Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The blue bullets-New bullet company

narcop

I have recently tried a new brand of bullets from thebluebullets.com. After using moly coated bullets for quite a while, a couple of local USPSA shooters here in NC started a bullet company. I tried a sample pack, loaded them to major PF in .40 with Clays and tried them out. They worked great. Accurate, no more smoke than any other bullet I have tried and no blue residue in the barrel when I cleaned it. I decided to try them in the next match. I shot my first "A" classifier (this may not be due to the bullets, but who knows....lol). I am sold, these are great bullets, I save on shipping and I get to support a local business. They offer all the popular USPSA calibers and support our sport.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got Nathan to send me some pictures of his products this morning. It looks like we may have a winner here. Sample packs are forthcoming and I will certainly let you know Sarge if they live up to the hype. If these turn out to be what I think they are Bayou may have a little competition in the Carolinas. I can't wait to give them a try.

There is a lot happening with bullets right now. Lots of new technology in coatings etc. Seems so many have minor drawbacks though so it makes it hard to choose anything other than a good jacketed bullet. I like the clean coatings but am not crazy about the bullet profiles of most. I like the profiles of the precision moly bullets but they are just nasty to handle. I have a bullet feeder but I like to keep it clean. I only need about 1000 more since I am an Open shooter at heart and will only dabble in Production a few times a year.

Thread drift ahead...

I went to their website and looked at their bullets. It's just a little pet peeve of mine, but I wish they would have had the lube groove machined out of their moulds. I am assuming they are using automated casters, probably Magma Engineering machines which have 4, two banger moulds.

If this powder coating thing works out for my boolits, I will probably send my Lyman 4 banger moulds to get their grooves milled out, or I will sell them and get something from MiHec, or something else that is a hollow point mould. Makes it easier to powder coat boolits when their hollow point cavities are slipped over pins/nails/screws.

On my press, I can feel a ker-chunk as the coated bullet gets seated, because there isn't anything in the lube groove.

The real "proof is in the pudding" test will be if the blue coating will gunk up the comp on a 9mm Major Open gun. If the comp stays clean, these new bullets will have something over the "black" bullets. They could end up selling like hotcakes!

Thread drift ahead...

I went to their website and looked at their bullets. It's just a little pet peeve of mine, but I wish they would have had the lube groove machined out of their moulds. I am assuming they are using automated casters, probably Magma Engineering machines which have 4, two banger moulds.

If this powder coating thing works out for my boolits, I will probably send my Lyman 4 banger moulds to get their grooves milled out, or I will sell them and get something from MiHec, or something else that is a hollow point mould. Makes it easier to powder coat boolits when their hollow point cavities are slipped over pins/nails/screws.

On my press, I can feel a ker-chunk as the coated bullet gets seated, because there isn't anything in the lube groove.

The real "proof is in the pudding" test will be if the blue coating will gunk up the comp on a 9mm Major Open gun. If the comp stays clean, these new bullets will have something over the "black" bullets. They could end up selling like hotcakes!

Don't like the groove either. This is why I use Precisions when I use coated.

A lot of, if not all, the bullet feeder (collator actually) manufacturers recommend against traditional cast and lubed bullets, I guess because the lube ends up coming out of the groove and gunking up the feeder/collator or the feed plate gets hung up on the groove.

I grabbed a few at the last match (195 gr LRN .40) I am going to pick up a sample pack to shoot, but the only observations I have are they run a little oversized (the 5 I have are .402) and make weight or are slightly above advertised weight (195.2ish)

I too would like the lube groove gone, but that adds weight and more lead to the equation.

I've been shooting the blue bullets for a while now. Mostly the 195 grn 40's with VV N320. They are performing exceptionally well. Very low smoke and I like the round nose profile.

I shot bayou bullets for two years before switching to blue bullets. I have no complaints with bayou bullets. The blue bullets remind me more of the dark green bayous I was buying 2 years ago. The finish on the blue bullets looks more uniform than the new glossy bayous. I shot the blue bullets at the NC sectional match. At the chrono all of my rounds were within 10 fps of each other. That is the closest velocity I've had at a match chrono. I'm impressed with the blue bullet's coating and I will be shooting them from now on.

Edited by CJcycles

Red, blue, green, black, white...http://www.egglestonmunitions.com/

There are two foreign companies that do the same thing but in a bunch of colors, I ordered some sassy pink for a Ladies clinic, but they liked the hot pants red and bumble bee yellow more.

I like the Bayous enough, but when someone does as Sarge suggests and really makes some profiles that work better in the loaders, guns and with greater bearing surface area, then we will have a winner. Bayou has been around for a LONG time, as have Billy bullets. I still have a bunch of the sample bullets I got sent before anyone in the US was polymer coating bullets.

Green for classifiers and red for the chrono?!?! :)

Edited by MarkCO

I like the Bayous enough, but when someone does as Sarge suggests and really makes some profiles that work better in the loaders, guns and with greater bearing surface area, then we will have a winner.

Are the coated bullets with the lube grooves noticeably longer than their jacketed counterparts? This would be a concern to me in addition to the points you mentioned.

I like the Bayous enough, but when someone does as Sarge suggests and really makes some profiles that work better in the loaders, guns and with greater bearing surface area, then we will have a winner.

Are the coated bullets with the lube grooves noticeably longer than their jacketed counterparts? This would be a concern to me in addition to the points you mentioned.

No, they are not. I got mine today and they look great. we will se how they shoot tomorrow.

After using moly coated bullets for quite a while...

Who actually just coats lead bullets with Moly? I tried it once and it was a disaster.

Precision used to coat cast bullets (not just 'moly'), they still have photos of them on their web page.

http://www.precisionbullets.com/IMG/bullet1.jpg

Swaging is faster and likely why they made the switch also harder to beat something into the back side of a corner with no need if coated.

I contacted magma on making a mold without a grease ring but have not ordered one yet. Not sure what would be gained with more bearing surface yet.

To the question of extra lenght, more than one manufacture makes hollow base bullets, that come out close to the same length of the lube grove counter parts. Not to mention folks problems with dealing with the ogive of the "new' precision bullets, like the 230g RN with the flat tip that leads to stuck rounds if you use the same OAL in some barrels because it sticks into the rifling.

Edited by jmorris

If the lube groove is removed, the bullets are heavier and, due to lack of the groove, pressures will go up slightly since the bearing surface is longer.

I would use swaged bullets (see Precision Bullets) for improved uniformity, but if one must cast, then leave the lube groove in.

I had the chance to load and shoot the new Blue bullets yesterday and they are outstanding. Half the sample pack was loaded to minor and the other half at major. Accuracy was as good or slightly better than the others I have been using, very little if any smoke and no fouling in the barrel or chamber. My hands stayed clean while loading and so were my dies when I was through. I was shooting the 180 .40 caliber bullets with e3, it took 3.2 to make 135ish and 3.9 to make 170. The only complaint I have is the diameter which Blue Bullet is working on today to solve. Most of the bullets were

.401 but I had a few that were .402. Nathan at BB is looking into this today to get this resolved. I liked them well enough to place another order and it's always nice to have a company close enough to save the wait and shipping charges. I will try the 147 9mm next and if anyone is interested maybe a few lines about those.

Amazingly they are located just down the road from the shop for Lucky 13 Bullets. Who knew Kernersville, NC would become the bullet manufacturing hub for North Carolina.

I think lead exposure would explain a lot around here. :goof:

I saw these bullets today at the Gun Rack (great store in Kernersville). I talked an old man into buying a bag. I didn't know they were in North Carolina. If it's Nathan's company then I wish them the best of luck. His dad and him seem like pretty good guys.

I just finally bought some Lucky 13 bullets last week and they mentioned they will be adding some copper plated in the future.

Worst case I will use them for practice and best case they will replace my Montana Golds.

I finally got a chance to shoot the new Blue Bullets in 9mm today and also did some further testing with a new batch of 180 grn .40's. I can tell you that Blue Bullets has a new customer. Accuracy was great, no smoke and all the gun barrels were cleaner after shooting than when I started. They are outstanding!