Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New (l)user reporting!

Montrala

Hi all!

Last weekend I finished my first, lets say evaluation, season in IPSC in Poland. I manged to attend 3 level II matches and some level I matches. I didn't manage to get DQ, so I can still "evolve" ;) I also participate in some IDPA shooting on local level. I do some target shooting with my .22lr pistol. My overall experinece is 3 years of shooting, mostly target with rimfire pistols and rifles. Last 1,5 year I started centerfire shooting (pistols and rifle) with practical pistol shooting and certerfire rifle shooting dominating last year.

What I alredy know is how to shoot, even very fast (sometimes). Also how to change mags quite fast. What I need to learn is how to hit while I'm shooting. Not, that I'm complaining - I can hit targets marked PT every time I see them, and how many times I want. But this have some unexpected impact on my stage score ;) Also steel targest seems to be not scared by my full auto fire in their general direction - they keep standing despite my best effort to scare hell out of them :D But what to hell!! This sport is about shooting, not not-shooting :D So I can at least shoot a lot!! ;)

What I use to shoot? Initially I used my HK P2000 German Police Model 9x19mm to shoot bouth IPSC (Production) and IDPA (Stock Service Pistol). I use it also as my CCW. Now I use HK USP Expert .40SW (with H&S Speedsec 5CW holster for left handed and Sickinger magazine holders) for IPSC Standard, HK P2000 in IDPA. For CCW I use HK P2000SK and HKP2000 (not at the same time :D ). For target shooting I use Haemmerli SP-20 RRS .22lr pistol.

I selected HK for IPSC shooting, as a tool to hlep me learn practical shooting. And I wanted tool that works 100% of time, with every crappy ammo I'll decide to use, even if I don't clean if for ages. HK fits well into this requirements. At least for me :rolleyes: Also I have 100% trust in realiability of HK guns as my carry weapon.

But I already started to look around (like buying other gun would cure my "misses and PTs" problem :unsure: ) for SPS, STI or even SVI. About latter two I herd a lot of good things, but SPS I just found, and it seems I could be able to afford new SPS Standard Plus II (there is zero market on used guns of this quality in Poland). I'm open for any wise words on this issue.

Best regards from Poland!!

..."Also steel targest seems to be not scared by my full auto fire in their general direction - they keep standing despite my best effort to scare hell out of them..."
How funny!! :lol:

Welcome to Brian's Forums...! Yes, somehow MY static bullseye targets often seem to move off center suddenly, avoiding my bullets which were surely and squarely aimed at their centers. I just don't understand how they do it... :rolleyes::D:D

I use it also as my CCW.

Has Poland become an enlightened nation, or are you a person of privilige and influence? In any case, welcome to the sport and be sure to introduce yourself if you ever make it to a match in the US. I would not be surprised if I get you your country one of these days, and my wife still has relatives in Poland. Who knows - rumor has it there is a forum member who is the president of his local Polish-American club lurking here abouts.

"have you considered the CZ Standard IPSC?  "

Yes. I considered one. But seeing CZs in .40SW breaking barrels, frames, lugs all the time made me steer away. In fact that was why I selected Expert - it's indestrucible. I do however managed to destroy some Expert magazines while training mag change drills on range with concrete floor. But HKjs sent me free replacement bodies (they claim to be new, stronger design) to all my magazines. Bit one for HK - them may not make "raceguns", but in other areas this is company no. 1 for me in handguns.

Also CZ here cost only fraction less that is SPS Standard Plus II list price from SPS site :blink:

Has Poland become an enlightened nation, or are you a person of privilige and  influence? 

:lol:

Neither.... :rolleyes:

According to "Small Arms Survey" Poland is along with UK least gun friendly country in the world. Also there is smallest number of legally owned guns per capita in whole Europe. Getting unlegal guns or even assault weaponry is, of course, easy and quite cheap. One can buy Glock 17 on black market for less that getting permit costs.

Gettin gun permit is harder and harder. Our law enables Police to refuse "just becouse". There are no "checkboxes", that you tick and this means you are entitled to get gun permit for sporting, huntig or defence use. Also most of the time Police break law by refusing to give permit or even register lawfully bought weapons. They have no personal responsibilty in breaking laws of higher level by their administrative decisions. Worst that can happen to them is that decision is cancelled by Police HQ or Administrative Court - but most of people fear to appeal. So they just laught "catch me, if you can".

Getting defence (lets call it CCW as in US) is hardest. Guns are limited to caliber between 6.35mm and 9.65mm (yes - no .40 or .45 for CCW :blink: ).

How do I managed to get it, not being person of privilege and influence? I took me 6 months. Police refused, of course, but refusal was made in "lazy" manner (as usual). So I appealed, stating that some points of refusal break even Constitution (we do not have right to self defend in Constitution here, but we have some other rights in dealing with allmighty organisations like Police). My appeal was sustained by Police HQ Law Department (that was most unexpected - I was ready to go court way), so my local Police decided to play safe way ("who knows, maybe this guy is person of privilege and influence, if he's so sure and brave to fight us?") and send me to exam. Most of people who are "from the street" fail this exams, as there is 100% accuracy needed to pass, lot of traps in test, more traps in questions from exam commision. But I made it :D

Having CCW is also heplfull when stopped by Traffic Police - "he must be one of ours, if he carry" ;)

By The Way: Attending match in US is rather not a case for me. Unles US policy toward Poland will change. I can't just stand humiliating visa procedures - they don't want me, I'll go to spend my money somewere I'm wellcome. If this sound sarcastic, it was supposed to sound this way :o

But we will for sure wellcome all foreign shooters in Poland (there is no visa required for US citizens traveling to Poland). I can organise help with gun bringing paperwork (official invitations for competition from PZSS afiliated club is all needed to get consular permit to bring guns in). For 2005 IPSC Grand Prix of Poland we plan 3 level III matches (including IPSC Polish Open) and 9 level II matches.

HI Montrala!

Where in Poland are these lev III matches held next year?

I live in the southern of Sweden and Poland is only a overnight boat trip away.... might be interesting, if Revolver division is recognized in Poland?

Other than the caliber restrictions on carry, there are many simlarities between Massachusetts and Poland (although things are not that bad in some MA towns, a CCW applicant from Poland would feel right at home in Boston and vice-versa). The last time I was in a car that got stopped, the officer called in two backup units (sirens and all) when we answered "yes" when asked if we had guns with us, but it ended up with the driver (another USPSA member) being let off for the traffic offense, and the officer telling us we were properly exercising our right to be armed.

Who knows - rumor has it there is a forum member who is the president of his local Polish-American club lurking here abouts.

Actually Rob, I WAS the president of the local Polish-American association but have relinquished that duty after a couple of years. I am however a current share-holder in two Polish-American clubs in different towns. :)

They are much like gun clubs in that a small percentage of people do all the work and keep the clu going while the majority of members sit on the sidelines. :angry:

Where in Poland are these lev III matches held next year?

I live in the southern of Sweden and Poland is only a overnight boat trip away.... might be interesting, if Revolver division is recognized in Poland?

I think that 2005 IPSC Polish Open will be held in Starachowice (100+km south from Warsaw). Also other level III match (?Krakow Open?) will be in Krakow. I'm not sure about third one - schedule for 2005 is still in development. Best bet is to take ferry to Gdansk (Gdynia), as you can have fairly good possibily to drive a car south (for our standards) or take a train. Roads and trains from Swinoujscie are worse. If you will decide to came, I can prepare trip plan for you for best car or train travel.

In 2004 IPSC Polish Open there was only one shooter classified in Revolver Division. Also Open and Modified are almost non-existent (1-3 shoters on each match). Production dominate, with slightly less people in Standard.

You can see some clips of our teams (Ba-Bach Legia 1 in Production and Ba-Bach STD in Standard) competing in level II matches this year HERE. I'm the only one competitor shooting left handed - if anyone care for some coments (critical) and tips (usefull), please feel free to post them :D

BTW I'm browsing trought FAQs now, to find something on my left-hand / right-eye shooting. I think I must order The Book as Christmas Gift for myself :rolleyes: