Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alliant E3 for Newbies

Smitty79

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine purchased a Dillon powder measure to use on his Lee press. After a little trimming on the hardware and the purchase of a stiff spring to go on the power bar he now can use e3, 700X or most any of the flake type powers without a problem. I can get a picture of the measure if you are interested.

I would like to see a picture of this. My auto disks are pretty good if you like the charge they throw but there are some 'tweeners I wish I could adjust it to. And yes I have the adjustable charge bar but it is useless with small charges.

You can get the Dillon springs, I suggest using two of them. On the Lee auto disk, take one slightly smaller than what you want to "throw" and ream it out a little until you get the exact charge you want.

A friend of mine purchased a Dillon powder measure to use on his Lee press. After a little trimming on the hardware and the purchase of a stiff spring to go on the power bar he now can use e3, 700X or most any of the flake type powers without a problem. I can get a picture of the measure if you are interested.

Please do. I bought a trickler yesterday and let me tell you loading just 50 rounds with the perfect powder measure and trickler was painful. I wanted to make certain that every round was exactly 3.9g (chrono test loads) and I'd estimate it took me over an hour just to load those 50 rounds.

I have a LNL powder measure on my Lee press and cannot be happier.

Any issues getting it setup?

None

Loadmaster has it and looking to add another to the classic turret.

You need the LNL powder measure, case activated powder drop and the pistol rotor ( I added this because I load a good amount of 9mm ) I added the .355 case expanding bushing.

Is yours set up to flair the case mouth or just drop powder? I have been thinking about one of these but the cost of the powder measure plus the case activated linkage plus the pistol drum plus the case expander has me holding off. I would want to be real sure before I did that.

Is yours set up to flair the case mouth or just drop powder? I have been thinking about one of these but the cost of the powder measure plus the case activated linkage plus the pistol drum plus the case expander has me holding off. I would want to be real sure before I did that.

On the loadmaster, first the Lee 9mm recap/sizer, second Lee universal flare which helps keeping the case aligned durning priming, third is LNL powder measure with the case activated powder drop and I use the .355 case expander so it makes sure it is flared and sits inside the case durning the powder drop (the non expander sits on top), forth I seat and fifth is the Lee factory crimp.

Works better with flake powders than the pro disk, never had problems with the pro disk dropping WSF,7625,231/hp38,bullseye, power pistol,universal,WST.

I have $170 into the LNL powder setup. With the tuned loadmaster I am very happy with quality and quantity of 9mm. Have the classic turret for 270,243,7.62x39,45acp.

Here is the Dillon I modified to work with the Lee Turret press. First I trimmed off the metal safety finger so it would clear the body of the press without the rod having to pull the powder bar back. This makes the newer powder measures work like the older ones and the powder bar operates smoothly without the loud and abrupt clack when the heavy spring returns the powder bar back to reset.

Dillon1.jpg

Below shows the amount of clearance needed so the metal finger clears the body of the press.

Dillon2.jpg

Here is the spring that was added and purchased at Fastenall to return the powder bar with authority.

Dillon4.jpg

I used an 8/32 screw to replace the safety return bar with 2 nuts on the back to act as a lock so that the small space needed could be set. This allows for the powder bar to operate without the return rod.

Dillon3.jpg

Below is the spring I used from Fastenall.

Dillon6.jpg

And while we had it all a part I added one of these that was purchased off of FleaBay for ease of adjustments.

Dillon5.jpg

I have an RCBS Chargemaster, it meters all the powders I have tried very well, the amount of time it takes varies pretty considerably depending on grains and powder type. I haven't tried E3 in it yet but I have some and can try it if you like. Let me know.

E3 does meter very well out of my Dillon powder measure.

Here is the Dillon I modified to work with the Lee Turret press. First I trimmed off the metal safety finger so it would clear the body of the press without the rod having to pull the powder bar back. This makes the newer powder measures work like the older ones and the powder bar operates smoothly without the loud and abrupt clack when the heavy spring returns the powder bar back to reset.

Dillon1.jpg

Below shows the amount of clearance needed so the metal finger clears the body of the press.

Dillon2.jpg

Here is the spring that was added and purchased at Fastenall to return the powder bar with authority.

Dillon4.jpg

I used an 8/32 screw to replace the safety return bar with 2 nuts on the back to act as a lock so that the small space needed could be set. This allows for the powder bar to operate without the return rod.

Dillon3.jpg

Below is the spring I used from Fastenall.

Dillon6.jpg

And while we had it all a part I added one of these that was purchased off of FleaBay for ease of adjustments.

Dillon5.jpg

Bowenbuilt,

Does this mod alleviate powder kernels dropping out when the failsafe rod brings the slide back after dropping a charge? This drives me nuts on my 650 and I want the slide to return with the handle, but I want to keep the failsafe rod.

Also if you use the screw to lock the bell cranks together, I think that you can just rotate that screw to the other end of the slot and have no need to grind the one with the hole in it.

It would be the best scenario to keep the failsafe rod but on the Lee, while not impossible, it would be tough to do. My friend has been using this measure for about 6 months will all types of powders, he has not noticed any leakage even with RS Competition which seems to be the worst for this. If you don't leave some clearance for the 2 plates to move this measure won't work correctly, yours might be different. I tried the 2 Dillon springs but they don't have enough umph to bring the powder bar back every time, this one makes the powder bar follow the handle perfectly without the failsafe rod. I wouldn't try it with stick type rifle powder but with ball or flake it works perfect. I have since converted all of my newer Dillon measures like this with the failsafe rod simply because I could never get used to the loud clack and the powder bar jumping all over the place. I guess the older type measure spoiled me being so smooth and quiet. If you are not using the failsafe rod you need to watch the powder bar to make sure it fully resets even when using the Mondo spring.

Edited by bowenbuilt

E3 is probably the worst powder on the market for any pistol round. There is documented evidence that it causes aids, pregnancy in young girls and general tooth rot. The surgeon general has issued many warnings concerning this powder. The White House has issued a statement that BO is considering an Executive Order banning the use of E3. BATFE has already begun knocking down doors and confiscating E3 where they can find it. I will offer to take your E3 and dispose of it properly. You will need to ship it on your dime or deliver it directly to my house. This is a one time offer only and will expire in 2037. DO IT FOR THE CHILDREN!

E3 is probably the worst powder on the market for any pistol round.

I actually hit the quote button after reading that one sentence thinking to myself "I'm going to set this guy straight" - and then I read the rest of your post. You got me. Good job! If you get too much delivered let me know I'll help you dispose of it :).

Gee, and I have 8 1# canisters of the poison stuff E-3. A whole case in fact. I had planned to sell on here but, now knowing the risk to teenage girls, and the starving folks in China. Maybe I will just keep it.

;)