Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pro Chrono Digital Coffin

Has anyone ever built a coffin for their Pro Chrono Digital? I have access to an indoor range but I do not think the Fluorescent lights work well with a chrono. Don't they affect the chrono? I am thinking about building a box and mounting recessed lights on the top of the box so I can chrono in a nice warm place this winter. Any thoughts?

Fluorescent lights are a no go. I'm not sure the lights in the box will work. I think they need to be in the skyscreens themselves? Probably get the light kit for what you would spend dinking around with a box.

Agree--fluorescent are out. They have a flicker rate that fouls up the sensors and they see strange objects.

Indoor we provide background room lighting that avoids the sensor staring into a bright incandescent light source. Overhead cans w/65 watt bulbs, out of the line of sight of the sensors, worked well using a Ruger 10/22 test 22LR ammo. We had a 22LR catch target system from WalMart that worked just fine. No ricochets escaped the system.

I am going to be doing some Chrono work at my local range in January and I will use a halogen work light to provide a solid light indoor light source for the sensors. The normal range fluorescence lighting will be turned off where they can be detected by the sensors.

Hope this helps. Keep it simple. Have fun. Don't shoot the Chrono!!!

Chuck

This is what you need:

https://www.competitionelectronics.com/view-shooting-products.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=23&category_id=7

It's pricey but works well. The main down side is the requirement for an additional power source.

You can also try bright, incandescent flood lights directly over the chrono. I had mixed luck with the floods and bit the bullet for the IR setup above.

This is what you need:

https://www.competitionelectronics.com/view-shooting-products.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=23&category_id=7

I had mixed luck with the floods and bit the bullet for the IR setup above.

So does the CE product put out IR or visible light? The product page doesn't say.

This is a way that I solved the problem.

2 or 4 (if using 2 chronos) hockey puck lights.

2 or 4 22lb rare earth magnets (3/4" in dia)

2 or 4 washers taped to the top of the lights.

Hold light under diffuser and place magnet on top of the diffuser.

IMG_0380_zps8f8e068b.jpg

IMG_0379_zps820d0307.jpg

• 4 weeks later...