bulge from the bullet I the case so I had a ton of neck tension and it fed awesome and no spin on the bullets. No more issues and I'm considering just doing this rather than using the u die I bought.

I would just screw your sizer die down a bit before you went buying any new dies. I had the same problem when I set up my press for 9mm. A quick turn of the sizing die and I have thousands of trouble free rounds downrange.

I know many people talk about the U-die and other dies like it. I'm sure they work great. I just haven't seen a need for them. I load all my ammo with regular ol Hornady dies and haven't had a problem yet.. even with the dreaded GLOCK BRASS!!!!!

I've tried to make this same arguement before but it has either gotten ignored, contradicted, or in so many words suggested that I don't know what I'm talking about. I think some dies are worse than others as far as the need and/or frquency of adjustment, but like you said, adjusting the dies has always taken care of the problem. I'm no master handloader and my expereince is limted to Lee dies, and Dillon dies that came with the Square Deal. I can only say what has worked for me, and the old timers that taught me how to load. I'm just saying that's been my experience, and I'm venting a little, too.