Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pistols at ICORE matches.

Yes, I know it goes on. My club doesn't allow it, however I do shoot at other clubs that do. I think it is in poor taste and tacky. I am sympathetic of low numbers at matches and revenue helps keep clubs alive.

I find it frustrating looking up ICORE videos and having to weed through the pistol footage.

<rant off>

Your thoughts?

I've only shot two ICORE matches but at both of them we had bottom feeders shooting. Our ratio runs about 50/50 between revolver and bottom feeders. Even with the bottom feeders we only had 10 shooters at our November match. If I were the MD for our local match I would be hard pressed to setup 4 stages for 5 shooters.

I have mixed feelings about it as well. Before I owned a competition revolver I asked several times if I could shoot my bottom feeder with magazines loaded to six rounds. I was repeatedly told that I could not. I have only seen it happen once. Not a big issue here.

ooooh, get the popcorn out. :mellow:

Our last ICORE match only had 7 revolvers in it I believe. The original intent years back was to allow someone to come shoot their semi a few times to get them exposed to it.... let them shot a revolver of someone else's on a stage perhaps. You know.... lure them in and get em hooked. As stated above.... with only a handful of revolvers, you'd be hard pressed to justify setting up all the stages, tear down, etc.

Side Note: I JUST got my ICORE membership card.... that was applied/paid for, back in September. :surprise:

Mr Clean I have noticed that ICORE is a little slow processing Membership Applications. I have a non-local club member that sent in his application about the same time as yourself. I have been looking on the membership rouster for Missouri to get his ICORE Number for my Club List. Last time I looked, probably a week ago, he still was not on it.

At our Club we shoot Defensive Pistol every other month, alternating with Reactive Steel Challenge. We shoot Defensive Pistol and Reactive Steel Challenge on Saturdays. We shoot ICORE on Sunday. What I do is set up Defensive Pistol where it will work with my ICORE Match as well. This way we do not have to reset half the matches every year. Round count is another issue as we normally shoot 50 rounds in a Defensive Pistol Entry and 100 on an ICORE Match entry. What I have done is design stages with either 2 or 3 different round counts. I do not shoot over 18 rounds in any of my ICORE Stages that I design. I have them files like this: Car Jacking at the Mall (6 Round) Car Jacking at the Mall (12 Round) Car Jacking at the Mall (18 Round). Same Prop set up, same number and placement of targets, just a different set of instructions on how to shoot the Stage.

This lets me set a stage up with say 12 rounds for Defensive Pistol, and it can be an 18 round Stage for ICORE with the same props and targets, just more shots.

At this time we are switching targets between IDPA Silhouettes Saturday, and ICORE D1's for Sunday. Since our Defensive Pistol Match is not a Sanctioned IDPA Match, and we skip about 75% of the IDPA Rules anyway, we are probably going to D1 targets for the Defensive Pistol match when we run out of IDPA targets. We have discovered that the D1's hold up better to rain. The IDPA targets have the head droop when they get damp.

We have between 10 and 20 show up for our Saturday Match's depending on weather, etc. Our Sunday ICORE Match has been from 5 to about 7 so far. We have 4 Matches under our belt so far. We have 7 club revolver shooters when I get all of them at the range together at the moment. We have been getting some other ICORE Shooters showing up slowly. I am expecting the North Arkansas ICORE shooters to start coming back to life shortly and showing up to shoot with our Southern Missouri Club.

I have no plans to allow Bottom Feeders in our ICORE Match.

My brother and I set up all 3 handgun matches at our club. We also shoot in all 3 matches. To us 5-7 shooters is enough to fool with. We allow multiple entries which helps out also. First entry $10 all additional entries $5 each. Only the first run in a division counts. BUT you can enter in Classic, Limited, or Open in Centerfire, AND Classic, Limited, or Open in Rimfire.

Normally if we have a low turn out, everyone just shoots more runs. It is nice to have enough time to shoot my 686 in Classic, my 610 in Limited, my 617 in Classic Rimfire, and my 2" Combat Masterpiece in Club Snub Division if the weather is nice, and I have time. OR a second run with the same revolver for fun/practice. For me Matches are my practice.

My thoughts for Clubs with low numbers of revolver shooters, would be have lower round count matches (100 Round Max).

Encourage shooting more than a single entry.

Set up enough stages Rimfire Friendly so that shooting rimfire is not a problem. For example you can set up all Reactive Steel in the last Stage or Two and skip shooting it in Rimfire. OR rimfire can Ping Steel, and not knock it over.

Basicly encourage the limited number of revolver shooters you have to shoot more entries in the match.

We had a shooter drive in from a long way off. He was concerned he would not get in enough shooting to make the trip worthwhile. He ended up shooting in Classic, Limited, and Open on the same day, plus a second run for fun/practice in Classic. He had a ball, got in plenty of shooting, and had Classifier Stages sent to ICORE in Classic, Limited, as well as Open from the same match.

Just My 2 Cents.

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

I run the ICORE match at the Hogue Range, and we have been allowing pistols to shoot our match for years. The motivation is partly to have more shooters at the matches since ICORE is our venue with the lowest attendance. The other motivation is to let everyone come shoot a fun match with really friendly people whether they have a revo or not. Sometimes the pistol shooters are friends or family of a regular revo shooter who want to come see what we do. Sometimes the pistol shooters are kids shooting .22s who want to learn how to shoot in a competition with movement. On rare occasions, the pistol shooters liked our match and our crowd so much that they went out and bought a revo. We want to encourage people to shoot matches regardless of their equipment. The ICORE crowd has (in my experience) been more accepting and welcoming than the other shooting sports.

• 3 weeks later...

I started out shooting .22 at my local rim fire match. Our club also lets .22's shoot at uspsa and Icore matches. I loved both uspsa and Icore and now have guns for both sports. It took me over a year to get a 9mm and 2 1/2 years to get a revolver. If someone would have said that my .22 could not shoot the match......then I may have never have joined uspsa and Icore. My son now shoots his .22 at the revolver match and would love to have a revolver of his own.

What are the upsides?

1. Some that already shoot Idpa or Uspsa may like Icore and buy a revolver.

2. New shooter can bring any gun (me with my .22) and get started in the shooting sport.

3. More money for the club.

4. What is more fun than beating a tricked out STI? :lol:

At Wolverton Mountain Gun Club, Ariel, WA,

all our Practical Pistol Matches are .22 friendly....If we have falling steel, "PING" counts as a hit.

scoring is Major, Minor, .22....

We encourage shooting a second gun for a reduced fee...brings more $.

.22's are lots of fun, no brass chasing.