Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2014 Revolver Nationals Entries

There was a time when we were all shooting for second place, but that hasn't been true for several years. Leatham nearly beat him last year, and Griffin was extremely close the two years before that.

Without Jerry, it's going to be a race for the Championship, with several serious contenders mentioned above. But even with Jerry in the mix, it was going to be a real race this year.

I will say this: Rob is going to be very hard to beat.

Edited by Carmoney

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though i'm having a 8 shot minor gun being built, I'm signing up as Major. I think, if anywhere - the revo nats will still remain 6 shot neutral

I'll bet you're right. That design crew makes darn sure the SSN is 8-round-neutral every year, and all they would have to do is move (or pull) a few targets here and there to make the Revo Nats 6-round-neutral. I checked major.

I'm in for Major. Haven't got the time or money to set up 8-shot revolvers.

Even though i'm having a 8 shot minor gun being built, I'm signing up as Major. I think, if anywhere - the revo nats will still remain 6 shot neutral

I'll bet you're right. That design crew makes darn sure the SSN is 8-round-neutral every year, and all they would have to do is move (or pull) a few targets here and there to make the Revo Nats 6-round-neutral. I checked major.

I'm in for Major. Haven't got the time or money to set up 8-shot revolvers.

I'm still signed up as Major. I've been practicing with my minor gun for the past 2 matches, but the last few weeks before the match i'm switching back to major.

I'm going to bring both guns, and only make the switch to minor if there is going to be an abundance of 8 shot arrays.

I'm right there with you, still signed up major, bringing both plus backups (turns out it's not easy to find a hard case that holds 4 revolvers.) Minor scoring is painful, and looking at stages from last year, I think I would have picked 6.

Looks like 55 Major and 53 Minor. Wonder what the final tally will be.

Griffin and TGO are listed as Minor, Wolfe and Olhasso are listed as Major.

The 2 most identified with USPSA, Revo or not, are going Minor, for now. And the 2 more readily identified with ICORE are going Major, for now.

Should be an interesting clash. Figure all are trying to play to their strengths.

It would be very interesting to see a scorecard with top ten finishers that are split between the 2 platforms.

Trying to figure out how to break down a match to figure out which one is better hasn't been easy for me so far. Individual stages are one thing, but figuring out how to compare them to each other over several is another.

TGO's accuracy is insane, and I don't think he throws down the screaming reloads of the full time revolver guys, so it seems to me he will dominate with the 8. That and he likes to count to 8.

Speed seems to dominate over points (within reason) at the top of this sport, so I think if the 8 let's shooters go faster, it's the right gun for the match.

Also the fact the single stack match will still be going on during revolver registration will add to the mystery of which gun you decide to shoot. I'm only bringing my minor gun.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

Also the fact the single stack match will still be going on during revolver registration will add to the mystery of which gun you decide to shoot. I'm only bringing my minor gun.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

from what I understand. ..very little changed between the SS and revo match

Speed seems to dominate over points (within reason) at the top of this sport....

I completely disagree. Regardless of division, the top guys negotiate the stages in roughly the same amount of time. At the top levels, points win matches.

Speed seems to dominate over points (within reason) at the top of this sport....

I completely disagree. Regardless of division, the top guys negotiate the stages in roughly the same amount of time. At the top levels, points win matches.

There is a point there, however depending on stage design, if one shooter has to take longer on a stage because of his or her equipment (8 shot or 6 shot), time is the controlling factor. If all make the points time is the controlling factor, conversely if all make the same times points are the controlling factor. Between the 8 and 6 shots it will be time, between either all 6 or all 8 shots it will be points. I am just thinking outside the box. Yes they do let me out of the box every so often.

I agree with you Mike, when they are on the same platform. But if the top shooters are split between major and minor, the shooters that choose minor saw the value of speed.

Has this issue ever come up with another division? SS seems to scream major given the fact that 8vs10 isn't as much of an advantage compared to our issue.

OK, I understand what you're saying.

The issue does arise--although not perhaps to the same degree--in SS. 8-major is unquestionably the way to go at SS-specific matches like the Single Stack Nationals and the WSSSC, but there is still a very healthy debate among SS shooters (of which I am one) as to whether 8-major or 10-minor is best for everything else.

As always, it's very much dependent on stage design.

I 100% agree it's stage dependent.

I see you're signed up for SS nationals. Will you be bringing an 8 shooter and switching to minor if you think it's beneficial? Will you let the decisions of the top 5 (on paper) sway yours? I ask because you have much more experience with bigger matches, and how the final scores shake out.

from what I understand. ..very little changed between the SS and revo match

There wasn't much changed last year

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I was not at the match last year, but yep - heard very little to nothing was changed between the SS match and Revo match.

So, if you had the choice last year, all things considered, would you have shot your 6 shot or 8 shot?

Remember last year 8 shot minor was not an option and now that it is a lot could change on stages between the SSC and the Revolver Nationals. Time will tell and those who stay late after Saturday's Single Stack is completed will know for sure if they stay long enough to see the changes or if we are given a course of fire book at check in. This is as exciting as Christmas as nobody knows until we are there and it is set up.

Like Forest Gump said "Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get" :goof:

after Saturday registration I don't think you will be able to change from major to minor. If remember right if you register major and change to a 8 shot Sunday AM and fire a 7 the shot it's welcome to open. so staying late to see how the stages are set up could be a bad plan.

Edited by fishhunter3

after Saturday registration I don't think you will be able to change from major to minor. If remember right if you register major and change to a 8 shot Sunday AM and fire a 7 the shot it's welcome to open. so staying late to see how the stages are set up could be a bad plan.

I dont understand...saturday registration ? The match is on sunday, why wouldn't you just sign in sunday morning, but check out the stages on Saturday and figure out what gun to shoot

Sunday Shooters:

Check In: 11:00 am to 1:00 pm, and 4:00 pm to 7:00 pm on Saturday, May 3 in the PASA Club Office at Smith & Wesson Hall / PASA Park.

Mandatory Shooter’s Meeting 7:30am Sunday morning at the range. Shooting starts immediately after.

Sunday Shooters:

Check In: 11:00 am to 1:00 pm, and 4:00 pm to 7:00 pm on Saturday, May 3 in the PASA Club Office at Smith & Wesson Hall / PASA Park.

Mandatory Shooters Meeting 7:30am Sunday morning at the range. Shooting starts immediately after.

ohhh. Ok. Gotcha. Didnt realize reg was on sat

thanks

The check is in the mail for one more. My wife decided to give revolver a try. Jumping in with both feet 1 month before nationals. Will be a minority though shooting 6 minor because that is the gun that fits her the best.