Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1100 for 3 gun?

Naka16

Is it even worth considering? I have 2 std 20's, one sporting 12 for trap, so it would be easier for me to get into 3 gun with an 1100 because I'm so used to these. Also have a good amount of spare small parts as well.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 1100 used to be one of the top shotguns in the game, or so I've heard. I don't think anyone would discourage you from using one if it meant getting to shoot or not, but there are currently many better options for 3 gun. The issue that kills the 1100 is loading, even with the easy loader installed, they are painfully slow to reload compared to a properly set up Versamax, Benelli, etc. But by all means, if that's what you have, shoot the crap out of it. I would suggest handling some other shotguns at a match though, and see if you think it's worth it to switch. I'm betting you will.

I run an old 1100 CM, old in age not usage. I bought it NIB from a bankruptcy sale many, many years ago when they were the s**t and put it away. Fast forward to a few years ago when I actually started shooting 3-Gun and got it out of the safe. I installed an EZ loader and did a little dremeling and polishing to the load port and it runs fine for me. I can load it as fast as I could load anything else. I have shot truck loads of skeet with an 1100 and an 1100 Magnum is my Turkey gun so an 1100 feels very comfortable in my hands. I will continue to run my 1100CM until it lets me down, which at my current match schedule rate will be several years. I do not think I would start out with one if I had to buy one, there are other (better?) options these days. But if I could just throw maybe a barrel (or not) and a mag extension on one I already had and get in the game I would go for it.

Thanks for the info. It's just that I seen some used 1100's going for less than $400. But after a new barrel and everything else, I may just consider getting one of those Stoeger 3000's that everyone is talking about. I didn't want to modify my 1100 sporting, as I just got it for trap shooting and its really nice

If its what you have to get started, rock on. But I would not drop a dime into 3gunnerizing one- waste of money. I don't think they have the shootability or reliability to be a "good " 3gun shotgun. I've never had a positive experience with them and I've watched many a squadmate struggle with them.

You can dig out a swimming pool with a shovel, but it is only a little better than a bucket and not even close to a trackhoe.

Lol, so what's the trackhoe? A Benelli I'm guessing? Need a little more than a shove at this point.

You can dig out a swimming pool with a shovel, but it is only a little better than a bucket and not even close to a trackhoe.

Lol, so what's the trackhoe? A Benelli I'm guessing? Need a little more than a shove at this point.

Benelli M2s are probably more like a loader, the 930JM a backhoe. The Vinci, Versa-Max and 1301 are probably the Trackhoes. Somehow excavation equipment and shotguns have some similar appeals.

Really? A 930 JM out of the box would work better than an 1100? I got access to one for a little under $600 new. The stock feels like my pos Mossberg rifle though. Are there aftermarket stocks for the JM? Not looking for wood, but something that's a little better than the hollow plastic.

Edited by Naka16

Just dont accidentally "ghost load" it by not totally clearing the shell catch when you load. Ive seen it happen maybe 4 times. Jams up pretty tight.

This is the reason I hated my 11-87 for 3 Gun. I never did it in a match, but did it plenty when I practiced loading. The only solution I found was to remove the fire control group to get that shell out. It's a bad design for this game IMHO.

Really? A 930 JM out of the box would work better than an 1100? I got access to one for a little under $600 new. The stock feels like my pos Mossberg rifle though. Are there aftermarket stocks for the JM? Not looking for wood, but something that's a little better than the hollow plastic.

Funny how perception is. For me, the JM Pro stock, or ergonomics is just right. And after Rose Action Sports did some magic on it, runs like a boss. Downside is I'm approaching trackhoe money invested. YMMV. But, try out several, and get the one that you like the best. We ask more of our shotguns than any other firearm, shooting shot, slugs, and buck, so why not invest at least as much as you would your AR?

Just dont accidentally "ghost load" it by not totally clearing the shell catch when you load. Ive seen it happen maybe 4 times. Jams up pretty tight.

This is the reason I hated my 11-87 for 3 Gun. I never did it in a match, but did it plenty when I practiced loading. The only solution I found was to remove the fire control group to get that shell out. It's a bad design for this game IMHO.

For sure, I usually see people pull the magazine tube off to fix it. That "feature" alone is enough to never use one.

I ran an 11-87 for years. As long as I kept it well maintained, and changed out a few parts proactively, it ran like a champ. Loading is not so bad as I'm a strong-hand one-at-a-time loader anyway (too old and set in my ways). Once in a blue moon it will let you down - my son had it break in a match this week (broken link) but its been a few years since the last time I had a problem. Overall, if you can get one for a really good price, it is better than many other options out there. However, spending more that $400 on it is wasted money. Don't buy a new barrel - just saw off at 26" and call it good (no choke is OK if you have hotter ammo on hand for the heavier steels). Such a gun will not hold you back as a newbie.

I'd suggest you use one of the 1100s you already have until you save up the $$$ for a Versa Max (my choice), Benelli or Beretta. Buying anything else is just money down the drain... ultimately you will end up buying one of the better guns anyway. The main thing is to get out and start shooting matches.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I have ran a 1100 Tac4 (Comp Master) for about 3 years now. I have done pretty well with it finishing 3rd in the AM division at the 3G ProAm this year. Mine has served me well and IMO it can be a great starter gun. The longer CM loading gate button (or the EZ loader) is a must for this SG. But I do agree with what is being said here, loading it is still a disadvantage compared to other guns. I just ordered a VM last week after checking out a friends. The difference in loading is like night and day. So, don't spend a bunch of money on a 1100 trying to make it something it never will be. Its a great SG, but just not one that can be loaded as quickly as others.

Other than the gas system, what makes the versamax better? My friend had one that had about 2000 rounds through it and parts of the trigger group fell apart. Looked like pot metal parts. Afraid to buy one just for that possible issue

I ran an 11-87 for years. As long as I kept it well maintained, and changed out a few parts proactively, it ran like a champ. Loading is not so bad as I'm a strong-hand one-at-a-time loader anyway (too old and set in my ways). Once in a blue moon it will let you down - my son had it break in a match this week (broken link) but its been a few years since the last time I had a problem. Overall, if you can get one for a really good price, it is better than many other options out there. However, spending more that $400 on it is wasted money. Don't buy a new barrel - just saw off at 26" and call it good (no choke is OK if you have hotter ammo on hand for the heavier steels). Such a gun will not hold you back as a newbie.

I'd suggest you use one of the 1100s you already have until you save up the $$$ for a Versa Max (my choice), Benelli or Beretta. Buying anything else is just money down the drain... ultimately you will end up buying one of the better guns anyway. The main thing is to get out and start shooting matches.

Sage advice.

Put an extended mag tube on the 1100 you have and go shoot. You'll likely have several matches (and maybe even some practice sessions) under your belt before the gun holds you back. By then you'll have seen and handled all the other shotguns the various shooters are running and you can decide what you need/want.

It's not really seen much in 3 gun here, but the Baikal Mp-153 is an option. They were sold by Remington as the SPR453. They are sub- $400..I've seen them as low as $316 shipped from Bud's. They'll take 930 bolt handles and certain 870 extensions. I run one in the very, very, limited amount of 3gun I do. They have a huge loading port. Mine runs 100% on 3 1/4 dram stuff, chokes on the walmart Federal bulk pack stuff. They are supposed to run just about anything once broken in well. Here's one being run in Russia...http://youtu.be/iULYoMl02kE

Edited by pivoproseem