Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullseye powder and 230gn lrn 45acp

Canman

Not certain of the specific bullet you are using, but the Lyman 48th Edition Reloading Handbook shows the #452374 LRN bullet seated to 1.272" with a minimum charge of Bullseye at 4.0 gr. and a maximum at 5.0 gr.

I shot that bullet over 4.5 gr. of Bullseye for years in different 5" 1911 pistols and it worked quite well, with MV's at 800 to 815 FPS depending on the pistol.

Info comes from Lee's second edition. It also has 200gn lswc min and max at 4.0gn bullseye. I have got a bunch of 201 lswc I want to load alittle hotter also. I have 25lbs of Bullseye no need to be stingy with it. This will be range plinking ammo shoot out of fullsize 1911's , HK45 and a Kriss.

Given that you're talking shooting through a 1911 I'm going to assume that you're talking about .45 ACP cartridge. I have the Lee manual as well and mine doesn't list Bullseye for .45 ACP and 230g lead bullet. It is listed under 230g jacketed 5.0 start / 5.7 max OAL 1.260. For a 200g lead bullet it shows 4.0 start and 4.6 max with OAL 1.190. I just bought my book a month or so ago so it should be the most current edition available.

I shoot 4.3 gr of Bullseye @ 1.250 OAL with the 230 gr cast RN. 740 fps from a 5" 1911. Easily makes major.

Thanks. I'm looking for something I can use with my 4" S&W 625 revolver. Looks like somewhere between 4.3 and 4.8 will get me there. I'll have to work up some loads and get access to a chronograph to test with.

The 2004 Alliant Manual listed 4.0gr as the max for a "Target" load with a 230gr LRN. That load was at 13,900 psi (OAL no stated) so there is leeway for a bigger charge. I suspect that 4.5 gr Bullseye will work, but be sure to chrono your loads before a big match. Identical loads shot in different revolvers can result in widely-varied velocities.

.5 gr is a 12.5% jump in powder charge. I wouldn't suggest posting that you "suspect" it woukd be fine when you don't know/have all the details. All that said, try the charge for the lighter projectile over a chrono and see what you get. I can say that I've loaded a bunch of cast 200, 215, 225, and 230 gr cast bullets with BE for a number of different pistols.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest COUNTYGUARDIAN3

Info comes from Lee's second edition. It also has 200gn lswc min and max at 4.0gn bullseye. I have got a bunch of 201 lswc I want to load alittle hotter also. I have 25lbs of Bullseye no need to be stingy with it. This will be range plinking ammo shoot out of fullsize 1911's , HK45 and a Kriss.

Don't remember the exact charge, but I load the 200 LSWC over the recommended charge for HP-38 that is printed on the HP-38 label. Muzzle velocity is published at a few feet over 900. I have been shooting this load in a G21 for a couple of years in GSSF matches. Mild recoil and shoots virtually to point of aim with the factory sights at GSSF distances. Not a Bullseye load but really works well for me.

• 8 years later...
On 9/16/2022 at 9:19 PM, Johnnyapplewhite1 said:

I looked at my book and it said 5.3 gr of unique. I grabbed the wrong powder and grabbed bullseye. Now I've got 40 rounds loaded with 5.3 gr of bullseye. From what I've found online, 5.1 is max load. Should I pull em or try em?

Yeah pull them.

• 9 months later...